Author Topic: "Front assist" emergency braking  (Read 17876 times)

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
Re: "Front assist" emergency braking
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2014, 22:35 »
Brilliant system, the main reason your insurance is so much lower.

Switch it off? Why?
« Last Edit: 08 February 2014, 22:59 by Jimble »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 08 February 2014, 22:56 »
Brilliant system, the main reason your insurance is so much lower.

Switch it off? Why?

1 glad you're so pleased with it

2 for all the comments in the previous posts

« Last Edit: 08 February 2014, 23:07 by Ap69 »
Golf Gti 3dr Night Blue Manual

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 08 February 2014, 23:01 »
Edited due to comments made.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline GiT1984

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2014, 23:04 »
Spoke to a friend who is a life long traffic copper. (I use the term 'friend' loosely! Haha).

He has stated that if you were to turn it off and had an accident as a result you would likely be prosecuted. He apparently knows of cases of this.  I imagine it will depend on a case by case situation. If you have a knock at low speeds and it has been turned off for the reasons above (activating when cars turn left and such) you'll be ok, but if you plow into the back of someone tailgating on the motorway and it is off they'll have an issue.

He has also stated that it is recorded on the cars computer the times it is off and on.

To be honest, it sounds more like it would be used as evidence to assist with a conviction rather than a conviction in itself.

Only time will tell I suppose.

I also know a couple of traffic cops and whilst they would never want to admit it to you; they might privately acknowledge that their solid, hands on understanding of the law, is not to the depth of a qualified lawyer or a judge.

They rarely have the legal nuances to advise on a point of legal technicality such as this and until it's tried and tested in the courts or precedent is set, I would take it with a pinch of salt ....

I'm not aware of anyone turning their traction control or stability control off and being prosecuted for doing so - are you?
2014 Mk7 GTi - CSG, PP, Leather, DSG, ACC, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera, Rear Airbags, Winter pack.

2013 Porsche Boxster S

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 08 February 2014, 23:32 »
The system can be turned off easily via a push of a button and so it is not obligatory to have it on.

If you had an accident with it turned off then it would be treated as any other accident would be. I highly doubt they will prosecute you for turning off a safety aid.

You can turn off the passenger airbag and if you do and have an accident I don't think you would be prosecuted for injury to the passenger. Again it would just go through insurance procedures as normal.

Now if you were speeding and had an accident then it would be another kettle of fish as you're then breaking the law. You're not breaking the law by having an optional safety feature turned off though.

Can't see that standing up in court.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2014, 23:34 by Mr Savage »
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline gamcqui

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 09 February 2014, 09:40 »
I thought front assist only actually braked the car between speeds of 3 and 19mph?

I've only ever had it come on, beep and show the rather alarming red chevron graphic in the MFD, but never actually brake for me!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 09 February 2014, 10:01 »
Exactly as Mr Savage has said re the front assist. There are things you would get into trouble switching off, like using VCDS to switch off your DRLs because they are obligatory on all cars made after some date in 2012.

Front assist fitment and usage is not obligatory by law (it would be fitted on all new cars if it were), and unless your insurance has a specific clause in it that says you must have all safety related devices switched on at all times then they will not be able to void your insurance if you go into the back of someone with it switched off.

Even with front assist on, there is always the possibility of hitting the car in front, if that car has a more sensitive front assist system than yours and better brakes, or your sensor is dirty.

I'm not entirely convinced that the GTI dropping 5 insurance groups is entirely down to the inclusion of front assist. The MK7 GTI only gained 10PS over the MK6 and dropped 5 groups, the MK7 GTD gained 14PS over the MK6 and yet it is the same insurance group. Perhaps the MK6 was overly high on it's grouping vs risk. 220PS isn't exactly remarkable in the hot hatch stakes any more - it is the GTI's handling that makes it punch above it's weight. There are plenty of non-sporty executive cars with as much power that are grouped as low. You've also got to remember the average Golf driver isn't some 18 year old boy racer either, so I wouldn't group it as harshly as a VXR or ST3 based on perceptions of the average driver for each of those cars.

As per the turning the passenger airbag off and a passenger sustaining more injury as a result of it not being on, you'd lead yourself wide open for a civil suit, but almost certainly not a criminal prosecution.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 09 February 2014, 10:08 »
I thought front assist only actually braked the car between speeds of 3 and 19mph?

I've only ever had it come on, beep and show the rather alarming red chevron graphic in the MFD, but never actually brake for me!

There are 2 systems - the ACC system at normal driving speeds, and city assist, up to 19mph. The ACC system can warn you or give you a bang on the brakes if you don't respond when the required rate of deceleration to maintain a safe gap exceeds 30% of the vehicle's maximum stopping power. It won't properly brake for you because it could stall the car if it brakes to the point that the car's speed in whatever gear you are in falls below idling speed. City assist can bring the car to a stop, even if it stalls the car.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 09 February 2014, 10:17 »
Exactly as Mr Savage has said re the front assist. There are things you would get into trouble switching off, like using VCDS to switch off your DRLs because they are obligatory on all cars made after some date in 2012.
Just to be clear - that is only relevent to cars type approved after February 2011. This includes the Golf Mk.7 but not the Golf Mk.6 or current Scirocco.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 09 February 2014, 11:08 »

This is my experience as well. I've never felt the car brake for me although the red flashy symbol has appeared a few times