Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529468 times)

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1830 on: 15 July 2018, 14:41 »
Decided on an early start yesterday due to the weather forecast bein hot as t turned out to be so 06.30 onwards did both cars full snow and 2 bucket wash dried them off and got some more wax on then.
Grabbed my phone for a cpl of pics before going out on the yellow peril  :whistle: :whistle:

2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1831 on: 15 July 2018, 14:47 »
Great effort and dedication there Neil! Nice collection you have going on there :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #1832 on: 15 July 2018, 16:01 »
Thanks Peter it does put a smile on my face when there both clean and looking respectable  :whistle: :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1833 on: 16 July 2018, 08:33 »
I'm hanging my head in shame and admitting to going to a hand car wash.

Seeing as I'm still crippled, something had to be done as the Amarok was looking grim. This was not done without much consideration and staking out from a distance. I had heard good reviews from  the place, but then most peoples opinions on what makes a good car wash are quite different to people here. Anyway, my observations of their mitt and drying towel cleaning and rotational system showed attention to detail that most of these places ignore.

Into the queue I went with a slight churn in my stomach. I needn't have worried tho', despite swarming round like wasps, the lads worked like a well oiled machine, quickly, but very carefully. The even used a step ladder to reach the roof, rather than standing on the wheels like most would do. Drying was done by patting, then some sort of qd and light buff with brand new out of the packet fluffy mf towel, whilst the tyres were dressed.

Seeing as the truck was not in the best shape to begin with, because of it's size and where it has to go it has the odd brush with the foliage, it was worth the risk. I parked it in the sun in Starbucks carpark and yes, there were swirls, but I'd say few if any were inflicted during the wash. I did crack out the Black Hole when I got home as a quick temporary fix, and will keep doing so until I have the time for a proper detail, but all in all, The DPB truck looks OK again.

Now I am in no way considering this as an alternative to washing at home, but when needs must on the odd occasion, there are some good guys out there. Dobbies car park in Shrewsbury just so you know.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1834 on: 16 July 2018, 09:15 »
It’s good to know that there are a few good hand wash outfits out there dubber36, and as you say, when needs must.......

My brother never washes his car himself but always uses his local hand wash place. Judging by the swirl fest on his car, I’d say they’re not one of the better ones! :smiley:

He asked me if I’d machine polish his car so (in his words) it’d look as shiny as mine does. I politely declined, knowing that 2-3 days effort would be wiped out in about 15 minutes when he next visited the local hand washers!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #1835 on: 21 July 2018, 15:48 »
Did the standard wash of snow foam + 2BM but this time I used my new AutoFinesse Lambs wool wash mitt. Wow! I'm far from experienced in detailing and only had microfiber wash mitts before (last one was Meguiar's) so maybe I would say the same for any lambs wool mitt but this thing made the whole washing process better and more enjoyable. Very nice, rich feel, retained the shampoo very well and it definitely created more foam when using (did a direct comparison by using the Meguiar's one in the same bucket now degraded to rims cleaning). It's so good I am only going to use it on the mid-upper section of the car and use a cheaper MF one (Kent's for example) for the lower panels which are usually dirtier. Definitely recommended.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1836 on: 21 July 2018, 16:04 »
Did the standard wash of snow foam + 2BM but this time I used my new AutoFinesse Lambs wool wash mitt. Wow! I'm far from experienced in detailing and only had microfiber wash mitts before (last one was Meguiar's) so maybe I would say the same for any lambs wool mitt but this thing made the whole washing process better and more enjoyable. Very nice, rich feel, retained the shampoo very well and it definitely created more foam when using (did a direct comparison by using the Meguiar's one in the same bucket now degraded to rims cleaning). It's so good I am only going to use it on the mid-upper section of the car and use a cheaper MF one (Kent's for example) for the lower panels which are usually dirtier. Definitely recommended.

Don’t use a cheaper MF one on lower panels.  But a second lambswool mitt.  The dirtier lower panels are exactly where you need a lambswool mitt to take away the most debris and hold it deep within the wool fibres, well away from the paintwork. If you want a good mitt anywhere, it’s the dirtiest panels.  Best way is a lambswool mitt for upper panels and another for lower panels. But after getting the worst off with your touchless snowfoam pre wash stage.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #1837 on: 21 July 2018, 19:37 »

Don’t use a cheaper MF one on lower panels.  But a second lambswool mitt.  The dirtier lower panels are exactly where you need a lambswool mitt to take away the most debris and hold it deep within the wool fibres, well away from the paintwork. If you want a good mitt anywhere, it’s the dirtiest panels.  Best way is a lambswool mitt for upper panels and another for lower panels. But after getting the worst off with your touchless snowfoam pre wash stage.

Makes sense I guess. I was thinking more like "how to soil the mitt as less as possible and prevent stuff from sticking deep inside the fibres". Of-course two will do the trick!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1838 on: 21 July 2018, 21:59 »

Makes sense I guess. I was thinking more like "how to soil the mitt as less as possible and prevent stuff from sticking deep inside the fibres". Of-course two will do the trick!

The very purpose of the lambswool mitt is to deal with soiling adequately whilst protecting the paintwork, that’s what they are for and why lambswool is one of the very best materials for car washing. 

This is where your touchless pre wash snow foam is important to remove as much loose dirt as possible before moving onto the mitt wash. 

This is also where a good mitt rinse technique comes in, pref with use of grit guards in rinse bucket, which many seem to think serve only to stop grit circulating around the bucket, but when rinsing your lambswool mitt, by running the mitt back and forth across the guard, it helps greatly to release the dirt held within the fibres, thus ridding the mitt of trapped debris and so freshly rinsed ready for use again in the shampoo bucket for the next panels.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 22:04 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1839 on: 22 July 2018, 11:30 »
Wash day!

« Last Edit: 22 July 2018, 11:39 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual