Author Topic: coaxial or components  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
coaxial or components
« on: 04 December 2003, 18:18 »
Hi All

I've just bought a mk2 16v  ;D and am very pleased with it, its still got the original blaupunkt stereo in it, i'm currently ordering stereo bits of the net, ordered the head unit ,sub,amp but have come stuck as to the speakers, I know there in the dash but whats the size, i read on one post they were 3.5" and on another 4"  ???

Also hopefully someone can tell me is there any advantage of going components over a coaxial,
of the following set up whats best?

a)5.25"Mid in the door, tweeter in the original dash speaker position

b)5.25"coaxial in the door

c)coaxial in the dash were the old speakers are

:o and finally whats peakers do you recommend ona budget of 100 quid maxs for the component option

cheers & thanks in advance

D
1997 16V

Veedubgt18v

Re:coaxial or components
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2003, 18:23 »
go for 5.25 in the door and a tweeter in the dash position, look at phoenix gold (bit more than 100 tho but not loads) and i have had some good pioneer before but cant remeber what they were called sorry

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2003, 21:14 »
Actually my first and only quote for the Phoenix Gold qx130 was ?95.  I don't know anyone on here that actually has them but people seem to rate them for some reason.

I was told that these speakers (like most component speakers) need to be driven by an amp to get the best out of them.

I would definately go for a) but you could still put lower range coaxial speakers in the door & tweeters in the dash.

R

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2003, 09:12 »
how easy is it to wire up the new speakers into the door, will i need to take the dash apart to get the new cabling round?

I will only be running these speakers from the head unit which as an alpine 9815 so it wont have that much power, but i do want a quality sound, so it seems it may struggle with the pheonix speakers any other suggestions?

thanks

D
1997 16V

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2003, 14:24 »

and

all run off my headunit. you only need to remove the lower parts of the dash and the center console.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2003, 15:09 »
Most tweeters would also fit where the old speaker was on the dash as well though.

Dizzie, what speakers are these? Do you have them capped/crossover, do they distort at all through the head unit?

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2003, 17:08 »
Alpine SPR136A
http://www.cel-direct.com/detail.asp?ProductID=2142 for the linky

my headunit pumps out 4x50w and the speakers are rated to 40w so I don't go over 30. I think it tops at 40. Kenwood KDC-PSW9524. I generally leave the headunit it it's self when the EQ's are concerned. everytime I fiddle to gain a bit it looses the settings when I remove it from the dash. You can tell it what size speakers are attached though. dunno if that actually makes any difference though.
Mk4 Golf 150PD