Author Topic: Bleeding brakes  (Read 13409 times)

Offline old_n07

• I live here
Bleeding brakes
« on: 22 September 2009, 19:15 »
 This is the official VW proceedure for a brake fluid change, it refers to using a VW bleeding tool but a Gunsons Eezi Bleed can be used instead  :wink:

**Note that the pressure bleed was done with the brake pedal depressed throughout the procedure.

There are also two nipples on the master cylinder just under the fluid resevoir, if you are not getting a good pedal after doing the procedure above you will want to bleed these two nipples as they can make a big difference to the pedal travel, do them after you have got the air out of the calippers :afro:

Neil

« Last Edit: 02 May 2010, 18:50 by old_n07 »
Quote from: mikemk4golf
Hey you're a moderator, I want a serious answer not someone who takes the piss!

Grammar is the difference between Helping your Uncle jack off a horse and Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Not so standard Gt TDi
Cluster Mods FAQ | Miles to Empty Guide

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
Re: Bleeding brakes
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2009, 22:27 »
has anyone done this and had positive results?

jamie16v

« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2010, 22:35 »
going to be doing this wednesday so will let you know how it goes!

Offline vwprime

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2010, 21:58 »
Have bled my brakes tosay using the same method and still having truble geting a pedle.
I see on the MS there are 2 little nipples which could be bled but where in the sequence should this be done?
TRANSFORM, & ROLL OUT!

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2010, 22:03 »
I would say last after the calipers, i had a night mare doing mine and stevepd's after doing rear axle bushes, although didn't do this.
i am guessing you are getting excessive travel.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline vwprime

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2010, 22:08 »
Yes John i am.
Seems all good with the presher on ( from the tyer) and as soon as yout take it off, Nothing. Almost hit the floor :(
TRANSFORM, & ROLL OUT!

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2010, 22:12 »
I assume you have bled it with the peddle down as it says in the instruction, if so i would try it without depressing the brake peddle, see if that helps at all. When mine didn't bleed i took it too my mates garage as it was going in for MOT and they did it when i aske how the did it they said the normal down, up, down, up way.
Also did you have the wheels on the ground as i think this affect it because of the load sensor.
Hope some of this helps.
Lee.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2010, 23:38 »
When I put on my 312 I couldnt get a good peddle no matter what I tried there was a bit there but not what it should have been even took it into the local garage but no joy..  A few weeks after I got talking to a VW technician, told him what was going on and straight way he knew. Some pipe round the back of the engine had cracked and was letting air into the vacuum making the peddle go the whole way in. Put a bit of tape round it and the brakes have been great since. He said it was a problem on mk4 golf they'd even got e-mails about. Not sure if that helps but mite be worth having a look at it, its was near the top right hand coner of the engine cover on my TDI.

Offline vwprime

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2010, 09:12 »
All fixed now yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Left the car over night and came back to it with a fresh start and determination to sort it.
Did every thing ange like it telles you to in the pichers. Got a little bit more air our of the rear caliper this time. After every thing was done likr in the pichers i then did the master sylinder. It a bit of a bugger to get to but bled that. started the car left it for 1-2 mins before trying the braks and thay where back to normal. YES!!!!!

Thank you to all that helped show me the way  :cool: :smiley:
TRANSFORM, & ROLL OUT!