Author Topic: 1.8 8v cab induction kit???  (Read 2040 times)

Offline WideBoyGTi

• Not said much yet
1.8 8v cab induction kit???
« on: 26 September 2004, 13:43 »
Does anyone know if i can get an induction kit for my mk 1 cab, or can you only get hold of a decent Panel filter??

Any help would be great.

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re: 1.8 8v cab induction kit???
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2004, 13:58 »
Short answer - No
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2004, 16:25 »
Does anyone know if i can get an induction kit for my mk 1 cab, or can you only get hold of a decent Panel filter??

Any help would be great.

No pretty sure you cannot get an induction kit, however, a k&n replacement panel filter would be a good investment :)

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2004, 16:31 »
Sorry the last reply was a bit unhelpful - busy day for a change.
You can fit a K&N , as Rich says. I have one in my Cab, but to be honest I dont know how much difference they make. A few people suggest drilling the airbox also, and it does sound better. Try and replace the panel filter with a K&N when the servicing requires it, otherwise I probably wouldnt bother.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline WideBoyGTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2004, 22:26 »
Nice one cheers lads.

Offline Flidster_uk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2004, 22:07 »
Tad late on the reply, you can get an induction kit for a MK1, pipercross do one, its a complete replacement part that fits under the metering head and is an aluminium cradle thats full of foam has a larger surface area and you do a way with the pipes leading to it.

Performance wise there was no difference compared to the K&N filter i had fitted, apart from a raspy noise if you reached the higher revs.
bought one of ebay for ?35 they apparantly sell for double this, certainly not worth the price.
1990 CAB GTI Saphire Met. / 1994 Ice grey violet VR6 Corrado
account.<br />http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/18662/cab.jpg

Offline Joester

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2004, 13:34 »
I bought a Pipercross replacement panel filter (not the complete assembly), I think it was about ?30.

It's probably worth getting some sort of performance filter if you intend to keep the car for any period of time, as you won't have to keep shelling out for paper filters.

The PiperX one i've got consists of lots of sponge pyramids stuck to a mesh.  You just wash in soapy water whenever, then thouroughly dry them before use.
They come with a aerosol of oil to spray on after washing to improve the effectiveness of the filter.

Imagine my suprise when I came to install it for the first time to find I had been driving the car round with no filter at all !
Still, the PiperX must be pretty free-flowing as it made no difference to the sound/performance compared to no filter at all.