Author Topic: Std Mk4 Single CD Player Faulty ???  (Read 2742 times)

Offline mak911s

• Not said much yet
Std Mk4 Single CD Player Faulty ???
« on: 04 December 2003, 21:07 »
Hi folks

just bought a single player from a breakers and doubting it may be faulty but then again could be head(tuner cassette) unit.  Head unit is a std VW Gamma and single player the std VW version.

The single CD player has come with 1 cable hard wired with a scarty type end connector.  On this connector(which seems to be made of 3 interlinked blocks) only 1 end is wired with 8 pins.

When this block is connected to the Gamma head unit (spare slot of 3) the CD player works but...

I expected the Select and Eject buttons to illuminate red when i put the my sidelights/headlights on.
Reason i purchased VW-CD Player was for the cool dash factor and not getting that here.

Red light illuminates on CD player for say single of multiplayer selection, and long red light illuminates in center of unit(where CD enters).. but no background red lighting to the Round Select/Eject buttons.

Should these illuminate when headllights are put on or simply come on when CD player on ?
I have assumed they come on with headlights and have variable brightness with the dashboard control adjustment, meaning whole dash adjustable at once.

Tried probing the Head unit (8 pins) for a 12V or any voltage which comes on and off with lights,  None found.

Confused !!!!!!  Breaker reckoned it maybe a bulb in CD player.
I've asked him if there is another cable he should have sent me but since asking, i took at look at back of head unit and cant see where another cable would attatch.

Incidently, CD player plays music fine, just doesn't illuminate way i reckon it should.

Any help appreciated

cheers

Mark

Offline mak911s

• Not said much yet
Re:Std Mk4 Single CD Player Faulty ???
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2003, 01:34 »
Guys

& gals..  problem sorted

Phoned VW and they said i needed extra cable(breaker sending me at the moment).  Sussed out 2 pin connector on back of cd player was terminal for lighting. VW guy wouldn't comfirm this as i'd purchased from 3rd party(typical).  One of terminals was a ground, ie short circuited to chassis.  2nd, when touched with continuity measurement together with inside/inner(not outer) LEDS, illuminated the LEDs i wanted to illuminate in 1st place.  Feel good factor at abou 1:30pm today 110%

2 wires installed, 1st from outer pin to chassis and 2nd from inner pin to connection labbelled with a sun for lighting (2nd pin in on bottom Head unit connector.)
All, in all, a botch up arrangment with 2 wires hanging out my cd player, one to earth and one to variable live from Head unit but sorted anyway.  

Proper cable on route from breakers but couldn't wait.

Sad that this board couldn't tell me i was missing a cable, 2 days and all for a standard CD player fitment.

Mark

Offline mak911s

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2003, 01:51 »
Just realised its only 1 day and i'm a sad late shift working poster and past 12.00 pm so looks like 2 days since original posting, woops,  anyway poor response,  get agrip folks, help one-another.

Mark

kniterider

« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2003, 01:55 »
never read the post till now matey!!, not had anything to do with the single cd unit as i fitted a 6 disc boot changer to mygamma in my golf, sorry if you think that were slow at replying, i work shifts also!!!! oh yeah and ive got 3 kids and a wifey so cant be on 24/7 lol ;D