Author Topic: Dan's N5T LO daily - VR6 Turbo build starting #95  (Read 153264 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Dan's N5T LO daily - VR6 Turbo build starting #95
« Reply #960 on: 17 April 2012, 13:47 »
You gonna put new rings in and leave the pistons or you going for the full shabang? i.e. rods, pistons, crank blah blah?

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #961 on: 18 April 2012, 00:28 »
You gonna put new rings in and leave the pistons or you going for the full shabang? i.e. rods, pistons, crank blah blah?

New piston rings, bearings, arp rod bolts, arp head and main studs, head spacing etc, etc.. been reading up quite a lot on it and that's what most big power VR's are running over in the US, so 400 wheel shouldn't be too much of a problem, thinking of aiming more for 500 with an AWD setup (B5 A4) :D

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #962 on: 18 April 2012, 00:39 »
Crank pulley was a pain to get off so took me and joerg the VR for a walk to garage down my street;

VR6 Walk.. by d.monday, on Flickr

they couldn't even get it off, so used the leg off my engine crane as a breaker bar and that managed to crack it..

Crank by d.monday, on Flickr

Joerg by d.monday, on Flickr

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #963 on: 18 April 2012, 01:50 »
Nice, its just like pushing a baby in a pram, dub stylee :D

Good to see progress and sounds like a good setup. Engines are supposed to be pretty strong on standard internals and ARP rod bolts, so you'll be sweet with the head bolts and main studs too. I was going to aim for 350-400 with just the ARP rod bolts and dropped compression down to 9:1. Read up people running on complete standard internals, standard compression with a reliable 300+bhp (low boost).

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #964 on: 18 April 2012, 01:58 »
Nice, its just like pushing a baby in a pram, dub stylee :D

Good to see progress and sounds like a good setup. Engines are supposed to be pretty strong on standard internals and ARP rod bolts, so you'll be sweet with the head bolts and main studs too. I was going to aim for 350-400 with just the ARP rod bolts and dropped compression down to 9:1. Read up people running on complete standard internals, standard compression with a reliable 300+bhp (low boost).

Haha proper ghetto :D got a few looks..

Yeah man there's a company in the US that's running 700bhp on just what i've listed above, arp head, mains and rod bolts / studs with a head spacer, so i think 4-500 would be a nice sensible aim :) it's a long term project and would be a shame to just stick it in something FWD so going to be a pricey one ;) need to get my self a job sorted ideally!

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #965 on: 18 April 2012, 10:13 »
Love that picture of you pulling the VR! :grin:

Sounds like you really are going all out on this one! How long till you get bored though? :grin:

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #966 on: 18 April 2012, 11:25 »
Love that picture of you pulling the VR! :grin:

Sounds like you really are going all out on this one! How long till you get bored though? :grin:

Haha, i don't need a car at the moment and when i do i can just use my dads car.. so a long term project is perfect for me :) can't really get bored because it won't be finished for a while and going to be insane when it's done ;)

Going to get the block dipped, skimmed and honed (depending on what they say about the lips on the cylinders obv) next week hopefully, then start getting stuff ordered.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #967 on: 18 April 2012, 19:41 »
Nice plan man, this way it might get done and not break :D :tongue:

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #968 on: 20 April 2012, 13:55 »
Grabbed this off Joerg yesterday, weighs about 1/4 of the original crank pulley.

Precision-power pulley VR6 by d.monday, on Flickr

Precision-power pulley VR6 by d.monday, on Flickr

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #969 on: 20 April 2012, 16:17 »
I wish I could stack up goodies like this for a future project.  :drool: :cool:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |