Author Topic: "Front assist" emergency braking  (Read 17890 times)

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
"Front assist" emergency braking
« on: 07 February 2014, 09:10 »
Hi guys just wondering what your experiences have been with it.

It applied itself a few times for me, but on each occasion i wasn't about to rear end a car, twice yesterday a car a short distance ahead indicated and slowed as it turned left. If you can image my left wing was lined up to compley miss the turning cars rear anyway but i eased a little to the right so as he turned to 90 degrees to me as I passed him I would say there was at least 10ft between us. BANG buzzer front wheels locked momentarily and my collar bone took a wack off the seatbelt and I tried to kiss the steering wheel!

Thinking of deactivating it but it's there for a reason and might save a bump, (or let someone run in the back of me!) just seems a bit too sensitive.

Thanks
Golf Gti 3dr Night Blue Manual

Offline mullermn

• GTI forum regular
Re: "Front assist" emergency braking
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2014, 09:40 »
I think I've only felt it activate once - came off a motorway on a slip road and the car in front stopped while I was momentarily hunting for a button on the console. I'd have got there and braked manually in time anyway, but I can't criticise the system for firing off and if I'd been a bit slower it could have saved a bang.

I have had the other levels of warnings fire off quite a bit though. I think the thresholds for those are quite clever - seem to depend on the speed of the car, the closing speed of the car in front and maybe even the weather conditions? Overall I'm quite impressed with it.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2014, 10:04 »
I had Font Assist fully deployed on me only yesterday. I was approaching a roundabout from a dual carriageway and a big truck was slightly over the white line and in my lane waiting to pull away from the junction. Front assist did not like this and fully activated itself. Quite alarming! Very, very glad I didn't have someone behind me as I feel sure they would have rear ended me.

So, you've got to ask yourself whether this is helpful or not. There was enough room for me to squeeze past the stationary truck but Front Assist thought otherwise. I was a bit embarrassed to be honest as it looked like I had massively over reacted.

Where the system will save you is in potential rear-end situations, as others have described. I'm still trying to decide whether or not Front Assist is up to scratch, and can handle grey area situations like the one I've described.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline monkeytennis

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2014, 12:07 »
I've had the warning message and audible beep warning several times but fortunately in 4k so far I've not had braking cut in. The noise was enough to startle my passengers and wonder what the hell was going on.

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2014, 13:22 »
I have to say the system has saved me a few times so far. The most recent was Tuesday during a motor way cruise after all the cars in-front suddenly braked @ 70mph :sad:.  On the down side I was driving around a roundabout a few weeks back in the inside lane of 3. The roundabout in question was quite tight and the sensor picked up the car in the next lane and slammed on the brakes. Very unnerving. I'm glad the car behind braked in time :sad:

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2014, 17:02 »
I've had mine trigger a few times. Usually at low speed when i'm comfortable i can get through a gap, system thinks otherwise and makes me look like a prat!

It tends to be quite trigger happy when over taking bicycles, most frustrating. However i do see it's benefits and think it will prevent many people having accidents.

J

2013 GTI (GONE) - 2014 GTI Performance Pack - Manual, Discover Nav, 5 door, Park Assist

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2014, 19:37 »
Front Assist. I must admit it's a bit of a gimmick. Yes technically it will help save you from a rear shunt however everytime mine has kicked in (3-4 times) it's been unnecessary.

I've noticed it always kicks in when a car is turning left and you cruise along knowing the car will be out the way by time you reach it but the front assist thinks you're about to ram the car off the road & swiftly slams the brakes on.

It's a new system so will hopefully improve over time. It is a good system though. But again it will save you from potential dangers the same way that walking around in a bio suit every day will protect you against any possible biological attacks. It will often make you look silly and rarely do what it's intended for.

Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2014, 21:28 »
Front Assist. I must admit it's a bit of a gimmick. Yes technically it will help save you from a rear shunt however everytime mine has kicked in (3-4 times) it's been unnecessary.

I've noticed it always kicks in when a car is turning left and you cruise along knowing the car will be out the way by time you reach it but the front assist thinks you're about to ram the car off the road & swiftly slams the brakes on.

It's a new system so will hopefully improve over time. It is a good system though. But again it will save you from potential dangers the same way that walking around in a bio suit every day will protect you against any possible biological attacks. It will often make you look silly and rarely do what it's intended for.

Yep, it is trigger happy with vehicles turning left...though I had a warning today saying that it and the ACC couldn't operate, but I think that it is caused by dirt on the radar.
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2014, 21:59 »

Super assessment there, it's precisely as i see/experience it.

Yet again tonight car in a de-acceleration lane to my left, no where near it a caboom, alarm and brakes those behind must have wondered what's on earth the erratic driver in front was upto!

Although it might save me from hitting a car ahead accepted, (once in 28 years) it's caused me too many issues so it's now disconnected.
Golf Gti 3dr Night Blue Manual

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2014, 10:55 »
Although it might save me from hitting a car ahead accepted, (once in 28 years) it's caused me too many issues so it's now disconnected.

Just be careful as it will have serious insurance implications if you do have a smash and its noted to be turned off.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14