Author Topic: Kev's GTI PP DSG with OEM mods  (Read 167694 times)

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
Kev's GTI PP DSG with OEM mods
« on: 19 August 2014, 10:03 »
I couldn't find a build thread section for Mk7's so I'm putting it in the regular mk7 section. I wont be doing any big performance mods, just subtle oem mods. I'll post part numbers so you guys can get all the nice goodies too.

Spec as follows (Note Irish Standard Spec is far lower than UK):
-Tornado Red
-3dr

Standard spec of note:
-LED tail lights and LED number plate lights
-Colour FIS clocks with needle sweep on start up
-LED front fog lights
-Electric folding mirrors with puddle lights under the mirrors
-LED lit door sills
-LED interior lights
-Electric handbrake with auto-hold. Basically you never have to worry about the handbrake again. It comes on and off by itself.

Extras:
-DSG
-Performance Pack This brings bigger brakes with rears vented. Fronts with GTI logo on callipers. 230bhp v's 220 bhp standard. And a torque vectoring e-diff. It's basically a computer controlled lsd.
-Xenon Lights with cornering function and LED day time running light
-Half leather interior with alancantara and tartan centres
-18" Wheels
-Adaptive cruise control with emergency brake A distance can be set to the car in front so in stop-start traffic the car will just follow the car in front. Emergency brake will apply brakes if it thinks a crash is imminent.
-Winter Pack Heated seats and heated windscreen washer jets.
-Discover Pro Sat Nav. 8" Touch screen. 60GB Hard Drive.
-Tinted side and rear windows
-Reverse Camera
-Keyless Access
-Climatronic climate control
-Adaptive Chassis control The dampers are adjustable at a touch of a button
-Lane assist There is a camera in the rear view mirror that reads the road markings and will steer the car straight if it veering out of the lane. It can also steer the car around bends. It's only a backup. If you take your hands off the wheel for more than 5 seconds the car will start beeping.
-Dynamic Light Assist This is the option I'm most looking forward to. The same camera as the lane assist also looks for cars at night. It then trims the high beam so not to blind on-coming traffic or cars you are following. This is a step up from high beam assist in that the high beam is not turned off. A portion of it is blocked while still fully lighting the ditch.

Here's pics of her just off the transporter. We pulled the cover off the boot to check the camera. The car arrived at the Dealers at 2pm on a Friday, and I collected it on the Saturday. So any guys getting BS stories from their dealers saying it takes days to PDI a car dont believe them!

Finally got a break in the weather to give the car a proper clean and take some pics. I got the foam boot protector and VW Luxury mats. Herself loves sitting barefoot in the car now!  :laugh:

Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
Re: Kev's GTI PP DSG with OEM mods
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2014, 10:17 »
A few weeks ago I lifted the boot floor to find this:

The usual suspects (lights/seals) were checked and came back fine. It was eventually chased to the boot hinge. VW don't put a sealant there in the factory, they just rely on the paint to seal it which is a bit crazy. The dealer did a top job finding it and fixing it. Here is the hinge with the sealant applied:

The trim under the hinge and C-pillar trim is hard plastic so there were no wet spots in the headlining.

I activated Traffic Sign Recognition with VCDS. You need the Discover Pro and lane assist camera for this, although I have seen some guys with just the camera do it, but the camera sometimes makes mistakes and shows the wrong signs. I have not been shown a wrong sign so the camera must consult the Nav's database first. Note how the compass direction gets bumped down to the outside temp level. I followed this how-to:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299493-how-to-enable-traffic-sign-recognition/

I also did a few VCDS tweaks. I followed the guides on the following websites:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.0
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7.php (view with Google Chrome to translate)
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299424-octavia-iii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/

Next I put in door warning lights. This is more tricky to do than on mk5/6 as there are no vacant pins to just plug into. The door warning light pin in the door controller feeds the illuminated door sill. There was no vacant ground pin either. I avoid damaging factory wiring if possible to I built a loom that plugs in between the door module and the factory wiring loom. I split the power and ground in my loom. This way I can remove it again and leave no damage to the factory wiring. Some pics:

Next I replaced the glove box light with the led light that is used as footwell lights in the mk7. It was a nice easy straight swap. Part number of the light is: 5G0 947 409. It was about €8 IIRC. Standard light on left, led on right:

I then fitted led footwell lights to the rear. The holes are in the seat frames. I built my own loom as the pre-made loom by-passes the plugs where the seat loom plugs into the main car loom. This means you cannot remove the seat without cutting the wires for the foot well light. There were empty positions in the plug for seat heating in my car so I used them. Again, my loom plugs in between the front footwell led and factory loom for power so no damage to factory loom.

I then fitted genuine led vanity mirror lights. They are not factory fitted to any VW's to the best of my knowledge. They come as part of a pack on the Seat Leon. They are a straight swap. Part number is: 5F0 947 109 B. Price is €13 each.To remove the existing light, stick a flat tool in from the door side of the light. (Note this light comes in different colours to suit the interior colour)

The most recent mod I have done is the Audi jacking point mod. This mod has been around since the mk4. Parts required are (Note: These are Audi parts so probably have to come from an Audi dealer. I got them from a dealer that's both Audi and VW):

8V0 825 271                       Qty:1
8V0 825 272                       Qty:1
8V0 802 845                       Qty:1
8V0 802 846                       Qty:1
8V0 802 847 A                    Qty:2
8V0 804 631 B                     Qty:2

EDIT: A note on the rear jacking pads: There is a mix up on the part numbers. There is a non-A and Rev-A version of the rear pad. They are different lengths so the non-A will not fit Golfs. I ordered 8V0 802 847 without the A at the end. My order must have been mis-picked and I got the Rev A's. The packaging said non-A but I never checked the part number on the pad itself. I did not realise this until Simon (C2K) contacted me after getting the wrong parts. The shorter part in the pics below is the correct one (Rev A). Credit to Simon for the first 3 pics below and figuring it out. I can confirm that the Rev A fits both 3 and 5 door Golfs. I have amended the list above. Apologies for the mis-information.

I also got the full PR-code list for the car. This is basically the car's DNA and lists out every feature (whether standard or optional) it has.

« Last Edit: 01 January 2017, 21:36 by kevinm »

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline GTD_777

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2014, 10:36 »
Great thread. Thanks for the part numbers! Interesting to see how little comes standard in Ireland compared to the UK.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2014, 05:41 »
Good idea on the mods I'm off down the dealers to get the jacking points and glovebox light sorted!

Any chance you could you let us know where you got the rear footwell light kit from?

Cheers!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2014, 08:49 »
Good idea on the mods I'm off down the dealers to get the jacking points and glovebox light sorted!

Any chance you could you let us know where you got the rear footwell light kit from?

Cheers!

I made the kit myself. I'll do a schematic this evening with the parts needed.

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2014, 09:02 »
Nice motor  :cool:

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2014, 11:11 »
I like the jacking point mod. I'm off to do that. :D
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2014, 11:40 »

It's a great mod if you like taking off the wheels to clean them. It saved the sills on my mk5!

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2014, 12:19 »

Cheers!

I made the kit myself. I'll do a schematic this evening with the parts needed.

That would be great thanks - although I'd have to use the non modded loom as I've got the heated seats.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2014, 13:15 »

It's a great mod if you like taking off the wheels to clean them. It saved the sills on my mk5!

That I do, plus I will be running winter wheels. Annoyingly I already had a puncture too so have had a wheel off already. Was expecting to find something like that!!

Is this everything that's needed?

8V0 825 271                       Qty:1
8V0 825 272                       Qty:1
8V0 802 845                       Qty:1
8V0 802 846                       Qty:1
8V0 802 847                       Qty:2
8V0 804 631                       Qty:2

One of them looks to be hanging down in your pic, on the right?

« Last Edit: 20 August 2014, 13:21 by C2K »
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S