Author Topic: New MK7 GTi Owner - Unresponsive touch screen, faulty ambient light etc  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Hey guy!  :wink:

New MK7 Golf GTi (2013) owner here. Had the car a few weeks now and love it. Previously had a Fiesta ST so this was a nice upgrade. Slowly jumping up in BHP with each car I own. Think I managed to get a good example but has few very minor things, hope you guys can help. Any replies will be greatly appreciated!  :smiley:

The list is as follows:

• The touch screen sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own. When I first start the car menus open on their own and it often changes the radio station. I try to press things on the screen but it's unresponsive for a few minutes and then it works flawlessly. Only thing I've tried so far is pressing and holding the power button until it resets but doesn't seem to solve the problem.
  • There's a squeak/rattle coming from the front passenger size wheel area over bumps. The top mount was not long replaced but I guess it wasn't that?. Not sure if anyone can help with this one (may need to be looked at by someone). Not sure if this will be covered by the AA Gold warranty I got from from the garage I bought it from or not
  • One of the ambient lights isn't working on the floor/door sill. Can anyone give any tips/steps/instruction/a link with info on how to remove the trip and gain access to the cables to it. I believe they are under the door sill and the thin ribbon connectors can easily get damaged.
  • I have a voice control button (face with sound waves by mouth) on my steering wheel buy when I press it, it doesn't seem to do anything besides mute the radio?. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or maybe these cars don't come with voice control as standard?
  • The manual says that the passenger side door mirror drops when you put the car into reverse to help with parking, is this standard on all models?. Only reason I ask is because I haven't noticed the mirror move. But I will have a look next time to see if it does or not.

Thanks for any replies!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Welcome to the forum. 👍
Try a hard reset on your head unit by holding the power button in for about -15 seconds. When you see VW logo let go of the button, see if this sorts it. If not it might be a software update from the dealer or series case replaced.
Squeaky suspension could be failing shock absorbers or just dry suspension bushes.
Not sure about trim removal for lights but Google or you tube are best places to look.
The Voice button only works Voice commands if you've got Voice control. Nav pro units get it as standard but it was an option after that.
Passenger mirror tilt needs the mirror knob set on L before reversing. It may be setting up but instructions are in the manual on how to do it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
Check to see if the recent Vw infotainment update includes yours.

If you look at my past posts it gives you the details.

It’s free !
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline rajb

• Here all the time

Hey guy!  :wink:

New MK7 Golf GTi (2013) owner here. Had the car a few weeks now and love it. Previously had a Fiesta ST so this was a nice upgrade. Slowly jumping up in BHP with each car I own. Think I managed to get a good example but has few very minor things, hope you guys can help. Any replies will be greatly appreciated!  :smiley:

Welcome aboard.

• The touch screen sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own. When I first start the car menus open on their own and it often changes the radio station. I try to press things on the screen but it's unresponsive for a few minutes and then it works flawlessly. Only thing I've tried so far is pressing and holding the power button until it resets but doesn't seem to solve the problem.

As mcmaddy mentioned I'd definitely try a reboot first as that does tend to sort most glitch issues.

• There's a squeak/rattle coming from the front passenger size wheel area over bumps. The top mount was not long replaced but I guess it wasn't that?. Not sure if anyone can help with this one (may need to be looked at by someone). Not sure if this will be covered by the AA Gold warranty I got from from the garage I bought it from or not

Without hearing it, can be difficult to say, but as it's linked to bumps then could the damper/drop link/arb bush/control arm bush/joint.

• One of the ambient lights isn't working on the floor/door sill. Can anyone give any tips/steps/instruction/a link with info on how to remove the trip and gain access to the cables to it. I believe they are under the door sill and the thin ribbon connectors can easily get damaged.

The sill is clipped in and you have to give it a good tug upwards to get it off. I genuinely thought I was going to break it when I had to remove one of mine.

• I have a voice control button (face with sound waves by mouth) on my steering wheel buy when I press it, it doesn't seem to do anything besides mute the radio?. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or maybe these cars don't come with voice control as standard?

Unsure on this one but doesn't sound like you have voice control.

• The manual says that the passenger side door mirror drops when you put the car into reverse to help with parking, is this standard on all models?. Only reason I ask is because I haven't noticed the mirror move. But I will have a look next time to see if it does or not.

Set the switch position to L, then put it into reverse. The mirror should drop but if it doesn't then use the switch to move the mirror to the position you want it when dipped. Once done put the car back into neutral and the car should remember that position when reversing.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Only a couple of things to add clarify to rajb's reply...

When you take the sills off, be very careful as that fragile ribbon cable is likely to get ripped out if the sill suddenly comes away. It's connected near the rear (at least it is on the 3 door). That said, it's already not working, how much more could you break it lol?

As said, you probably don't have voice control. Easy way to check is on the front of the head unit. There's 4 buttons either side of it, if none of these say "Voice" then you don't have voice control. I think that button is standard on the steering wheels though, whether you have it or not. The muting of the stereo is normal when this button is pressed and you don't have voice control.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Thanks for the replies guys! Very helpful  :cool:

So to answer the replies above:

- I have tried pressing and holding the power button on the radio until it resets but that doesn't seem to have stopped the issue sadly. It feels like it only does it when it is cold like it's effecting the touch screen somehow. But then the screen is unresponsive when you press it making it seem like a software issue. All very strange. May try taking it to my local VW garage to see if they are able to update the software for free?

- Yeah squeaks are notoriously difficult to locate. Just mentioned it in the list in case there was a common rattle from this model car. To me it sounds like something it loose as it rattles over rough road surfaces like something is bouncing around. Might try taking it to a garage but can't imagine them finding anything very easily.

- Thanks for the info on the voice commands, didn't realise it was an option and the car manual didn't make that clear.

- Oh so I have to leave the mirror adjustment on "L" for the mirror drop to work when the car is put into reverse?. Will be giving this a go soon

Also, car only came with 1 key and you only have the option of a remote (not just a key) with an early MK7. There goes another £130

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Hi Lordie, in case you haven't, empty the car of absolutely everything removeable before trying to diagnose a rattle....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Hi Lordie, in case you haven't, empty the car of absolutely everything removeable before trying to diagnose a rattle....

Good shout :wink: thanks. It was on the car when I test drove it at the garage but they were meant to have found and fixed it with the Top Mount replacement. Will try and figure it out at some point.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Not 100% sure but isn’t the mirror dip in the settings under mirrors?

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
So the radio is really pissing me off now. Half the time I get in when the cars been parked for a while the radio touch screen just freezes up and does't work. I try to change the radio station or press any button on the screen and nothing works for about 5 minutes. Plus it still does the thing where it often starts opening menus and pressing random buttons on it's own It's driving me crazy  :sad: