Author Topic: Tyres on the GTi  (Read 8735 times)

Offline yamz89

• GTI forum regular
Tyres on the GTi
« on: 19 November 2009, 16:33 »
Anybody know what tyres are coming on the 18" Shadow Monza's please?

Cheers
Marc

71' Beetle in Marina Blue
05' Octavia vRS
10' Golf GTi

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
Re: Tyres on the GTi
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2009, 16:44 »
Hi Marc

Bridgestone Potenza's on mine, seem ok, car feels pretty planted in wet and a great drive in dry weather.

Seems to be a variety of tyres on the GTI some have Dunlops and some have continental sport, who knows what you'll get seems to be luck of the draw.

GW
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2009, 18:00 »
yep, could be anything. The Dunlops get slated but I have them and they're fine.

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2009, 18:06 »
I have Continental Contacts on my Monzas.

Dry grip is very good but in the wet the front tyres will spin in second at 30mph and the back end is very twitchy.

I have only done 500 miles so maybe need them to be scrubbed up a bit yet but so far not impressed.
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2009, 18:50 »
yep, could be anything. The Dunlops get slated but I have them and they're fine.

I have them also.. for the second time :embarassed:

IMO they are a horrible tyre that are not worthy of the GTI. Fine when your driving around normally, but when you really push on they seem to scramble for grip.. loss is not progressive but twitchy. The last time I swapped mine for Eagle F1 Assyms and the difference was night and day! I will be changing them at the first opportunity... as the dunlops also seem to suffer from inconsistent wear.. im quite sure this is down to flex in the carcass which is noticable with high speed cornering in the dry.

Offline yamz89

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2009, 19:44 »
it doesn't make sense why they would put on poor quality grip level tyres on a 20K+ car.. You would of thought they'd made sure about that factor.. Fingers crossed we get the Potenza's then
« Last Edit: 19 November 2009, 20:43 by yamz89 »

71' Beetle in Marina Blue
05' Octavia vRS
10' Golf GTi

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2009, 19:49 »
The pictures of the Golf R showed dunlops fitted there too. I was gutted when I got my car because of the slating that I had read on this forum about the Dunlops but really, I think they are a good tyre and significantly better than the Pirelli's on my Scirocco.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2009, 20:32 »
The pictures of the Golf R showed dunlops fitted there too. I was gutted when I got my car because of the slating that I had read on this forum about the Dunlops but really, I think they are a good tyre and significantly better than the Pirelli's on my Scirocco.

the pirelli's are not rated too highly either tbf. I didnt understand all teh fuss when i originally had the Sportmaxx... its only when i changed that i realised what a sub standard tyre they were. Why they then continue to put them on the Golf I have no idea :undecided:

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2009, 20:35 »
Anybody know what tyres are coming on the 18" Shadow Monza's please?

Cheers
Marc

yamz89,
           I requested Bridgestone's when I ordered my car and the dealer told me they would put a request in with the order but would probobly make no difference. They agreed to replace the tyres with Bridgestone's if it arrived without them. I test drove Dunlops and Bridgestone's IMO Dunlop's weren't good! :cool:
2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2009, 20:57 »
Most the press cars the magazines tested of the mk5 GTI when it first came out had dunlops  :evil:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.