Author Topic: rear speakers  (Read 4118 times)

Offline gazzagtiT

• Here all the time
  • Houston, we hav a pic here!!
rear speakers
« on: 21 November 2003, 09:30 »
now my head unit sorted i'v got 6x9's in a stealth shelf, but am just going to extend the rear door speakers wiring to the shelf, but this looks potentially a tough job, cause it looks like the door panels hav to come off,then the new wires to be fed through into the door pilla's then under the carpets an seats to the shelf, has any1 done this before, on there 5door mk4, havn't had a chance to hav a look 4 a good route for the wires yet,is it a mission?? 8)

Its all better now very shiny, but now the windows have gone again! and shocks are squeaking like mice!!aarrgghhh

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re:rear speakers
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2003, 10:25 »
Have you considered running entirely new cable, from your stealth shelf up to the head unit?

Would be a much easier run (not routing through doors for a start!) and would obviously allow for a cleaner signal (and therefore better sound) through better cabling.

You would just need to modify your wiring loom up behind the dash to disconnect your existing rear door speakers and hook up the new sx9's in their place.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline gazzagtiT

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2003, 10:43 »
may be alot easier, i'l look into it sunday, your right though could be easier

Its all better now very shiny, but now the windows have gone again! and shocks are squeaking like mice!!aarrgghhh

Blue MK2

« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2003, 11:17 »
When you wire yor speakers up make sure you get the (+) and (-) the right ways or there will be no bass. ;)

Offline gazzagtiT

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2003, 23:35 »
i aint that daft, i've plenty before wiv amps an subs an stuff, cant be bothered wiv all that an to be honest i had a similar set up in my saxo, an it was louder an better sounding than few people i knew wiv amps an subs. never say never but one step at a time. get this sorted then probably go for some wheels! ::)

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2003, 21:08 »
I would lay new cables for the speakers in your shelf and just leave the factory ones in place. If you ever take the equipment out to transfer to another car you can always change it back to the way it was.

Also you can get decent quality speaker wire which will be a darn site better than the standard factory stuff.

Offline Helios_Blue_Valver

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2003, 03:38 »
now my head unit sorted i'v got 6x9's in a stealth shelf, but am just going to extend the rear door speakers wiring to the shelf, but this looks potentially a tough job, cause it looks like the door panels hav to come off,then the new wires to be fed through into the door pilla's then under the carpets an seats to the shelf, has any1 done this before, on there 5door mk4, havn't had a chance to hav a look 4 a good route for the wires yet,is it a mission?? 8)

How did you go about building the stealth shelf? I need to do something different with mine as I just epoxied a piece of MDF to an old parcel shelf to stiffen it and then mounted my 6x9's in it. not crazy over the way it turned out. any ideas would be appreciated.

Blue MK2

« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2003, 08:03 »
What I would do is mount the 6x9s under the MDF using bolts. Then cover the lot in acoustic carpet so its all hidden

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2003, 08:07 »
Well, the simplest way is to buy one, check out the link below

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/tplsearchstore.cfm?hidedeptmatrix=yes&did=32500&page=1&action=search&useverity=1&store=AutoAcoustics2&searchstring=golf&checkfield=&searchpricegt=&searchpricelt=&displayorder=descending&orderby=relevance

Personally, I have always built them myself. The best results I have had have been where I have used 2 slightly thinner layers of mdf, one flat, the other forming the 'ribs' of the shelf - this gives it some profile (so it looks standard) as well as extra strength.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2003, 22:25 »
As long as your good with a jigsaw and router its easy to make one, I only have the acoustic carpet left to do on mine.

I'll take some pics and post them if you want ideas.