Author Topic: Fuel Filler Door  (Read 4617 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Fuel Filler Door
« on: 25 January 2020, 01:13 »
Hey All

Has anyone experienced an issue with the fuel filler door on their MKVII?

The panel gap around the door on my CSS looks like it is out of alignment and it's catching on the bottom right corner. I have to lift it up to ensure it doesn't catch the bodywork when closing.

Apologies for the terrible picture, I filled up on the way home and grabbed a snap as I was coming inside. Compared to the TCR which I would expect to have the same body shell, that's perfectly even around the cap door. It's never been caught, left open nor has the car ever been in an accident to have caused the damage. I also close it gently and don't concentrate pressure on a point to close it.

I recall there being some sort of issue but have searched and can't find the terms or posts.

Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
Re: Fuel Filler Door
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2020, 05:52 »
There is a known issue with the flap sticking shut and an official fix for this from the dealer but I don't recall that being related to alignment or fit of the flap and think that it involved shaving off a few mm of plastic to correct the fit of the latching mechanism. http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279731.0 page 2 has some info.
TCR 3 door

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2020, 07:32 »
There is a known issue with the flap sticking shut and an official fix for this from the dealer but I don't recall that being related to alignment or fit of the flap and think that it involved shaving off a few mm of plastic to correct the fit of the latching mechanism. http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279731.0 page 2 has some info.

Thanks Philip, that's the issue I'd recalled deep in my subconscious. A superficial look at it last night in less than ideal light suggests the seat of the hinge has moved to cause this. I've emailed my dealer and the service manager should come back to me.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2020, 07:51 »
Mines not catching but certainly looks like yours does and not properly aligned. I’ve been meaning to take a look but it does open/close ok at the mo so haven’t rushed to do anything about it. Probably should tbh before it gets stuck or something. Will be interested in the resolution for this.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2020, 22:04 »
Mines not catching but certainly looks like yours does and not properly aligned. I’ve been meaning to take a look but it does open/close ok at the mo so haven’t rushed to do anything about it. Probably should tbh before it gets stuck or something. Will be interested in the resolution for this.

Will post resolution and some better photographs. I don't want to start shaving the hinge otherwise the dealer will turn round and say I fiddled so I'll let them diagnose and document first.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2020, 07:56 »
Will post resolution and some better photographs. I don't want to start shaving the hinge otherwise the dealer will turn round and say I fiddled so I'll let them diagnose and document first.

Very true. Doesn't take much for the dealers to try and squirm out of doing anything.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2020, 12:50 »

Very true. Doesn't take much for the dealers to try and squirm out of doing anything.

Resolution is to replace the internal assembly. The hinge mechanism appears to have given up and there are no visible signs of stress to have caused a failure. It's a fairly flimsy cover as you can see from the video but a 10-15 min job to do.

VW tech suggested it could be tweaked but recommended putting a warranty claim in and getting a brand new part. I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN3H43QGZ2k

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2020, 13:11 »
The fuel filler door  on both my gti pp and golf has appeared to be visually misaligned slightly and both have also ceased shut on occasions.  The solution to make fuel filler door open again was to thoroughly clean the hinge and catch then apply Lubricant or wd40 to both the cath and hinge

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2020, 13:34 »
The fuel filler door  on both my gti pp and golf has appeared to be visually misaligned slightly and both have also ceased shut on occasions.  The solution to make fuel filler door open again was to thoroughly clean the hinge and catch then apply Lubricant or wd40 to both the cath and hinge

I added lubricant as the hinge was completely clean, improved opening noise (there was a slight creak) but not alignment.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2020, 13:49 »
Resolution is to replace the internal assembly. The hinge mechanism appears to have given up and there are no visible signs of stress to have caused a failure. It's a fairly flimsy cover as you can see from the video but a 10-15 min job to do.

VW tech suggested it could be tweaked but recommended putting a warranty claim in and getting a brand new part. I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN3H43QGZ2k

Cool on the update. Guess if you have warranty then definitely worth just getting them to do it. Cheers for the link too as that quite useful.