Author Topic: Confused between LED dynamic light assist and dynamic curve  (Read 9778 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Confused between LED dynamic light assist and dynamic curve
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2020, 14:54 »
Dynamic lighting (high beam masking)

On the Mk7 with Xenons the headlights had mechanical shutters that move to do the masking.

On the Mk7.5 the LED lights do it in software.

Both use a camera to spot the oncoming traffic. Its a different camera to Mk7's high beam assist, which was cruder and just dips the main beam if it sees something coming. High beam assist was like £150 to buy and dynamic lighting more like £1000+ if you had to spec it (late Mk7.5's had it as a freebie)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2020, 15:40 »
Thanks for all the replies, very useful....... more so than trying to speak to VW dealers.

Does anyone know if the words on the dashboard 'Switch on dipped headlight beam' only appear on cars fitted with Dynamic Light Assist?

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2020, 15:47 »
Thanks for all the replies, very useful....... more so than trying to speak to VW dealers.

Does anyone know if the words on the dashboard 'Switch on dipped headlight beam' only appear on cars fitted with Dynamic Light Assist?

Don’t think so. Prettysure that happens on all cars with auto lights when the switch isn’t on auto and it’s dark.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2020, 16:54 »
No that warning just means it's dark and auto lights isn't on.

I've never had dynamic lights but did have high beam assist. With hba you had to pull the stalk to activate it each time you get in the car, then you get a green lowbeam headlight symbol on the dash with an A next to it. I think dynamic lighting is the same, it's not automatically engaged.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 25 January 2020, 17:17 »
No that warning just means it's dark and auto lights isn't on.

I've never had dynamic lights but did have high beam assist. With hba you had to pull the stalk to activate it each time you get in the car, then you get a green lowbeam headlight symbol on the dash with an A next to it. I think dynamic lighting is the same, it's not automatically engaged.

Correct Fred. When you start you just have the light switch indication that the headlights are on. One push on the stalk produces a white headlight symbol, in the dash, with an A within it, showing that the headlights are dipped auto. Another push removes the A and turns the symbol blue, showing that the headlights are high beam manual. A pull on the stalk removes the symbol.
While the headlights are in auto, the system uses the road sign recognition etc. to decide whether it uses high beam or dipped. The masking system seems to operate with both high beam and dipped. Only problem I’ve had is that sometimes I would like high beam, when it thinks dipped, so I have to go manual. First world problem, or what!
Roger.

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2020, 18:47 »
Not posted a picture before, but this is the message I'm referring to

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 25 January 2020, 18:51 »
Not posted a picture before, but this is the message I'm referring to

As someone else already posted, you only get this message if you don't have lights set to auto and the car thinks the lights should be on.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 25 January 2020, 18:59 »
Thanks Jim, I don't get a similar message on my Mk7 with a conventional dash so wasn't sure.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2020, 19:25 »
Thanks Jim, I don't get a similar message on my Mk7 with a conventional dash so wasn't sure.

I must admit I was wondering about this. Now thinking that, maybe, the analogue dash instrument lights went dim when it thought the headlights should be on, without that message?
Roger.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 26 January 2020, 19:45 »

Not sure on the old Mk7 but definitely on the 7.5 that's what it says when it thinks you should have the lights on.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey