Author Topic: Amp Trigger Woes, Help!!!  (Read 4944 times)

Offline paladin

• Not said much yet
  • Call me old and I'll smack the sh!t out of you.
Amp Trigger Woes, Help!!!
« on: 22 November 2003, 21:56 »
I was trying to install a trigger for a powered sub in my Mk3 by using the (Brown/red) ignition wire (which seeemed to be the switch for the radio and door chimes).

Well, no more chimes, no more radio.

I disconnected the patched wire and can't find any blown fuses in the panel, but still no chimes nor radio.

Help!
'94 Mk III 2.0
Bosal cat-back:K&N w/mod.airbox:GIAC
Alpine 9815
JBL BassPro
CDT Audio HD-52 in reinforced q-form kicks
MB Quart 218.21 (mid's) in rear
QuietCar (being applied)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:Amp Trigger Woes, Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2003, 22:57 »
retrace your steps before it all stopped working. if none of your fuses are blown something must be wired up differently to when it worked previously.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2003, 00:29 »
As Dizzie says you need to trace your steps back. In theory you should be ok using a low voltage wire for an amp trigger as it is minimal current but combined with the door chime circuit and radio on too this may have overloaded the fuse.

If the radio feed fuse is ok and you cant find anything else you are going have to trace the wires and see if you've got a burnt out wire.

Normal practice is to take the amp trigger wires from the blue wire/wires on the back of the head unit.

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2003, 00:37 »

Normal practice is to take the amp trigger wires from the blue wire/wires on the back of the head unit.

what i was gonna say.. thought i might have been missing a trick..

(normally run it up with the RCAs)
« Last Edit: 23 November 2003, 00:37 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2003, 00:39 »
What head unit are you using as a lot of them allow you to turn the amp trigger on and off through the menu?

Offline paladin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2003, 05:51 »
It's the factory 'premium' system...

I'm gonna start fresh tomorrow.  I've disconnected the additional wire and still no sound (or door chime) yet.

I'll take the radio out, if for no other reason but to look for the blue wire for a trigger mentioned (I heard it mentioned before as the antenna wire, I just didn't see it.)

If I burned out the wire it'll be a real b!tch to replace.  As it was, I had spent 3 1/2 hrs to find that one, splice into it, and run a wire to the hatch.

I attempted to test the wire with a multi-meter to see if it was strong enough to kick on the amp before attaching it.  I turned the knob on the meter slowly to the test setting while it was still on the wire, could that have sent enough feedback to blow it?
'94 Mk III 2.0
Alpine 9815
JBL BassPro
QuietCar (being applied)

Blue MK2

« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2003, 11:35 »
If the headunit has stopped working have you tried the fuse behind the headunit?

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2003, 12:40 »
ohh and triple check the fuses.. i had one that had gone the other week that looked ok, but didnt buzz out ok with the multimeter.. there was a hairline crack in it.. and I did that while i was fitting the new headunit...  i could actually make it work/not work by slightly flexing the fuse.. crazy huh
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline paladin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2003, 15:32 »
I wanted to thank you guys for your help...

So far, it seems the wire I was trying to splice into was the correct trigger wire as verified by the back of the factory radio.  Unfortunately no power is going though that wire now. (the fuse on the radio is fine)

I've found the (wire brown w/red) on the radio, near the fusebox, and going into the ignition switch.  Each one used to have power (that's why I decided to use it in the first place), nothing now.

I'm gonna recheck for a burned fuse (I broke one of the plastic fusebox hold down clips the last time  >:(), but if it's a trigger in the ignition switch, I don't think I'm messing with it.  Although, I'm not looking forward to running a different trigger wire into the radio's harness, I'm not changing an ignition switch so I can have door chimes... I'll have to use a different trigger.

Any Ideas?
'94 Mk III 2.0
Alpine 9815
JBL BassPro
QuietCar (being applied)

Blue MK2

« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2003, 15:38 »
Its a good idea to buy a small volt meter. :)

Use the (+) wire from your heater?
I you do, get an in-line fused wire and connect it up to your radio.

Not too sure about mk3 golfs but this is how my mk2 golf is set up.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2003, 15:39 by Blue MK2 »