Author Topic: Tyres on the GTi  (Read 8741 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: Tyres on the GTi
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2009, 23:31 »
Mine came with Bridgestones and apart from a couple of episodes of wheelspin when taking off fast from the lights in the wet, they've been fine.  Cornering feels very planted.

Rolfe.

Offline herbie911

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2009, 08:16 »
I think Bridgestones (Mine's RE050) are decent allrounders. 
In a wet country like Britain, it should come with Goodyears as most car mag still rate their tyres light years ahead from every other tyre manufacturers.
If your priority is fuel economy and dry weather grip, you should tried Michelin Pilot sport as their tyres seems to have a much lower resistance than the rest.
Another clue is to look at some top supercars such as 911 turbo (Michelin, Bridegstone), F458(Pirellis), Gallardo (Don't know) and note what tyres they use. I am sure if the tyres is good enough for a 190mph+ car should be ok for a car that can do 149mph!

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2009, 08:43 »
In the same vein Herbie, if the Dunlops are good enough for the Golf R they're fine for my GTI.

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2009, 09:26 »
Hmm, you always get mixed opinions on tyres on forums, it depends of people's driving styles and abilities, and how stupid they're being on the limit.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2009, 15:09 »
Hmm, you always get mixed opinions on tyres on forums, it depends of people's driving styles and abilities, and how stupid they're being on the limit.

Agreed. Also depends on the car, the suspension set-up, the pressure you're running, how much wear there is on the tyre and many other things that might not be equal between the circumstances when one opinion was made against another. I don't think though that anyone should describe a mainstream brand tyre as dangerous or 'sub-standard' when that tyre has been tested, selected and fitted by VW (or any other manufacturer) unless there is a track record of upside-down wrecks with unexplained blow-outs (think Ford Explorer and Firestone).

Sure Dunlop Sportmaxx aren't necessarily the best tyre in the world, but if there was a real problem they wouldn't be on sale.
Golf R

Offline Golf R

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2009, 15:31 »
All branded summer tyres are much of a muchness in winter.
Some just wear out a bit faster.
On the Mk5 my Bridgestone R050's were just as good as the Goodyear F1's I replaced them with.
Mk5 GTI

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2009, 19:02 »

Agreed. Also depends on the car, the suspension set-up, the pressure you're running, how much wear there is on the tyre and many other things that might not be equal between the circumstances when one opinion was made against another. I don't think though that anyone should describe a mainstream brand tyre as dangerous or 'sub-standard' when that tyre has been tested, selected and fitted by VW (or any other manufacturer) unless there is a track record of upside-down wrecks with unexplained blow-outs (think Ford Explorer and Firestone).

Sure Dunlop Sportmaxx aren't necessarily the best tyre in the world, but if there was a real problem they wouldn't be on sale.

Although there is some sense in what you wrote there. Pop over to the mk5 board and type in Dunlop Sportmaxx and read what people who have been using them for a few years on a car (cover you ears kev) virtually identical to the MK6 say about them. The proof is in the pudding... poor quality tyre*.

*this doesnt apply if you just poodle along but drive the GTI as its meant to be, it's hard to trust them.

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2009, 19:44 »
yep, could be anything. The Dunlops get slated but I have them and they're fine.

Give it to above 5000 miles and you'll be wanting new ones. They deform badly accross the tread (Like a 20p shape) and will be noisey or Give a very bad droning sound in the cabin (especially from the Rears).Will make you think your wheel bearings are rumbling.

If you havent already, get the cars Geometry checked soon as.Even though its new.  :smiley:

They are truely an Horendous Tyre after some miles usage. Best Tyres are Michelin Ps2's, Vredestein ultrac's and Goodyear Eagle Assyms.

Hope this helps.

Or if you dont believe this, go to ANY tyre supplier and ask them what tends to happen to part worn Dunlop Sportmax's. They will tell you the same.

Theyre ok to start with but need changing too soon from new.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2009, 19:52 by Phil Mcavity »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2009, 19:56 »
Bridgestone Potenza's on mine, cant compare them to anything, but so far so good.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 20 November 2009, 20:29 »
yep, could be anything. The Dunlops get slated but I have them and they're fine.

Give it to above 5000 miles and you'll be wanting new ones. They deform badly accross the tread (Like a 20p shape) and will be noisey or Give a very bad droning sound in the cabin (especially from the Rears).Will make you think your wheel bearings are rumbling.

If you havent already, get the cars Geometry checked soon as.Even though its new.  :smiley:

They are truely an Horendous Tyre after some miles usage. Best Tyres are Michelin Ps2's, Vredestein ultrac's and Goodyear Eagle Assyms.

Hope this helps.

Or if you dont believe this, go to ANY tyre supplier and ask them what tends to happen to part worn Dunlop Sportmax's. They will tell you the same.

Theyre ok to start with but need changing too soon from new.

Exactly. Mine were shocking by the time i had finished with them... uneven wear across all tyres and this is from a AWD!! I originally thought they were ok despite people slagging them off. Only had to change the front 2 to notice the gulf in class between them and the Goodyears.

Correct me if Im wrong phil... but didnt you have the same opinion when it was suggested that they weren't as good as others?