Author Topic: Rns nav disc  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Belfast Child

• Not said much yet
Rns nav disc
« on: 01 March 2012, 19:59 »
Hi all

Having collected my brand new ed35 today, I was surprised to see there was no nav disc in the car. I have had a mk5 Pirelli with rns510 and that had the nav disc, I called the dealer and they say that the maps are loaded via computer now and the disc's are not needed. Can anyone concur on this to put my mind at rest.
Thanks

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
Re: Rns nav disc
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2012, 20:16 »
Hi all

Having collected my brand new ed35 today, I was surprised to see there was no nav disc in the car. I have had a mk5 Pirelli with rns510 and that had the nav disc, I called the dealer and they say that the maps are loaded via computer now and the disc's are not needed. Can anyone concur on this to put my mind at rest.
Thanks

I have ordered the RNS510 as well for my car and asked this very same question to my dealer.

He said they no longer give the DVDs out as they are preloaded, if I have any issues which require the maps to be reloaded, I just need to book the car in and they will reload them.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2012, 20:19 by brown.jamesa »
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP (67)
Past: Mk6 GTD (12), Mk5 GT TDI 140 (54)

Offline Belfast Child

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2012, 20:20 »
Thanks for the reply

Offline golfmanj80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2012, 21:38 »
As an aside...........

Local VW dealer quoted £160 for latest disc for my 09 GTD, latest maps and 7 digit post code.

Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 3 Door, 2009, DSG, Vancouver 18", Satnav, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack,

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2012, 22:08 »
As an aside...........

Local VW dealer quoted £160 for latest disc for my 09 GTD, latest maps and 7 digit post code.

i would kindly tell him no thank you sir.... but only using two words, the first of which would get deleted from here. the second being "off"

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2012, 23:44 »
As an aside...........

I could tell you where you could get it for approximately £160 cheaper, but it's probably against the rules on here  :cool:
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2012, 23:46 »
As an aside...........

I could tell you where you could get it for approximately £160 cheaper, but it's probably against the rules on here  :cool:

I'm glad you said approximately. I was going to say the disc would cost a few pence at least!

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2012, 09:13 »
You should have had the disc in the car. I got mine in September and I don't think it's changed since...

The disc I got though was an old version (6.0 IIRC) and wouldn't work with the firmware of the RNS510 (6.1 required). It seems the car comes without a disc (but with preloaded maps 6.1) and it's the dealer who puts the actual disc into the car. VW tend to have out of date stock. I requested the latest disc be supplied but after a lot of hassle they offered to install the new sat-nav version for free when it comes out. I took the offer.

I would suggest trying that route as it saves both VW and you money. NEVER agree to pay for a disc now. You've paid for the car.
Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Offline golfmanj80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2012, 10:40 »
Yes, at £160 the disc will stay on the dealers shelf !.....and after the paramedic had removed his paddles from my chest, I left in a marked manner !  :grin:
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 3 Door, 2009, DSG, Vancouver 18", Satnav, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack,