Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245503 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1220 on: 27 January 2020, 10:57 »
- I couldn’t get a DCC setting  on the country roads that I really liked..and found I was switching modes a lot, why VW didn’t move it’s location for the RHD car?

Have you never used DCC before?

You do know its dynamic and doesn't actually effect the handling of the car at all, just the feeling to the driver?

Yes the LHD/RHD thing is annoying though, as is the way the NavPro not being flipped around for RHD. I'd imagine its going to be real fun in a Mk8 where all sorts of things placed carefully for driver proximity now and effectively placed in the worst position possible.

On the buttons by the stick, I would guess you probably could swap them yourself? Pop them out and relocate? Shouldn't be too hard?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1221 on: 27 January 2020, 12:59 »
So Today I had a 45 Minute test drive of a 5 door GTi TCR with DCC, I managed some dual carriageway a fair amount of Scottish A and B roads - car was on  19” Pirellis rather than Cups.

Here are my very subjective thoughts

What I liked

- The Performance, the car builds speed brilliantly and you can feel the albeit modest performance advantage over the Performance Pack.
- The brakes are really crisp, even allowing for the 8k difference between my own and the new TCR, for me these were the biggest performance difference.
- The Exhaust cracks on the overrun, I found the exhaust well judged other than at Motorway Speed where I did notice more of a drone.
- I liked the Pure Grey Paint, the front splitter and lip spoiler.
- I’d imagine the TCR would be a much better track car than the PP

What I didn’t like

- I couldn’t get a DCC setting  on the country roads that I really liked..and found I was switching modes a lot, why VW didn’t move it’s location for the RHD car?
- I missed the lack of Manual, although less than I did in the Std PP ( I’m not against autos the A110 is auto)
- The Matte Wing Mirrors - they just seem poorly executed particularly when in the drivers seat and don’t match the other gloss black accents.
- Seat Fabric Quality, the Colour is great but the fabric quality isn’t the best.

In summary if I didn’t have a Mk 7.5 GTi and at the current market prices I’d go for one as I think they are a great use everyday hot hatch, but I didn’t find enough of a difference to make me consider a swap just now.

Interesting comments. I'm not sure the TCR was ever £8k more than a GTI Performance. In fact, it was just £2k difference in list price when launched, prior to them making the Akra exhaust standard and increasing the price.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1222 on: 27 January 2020, 14:03 »
So Today I had a 45 Minute test drive of a 5 door GTi TCR with DCC, I managed some dual carriageway a fair amount of Scottish A and B roads - car was on  19” Pirellis rather than Cups.

What I liked

- The Performance, the car builds speed brilliantly and you can feel the albeit modest performance advantage over the Performance Pack.
- The brakes are really crisp, even allowing for the 8k difference between my own and the new TCR, for me these were the biggest performance difference.
- The Exhaust cracks on the overrun, I found the exhaust well judged other than at Motorway Speed where I did notice more of a drone.

What I didn’t like

- I missed the lack of Manual, although less than I did in the Std PP ( I’m not against autos the A110 is auto)
- The Matte Wing Mirrors - they just seem poorly executed particularly when in the drivers seat and don’t match the other gloss black accents.
- Seat Fabric Quality, the Colour is great but the fabric quality isn’t the best.

In summary if I didn’t have a Mk 7.5 GTi and at the current market prices I’d go for one as I think they are a great use everyday hot hatch, but I didn’t find enough of a difference to make me consider a swap just now.

Interesting comments. I'm not sure the TCR was ever £8k more than a GTI Performance. In fact, it was just £2k difference in list price when launched, prior to them making the Akra exhaust standard and increasing the price.

The pricing sat between the GTI PP and the R when it was released and given what you got extra in BHP, style, brakes, and even the soft aspect of exclusivity feel that pricing point was correct

However the Akrapovic was a game changer as as standard fit and not an option, adding another £2500 to that price which would for most have them stay with the standard GTi PP and the R - Of course add Akrapovic to the R and you add another £3000.

I would not have paid for the exhaust, I would be in an R now if had to, but it definitely adds to the car as a package and its nice knowledge that the car driving matches the early concept photos completely.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1223 on: 27 January 2020, 14:27 »

What I liked

What I didn’t like

Interesting, thanks for posting. I'm a little concerned about DCC, I find my PP to ride really well and I've read a review where the TCR was criticised for it's ride on a B road where the reviewer thought a regular GTI would've been better, that and there being more and higher cost items to go wrong. Would be interesting to see a review of a non-DCC car. Strange what you said about the seats as I really liked them! If I can get my arse in gear I'd like to get a test drive myself later this week.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #1224 on: 27 January 2020, 14:56 »
Isn't the TCR lower and stiffer than the GTI PP and would therefore surely ride a bit harsher?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1225 on: 27 January 2020, 15:14 »
I'd be interested in someone who isn't a car reviewer, but an actual Mk7.5 GTI owner to drive it and tell you the answer.

In fact, I think our friend Exonian has that knowledge... I'm sure he'll be along soon.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1226 on: 27 January 2020, 20:10 »

What I liked

What I didn’t like

Sorry Jim what I meant by 8k was the difference in mileage between my PP Brakes and the TCR brakes which are newer, I should have been clear... bottom line is the TCR brakes are much crisper.

And first VW I’ve driven with DCC which is an adaptive rather than passive suspension system. My 997 had PASM and I used to set that in normal with the throttle and gearbox in sport ... if I’d had more time I would have set this up in the individual settings.

2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1227 on: 27 January 2020, 20:30 »
Ah that makes sense  :grin:

Amazing how different they do feel after a good few miles.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1228 on: 27 January 2020, 20:30 »

Have you never used DCC before?

You do know its dynamic and doesn't actually effect the handling of the car at all, just the feeling to the driver?
err yes it does Fred. In comfort the suspension is softer and you feel the body roll, in sport the suspension is stiffer with less body roll than normal mode. Not sure what you mean by its dynamic and doesn't affect the ride of the car?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1229 on: 27 January 2020, 20:46 »

Interesting, thanks for posting. I'm a little concerned about DCC, I find my PP to ride really well and I've read a review where the TCR was criticised for it's ride on a B road where the reviewer thought a regular GTI would've been better, that and there being more and higher cost items to go wrong. Would be interesting to see a review of a non-DCC car. Strange what you said about the seats as I really liked them! If I can get my arse in gear I'd like to get a test drive myself later this week.

It’s a really subjective thing on the seats... I thought the material didn’t feel as high quality as Art Velour. Door cards were nice though.
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten