Author Topic: New windscreen now mirror vibrates excessively  (Read 1609 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
New windscreen now mirror vibrates excessively
« on: 20 January 2020, 10:06 »
Hi folks.
I had my windscreen replaced yesterday and to be fair to the fitter he appears to have carried out an excellent job however I went out in the car today and the image in the rear view mirror really vibrates to the point if there is a car behind and I'm looking at it it makes me feel dizzy!!

The mirror doesn't physically move when trying to shake it.

Anyone know if it can be tightened?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: New windscreen now mirror vibrates excessively
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2020, 10:59 »
Part of the mirror knuckle is bonded to the screen, the rest is secured by a powerful spring clip and the knuckle joint it pivots on doesn't really have any rattle room either. The cowling for the knuckle joint could rattle if it's not been clipped back properly, can't see how the mirror itself would vibrate unless the whole screen is vibrating.

Try turning your soundaktor off and see if that stops it. Soundaktor may have been refitted incorrectly.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2020, 11:48 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2020, 12:38 »
Ring the screen company and tell them, the Soundaktor is not removed when fitting a new screen so they have done something wrong.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2020, 13:35 »
This is giving me shivers down my spine now. Cracked the screen on the wife’s 6 month old E class wagon last night with a flying stone from a passing truck. Rang Autoglass this morning and they acted all surprised and confused when I asked them can they calibrate all the cameras etc in the screen after refitting the new windscreen. When I rang Mercedes they quoted over €1000 for oem glass and calibration ( and they couldn’t even fit the glass for that) glad I drive a simple golf !!
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2020, 13:53 »
This is giving me shivers down my spine now. Cracked the screen on the wife’s 6 month old E class wagon last night with a flying stone from a passing truck. Rang Autoglass this morning and they acted all surprised and confused when I asked them can they calibrate all the cameras etc in the screen after refitting the new windscreen. When I rang Mercedes they quoted over €1000 for oem glass and calibration ( and they couldn’t even fit the glass for that) glad I drive a simple golf !!

What because for an OEM golf screen and calibration it'll only be £990??? :laugh:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2020, 16:22 »
I think autoglass charge £360 for recal in a golf 7.5, although me and a couple of customers of mine have been told that they will fit the glass by the side of the road only to have the “wrong glass”, but all been needed to go to the local autoglass Center,

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2020, 10:09 »
Part of the mirror knuckle is bonded to the screen, the rest is secured by a powerful spring clip and the knuckle joint it pivots on doesn't really have any rattle room either. The cowling for the knuckle joint could rattle if it's not been clipped back properly, can't see how the mirror itself would vibrate unless the whole screen is vibrating.

Try turning your soundaktor off and see if that stops it. Soundaktor may have been refitted incorrectly.

Thanks MH. I'll give it a go.
My first thought was that the glass isn't as substantial as the original glass so is more prone to vibrations.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2020, 13:44 »

What because for an OEM golf screen and calibration it'll only be £990??? :laugh:

Well my Gti windscreen got replaced for 400 euro all covered by insurance, but then again my Gti has no radar or any of that other stuff that requires recalibration. and that was for a branded VW screen
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Blaumann

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2020, 19:08 »
I think autoglass charge £360 for recal in a golf 7.5, although me and a couple of customers of mine have been told that they will fit the glass by the side of the road only to have the “wrong glass”, but all been needed to go to the local autoglass Center,

That's odd. I had a heated front screen on my old Octavia VRS replaced by autoglass at their centre near Derby and the camera recalibration was FOC, I merely paid the insurance excess of £75. My next insurance reminder stared the company screen excess was to be £125. If you have the screen done at the workplace, obviously you have to take it to the dealers for recal.