Author Topic: <SPOILER!> ECOTY 2016 - GTI Clubsport S  (Read 9494 times)

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
Re: <SPOILER!> ECOTY 2016 - GTI Clubsport S
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2016, 15:55 »
BMW M2 .... Finished dead Last - Wow ... Can't wait to read their critique. I found the brakes very "grabby" and impossible to modulate, plus the seating position a little too high and seats not contoured enough but a very enjoyable and very fast car to drive! Amazing to think the £15k cheaper CS-S left it for dead in the overall standings?! Must be an absolute cracker of a car to finish above such exalted company ..  :whistle:

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2016, 12:45 »
IMHO the result shows how the modern M cars are lacking pure driver's experience that they used to offer.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2016, 23:20 »
IMHO the result shows how the modern M cars are lacking pure driver's experience that they used to offer.

Yep, i guess its tough to argue against that point with the legendary M4 GTS and M2 getting low marks compared to the lowly VW ...  :undecided:

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2016, 23:34 »

Yep, i guess its tough to argue against that point with the legendary M4 GTS and M2 getting low marks compared to the lowly VW ...  :undecided:

I think they are great cars at what they do, but the M2 is very small in comparison and the M4 is getting on for twice the price. Running costs for M series cars are not small either so bang for buck takes a massive hit. In truth I don't think they are really in the same marketplace as the Golf.

Don't really understand why the M2 didn't do better though, everything I've seen on it suggests the press loves it. Perhaps that £45k price tag is just too much and a bit too close to a Cayman S or a TTRS.
Sales Manager - Inchcape Volkswagen Swindon

VW Golf GTI Clubsport S - GO15 CSS

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2016, 10:02 »

I think they are great cars at what they do, but the M2 is very small in comparison and the M4 is getting on for twice the price. Running costs for M series cars are not small either so bang for buck takes a massive hit. In truth I don't think they are really in the same marketplace as the Golf.

Don't really understand why the M2 didn't do better though, everything I've seen on it suggests the press loves it. Perhaps that £45k price tag is just too much and a bit too close to a Cayman S or a TTRS.
Maybe BMW didn't pay as much in advertisment, incentives and freebies as the VW group....
Or maybe they didn't send them a press spec car...
« Last Edit: 02 November 2016, 10:05 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2016, 10:17 »
Maybe BMW didn't pay as much in advertisment, incentives and freebies as the VW group....
Or maybe they didn't send them a press spec car...

In one.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2016, 18:23 »
Bit skeptical if you ask me. The last thing VW are doing at the moment is keeping an enthusiasts magazine happy with bribes.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline vipergts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 02 November 2016, 20:07 »

Yes, I don't understand how the motoring press can rave about the M2 with such delight and then with one foul swoop knock it down....Very strange

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 02 November 2016, 22:39 »

Yes, I don't understand how the motoring press can rave about the M2 with such delight and then with one foul swoop knock it down....Very strange

It would be unfair to say they knocked it down. It came last in a group of 12 extremely good cars. That's hardly a bad thing. As the review said, there are no bad cars that make it through to the Car of the Year test.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 02 November 2016, 23:14 »
To infer that in some way the vote is rigged is categorically wrong IMO ... The simple fact that the Golf Gti came second is proof enough to anyone that as journalists they are far from biased - think how McLaren must feel for the last two years if that is the case! EVO is in my opinion a bastion of car enthusiasts, they don't care about cost or pedigree - Last year the Gt4 beat the venerable GT3 RS - this year a humble VW has beaten Lambo & Mclaren and only the most pure 911 since the original RS has managed to pip the £34k Golf .... Lets all celebrate, good old fashion journalism  :shocked: