Author Topic: New MK7 GTi Owner - Unresponsive touch screen, faulty ambient light etc  (Read 3790 times)

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
So the radio is really pissing me off now. Half the time I get in when the cars been parked for a while the radio touch screen just freezes up and does't work. I try to change the radio station or press any button on the screen and nothing works for about 5 minutes. Plus it still does the thing where it often starts opening menus and pressing random buttons on it's own It's driving me crazy  :sad:

Sounds like you need a new screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Those sort of touch screen problems were common early on.

Yours is a 2013... so...

The issue I believe was resolved with a software update.

Might be worth looking at that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time

Don't say that!!!!  :cry:

I'm really hoping an update would help/fix it, would be one big issue to tick off the list. Do you know if there's any way of finding out what software version I am running?. Maybe it says somewhere in the settings menu?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Most others who had your issue required new screens or the brain bit that's in the glovebox. You can find what software and hardware version you have in the settings screens.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet

I'm really hoping an update would help/fix it, would be one big issue to tick off the list. Do you know if there's any way of finding out what software version I am running?. Maybe it says somewhere in the settings menu?

Lordie, did you manage to get the issue sorted?
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
That's what sort of worries me about the new MK8, there's no buttons so everything is done by touch. What happens if the screen fails on these too ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
That's what sort of worries me about the new MK8, there's no buttons so everything is done by touch. What happens if the screen fails on these too ?

I was thinking earlier about the Mk8 being totally buttonless and I've figured out why they've gone that route..... its because every time you stop in a 7.5 you have to wipe down the shiny piano black to remove finger prints and dust and every bloody time I either turn the stereo up flat out or zoom right out on the sat nav..... no buttons, no problem!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time

Lordie, did you manage to get the issue sorted?

Hello . No I haven't just yet. I'm going to have a look in the menus tonight and see if I can find the current software version, then post a new thread to find out if someone can tell me if it is the latest one or not.

it still seems to happen almost every time I drive it. When the car is started from cold it seems to happen. One the cars warmed up it seems to be absolutely fine. Nonetheless it is very very frustrating not being about to use the screen at all sometimes for 5 min and it always opening menus and reprogramming radio stations on it's own. One thing that I find suspicious is that the menu buttons pop up at the bottom of the screen, they should only pop up when the motion sensor detects a hand near the screen?

• Step 1 Is to see if there's a way to factory reset somehow in the menus?
  • Step 2 would be to see if I can go to my local VW and get them to update it (if it does need one). Not sure if they would do this free of charge or not ??
  • Step 3 seems to be looking into the cost of a new screen or something along those lines.

I bought a car from a garage 1hr30 away so they won't be interested (plus they won't cover for something like that anyway). The car came with an AA Gold dealer extended warranty but from the booklet I got is sounds sh!t!. They literally cover nothing in that warranty and it even says it 'Excludes - In-car entertainment systems including LCD/television screens'.

I'm stuck and gutted that I might potentially be spending hundreds of pounds to now fix a screen on a car I literally just bought last month. Plus I'm in the process of spending over £100 to get a second key programmed as it only came with 1.

Literally any help of advice would be much appreciated  :lipsrsealed: :drool:

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time

Thats the problem with cars nowadays, they just keep creating new problems. Like keyless entry which means someone can easily steal your car off your drive overnight  :shocked:

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Whatever the warranty says, a garage cannot sell you a car with a defective touch screen.
You should insist the garage sorts out the problem, whether it's a software or hardware problem ( sounds very much like the latter to me)
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.