Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 538660 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1870 on: 17 September 2018, 15:10 »
@Watts; I always think that Poorboys Natural Look Dressing smells a bit like marzipan.

Gave mine a much needed going over last Friday and Saturday. It’d been almost 4 weeks since it had seen a lambs wool mitt and fluffy drying towel, so was in need of some TLC.

Washed and dried it on Friday, then tucked it away in the garage. On Saturday, it was treated to a coat of Fusso Coat Dark 12 Months Wax, windows cleaned with Autoglym Fast Glass, plastics and tyres dressed with Finishkare Top Kote. Interior vacuumed, and plastics dressed with Poorboys Natural Look Dressing.

The only thing that lets it down is the wheel balance weights which are clearly visible through the wheel spokes - Blackcircles must use inferior quality steel balance weights as they’ve started rusting.  My OCD tells me I must give them a once over with a coat of Hammerite :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1871 on: 17 September 2018, 17:18 »
@Watts; I always think that Poorboys Natural Look Dressing smells a bit like marzipan.

Gave mine a much needed going over last Friday and Saturday. It’d been almost 4 weeks since it had seen a lambs wool mitt and fluffy drying towel, so was in need of some TLC.

Washed and dried it on Friday, then tucked it away in the garage. On Saturday, it was treated to a coat of Fusso Coat Dark 12 Months Wax, windows cleaned with Autoglym Fast Glass, plastics and tyres dressed with Finishkare Top Kote. Interior vacuumed, and plastics dressed with Poorboys Natural Look Dressing.

The only thing that lets it down is the wheel balance weights which are clearly visible through the wheel spokes - Blackcircles must use inferior quality steel balance weights as they’ve started rusting.  My OCD tells me I must give them a once over with a coat of Hammerite :smiley:.

I bought a batch of black weights as my local garage only did silver and they too are rusting :sad: I reckon they were just poor quality, I should've gone for silver and hammerite.

Sounds like your pocket rocket is looking good then SR! Mine hasn't been washed now for two months.......
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1872 on: 17 September 2018, 17:49 »

I bought a batch of black weights as my local garage only did silver and they too are rusting :sad: I reckon they were just poor quality, I should've gone for silver and hammerite.

Sounds like your pocket rocket is looking good then SR! Mine hasn't been washed now for two months.......

Yes, it back to looking how I like it; I went to the local branch of Toolstation today and the guy on the desk saw it and commented on how it looked, so I must’ve done a half decent job.

I’m sure yours will be looking good after you’ve sorted it tomorrow :cool:. Enjoy!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1873 on: 18 September 2018, 08:36 »
How come you dressed the tyres before washing it?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1874 on: 18 September 2018, 09:07 »
How come you dressed the tyres before washing it?

I washed the wheels yesterday, the rest of the car today although it's very windy this morning and under normal conditions I get snowfoam everywhere......
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1875 on: 18 September 2018, 09:21 »
I don't like cleaning the whole car in one day so today the interior got a good going over, used some Poorboys Natural Look Dressing on all the plastics, came up well particularly since it wasn't actually that dirty. Pooboys has a bit of an odd smell but I quite like it, reminds me that things are clean :smiley: Dr Leather sorted my steering wheel and gear lever gaitor. Then to give me a headstart on the outside, the minging wheels were jet washed, soaked in Valet Pro Bilberry, jetwashed and washed with Gtechniq G Wash shampoo, now that stuff does smell nice. Dried off with a Wo-Wo wheel towel then a spray of FinishKare Ultra Slick Polywipe qd, I really like this qd, does a great job and you get about double the quantity for around the same price as others I've tried, bargain :smiley: Then the tyres were dressed, currently using a spray I bought from either Tesco or Halfords and it does a very good job and lasts well. Easy and clean to apply too.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the muck mountain on the bodywork, I'm pretty sure the thick layer sitting atop the rear bumber could sustain a crop of King Edwards.....

Something else puzzled me today, I had a quick review of kerbing marks on my Santiagos. I'd have thought a minimum of two or three wheels would be affected but amazingly only one (though it had met more than one kerb at my hands). Plenty of small chips here and there but overall in much better condition than I expected after over three years of daily use. Which was nice :wink:

Bit of an odd way to wash the car if you don't mind me saying Watts!

Wheels are always the last job - work from the top down. But I guess what ever works for you. I couldn't just half a job. And in a full day I could wash, decontaminating, machine polish and seal the whole car!   :wink:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1876 on: 18 September 2018, 09:30 »
Managed a quick wash last night before it went completely dark. Been a good 3 weeks or so.

Citrus prewash
Rinse
Snowfoam
Rinse
Handwash
Dry/blowdry

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1877 on: 18 September 2018, 09:36 »

Wheels are always the last job - work from the top down. But I guess what ever works for you. I couldn't just half a job. And in a full day I could wash, decontaminating, machine polish and seal the whole car!   :wink:

I don't mind, it probably is! I need to pace myself a bit with effort. The reasoning behind the wheels first is yes, they are the dirtiest so in splitting the job they are clean when I come to do the bodywork, no risk of getting muck off them on to the body! Also, I needed to do the interior too so it seemed better to spend my time getting that and the wheels done yesterday. I can do the whole exterior done in a day, just not with the interior. If the above description of your work output is a veiled offer to come and sort mine for me, you're on! :whistle: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1878 on: 18 September 2018, 09:41 »

I don't mind, it probably is! I need to pace myself a bit with effort. The reasoning behind the wheels first is yes, they are the dirtiest so in splitting the job they are clean when I come to do the bodywork, no risk of getting muck off them on to the body! Also, I needed to do the interior too so it seemed better to spend my time getting that and the wheels done yesterday. I can do the whole exterior done in a day, just not with the interior. If the above description of your work output is a veiled offer to come and sort mine for me, you're on! :whistle: :laugh:

Haha I'm sure I could - for the right amount of money!!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1879 on: 18 September 2018, 09:52 »
Looking as smart as ever there Jim :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.