Author Topic: 'R' sub section or not? What do you think?  (Read 9326 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
'R' sub section or not? What do you think?
« on: 03 July 2015, 07:13 »
I know this point has come up before, but just a quick question to Mk7 R owners (and anyone else for that matter) -

As there are a few more people on here with R's, do you think there is any value in having a separate sub section within the Mk7 section to post R related tech stuff?  Or do people prefer to keep it as it is, in the main body of the section.

I have no particular feelings either way and like it as it is, but it might make it easier to find some R specific information, particularly as there seems to be more of this coming through now.

Thoughts?

(and, before someone points it out, I know I don't actually have an R myself yet)
« Last Edit: 03 July 2015, 08:15 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: 'R' sub section or not? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2015, 07:16 »
I haven't got an r but I like things the way they even with a separate gtd section  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2015, 07:41 »
There might be some stuff specific to the R but there is an awful lot of stuff that applies to not only the R but the GTI (and GTD) too.

It might then mean that R (and GTI) owners miss stuff that might be helpful to them (although I realise that anyone can access the whole Mk7 section).

Reminds me of when I had an Astra VXR and was on a all model Astra forum - the amount of useful stuff I missed as I ended up in the VXR section all the time was huge.

Non starter for me I'm afraid (admittedly as a non R owner).
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2015, 07:46 »
I would keep the Status Quo. It will only create divisions between them and us which we don't need. I for one enjoy reading what the R owners have to say.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2015, 07:53 »
There might be some stuff specific to the R but there is an awful lot of stuff that applies to not only the R but the GTI (and GTD) too.

It might then mean that R (and GTI) owners miss stuff that might be helpful to them (although I realise that anyone can access the whole Mk7 section).

Reminds me of when I had an Astra VXR and was on a all model Astra forum - the amount of useful stuff I missed as I ended up in the VXR section all the time was huge.

Non starter for me I'm afraid (admittedly as a non R owner).

Yeah, that's a good point and very true, there is a lot of stuff that's generic to all Mk7 models.  I suppose even it it was just for R specific technical topics, the threads would undoubtedly veer off into areas relating to any model. I suspect that even if there was a sub section, most stuff would get posted in the main board anyway.

I only asked as I think Jimble raised it at some point and I don't think there was ever a definitive answer, which in itself is probably the answer to the question  :laugh:

I like the 'sense of community' of things being all together. 
« Last Edit: 03 July 2015, 07:57 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2015, 07:57 »
I don't think there are enough members to split us up, plus if some of us get stage 3 we will literally be so confused as to where to go it will be unreal :shocked:

Plus as Gnasher says, most subjects are interchangeable, admittedly if the R was massively different in suspension and engine block then fair enough, but what they post about springs I might wanna know, ya know :smiley:
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2015, 08:04 »
Fair points everyone  :smiley: 

Certainly not about 'splitting up', or creating 'them and us', that would be the last thing you want.  We want harmony (with the occasional bit of discord  :wink::laugh:

Plus keeping it as it is makes it easier for anyone interested in crossing over to an R to access information.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2015, 08:13 »
I for one enjoy reading what the R owners have to say.

Me too, and I haven't even got a 7 of any description.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2015, 08:42 »
...I haven't even got a 7 of any description.

Yes Simon, it's time you got rid of that three pedalled Mk6 dinosaur.... :tongue:  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2015, 09:18 »
Tbh i'm not a huge fan of having a TDI section, it's something that has been done since the mk4, i think due to the amount of R owners on here now the danger would be that the main section would be completely dead! :D
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂