Author Topic: Mr_Orange - mk4 silver 1.8T  (Read 59922 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: Mr_Orange - mk4 silver 1.8T
« Reply #20 on: 09 August 2015, 15:12 »
Jacked the front coils up a turn to see if that cures the rub. I'm not sure now if it was tyre on arch or the dshaft on the chassis. Will see if that cures it. I don't want to go too far upwards as I really like the look.
Had fun and games getting the wheels back on, with the spacers moving around. Need me one of those aligning stud things!

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2015, 18:43 »
It now has a rust free tailgate and handle! The tailgate paint is a bit tired and I painted the handle before fitting, so will get them blown over in new year.
Pic during the swap out.  Car looked kinda weird without a boot!

Getting the barrel out the handle was a b#$%@!

Currently has an ABS fault when going real slow, like manoeuvring to park. Got booked in this Weds for fix. Believe it to be sensor. Hope so, but gutted as they're only 5 months old.

Gave it a good clean and finished off with some "bd clean" detailer spray. Real nice to apply and buff back. Good stuff. Looks great.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2015, 20:39 by Mr_Orange »

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 28 October 2015, 21:46 »
ABS error turned into an expensive nightmare.  Less said about that the better  :sick:

Winter steels are on and the BBS have been cleaned, sealed and put away for winter.  I jacked the front up for some winter (and up coming MOT) ground clearance but struggled with the adjusters at the rear end.  I'll have another crack at it this coming weekend.

Build thread clicky

Offline BadcarEurope

• Just got here
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2015, 11:24 »
You are doing great job out there :) Can't wait for more pictures :)
The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2015, 08:53 »
Passed it's mot. Advisory that it had steel wheels fitted?
Hoping for time and suitable weather over the weekend to clean and give it a good wax seal.

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 14 December 2015, 21:08 »
Well its decided to drop it's coolant. No visible signs of leaks.
Gong by funny smell inside car and small drop of water in footwell vent my money is on heater matrix, but niggle in my mind with it being the head gasket.
Time will tell. Have uv ink in coolant now and hoping to find source.

Build thread clicky

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 14 December 2015, 22:24 »
Gong by funny smell inside car and small drop of water in footwell vent my money is on heater matrix, but niggle in my mind with it being the head gasket.
my guess would be heater matrix too  :sad:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2016, 20:06 »
my guess would be heater matrix too  :sad:

After all that time it held onto its coolant and only dropped about 5-10mm in the header tank.  All very strange!  I monitored the level every few days and before/after a trip.  I had use of a UV torch but it was pretty inconclusive with my limited visibility around engine.  Took it back to garage a couple of times and they confirmed it was from the bottom of the radiator.  Changed it out today, fingers crossed that was it!  :D

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 11 July 2016, 20:37 »
Well, it was the rad. No more coolant loss since. So have been really enjoying it up until recently.

Sad to say it developed stiff power steering when warmed.up, thought it likely the pas pump. It just started making a noise in that area of the engine, so thought it most likely the pas pump again. Removed aux belt and noise remains...... Sh1t! It's more audible inside the car, but not so much outside.

Leads me to suspect a rough bearing around the timing belt.

Have been left weighing up my options. I love the car to bits, but simply don't have the money to pump into it.

It's worth more in bits, but too good to break up. Sad times 😔

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 21 July 2016, 21:46 »
Sot it would appear the noise I can hear is the off side engine mount.....  Transmitting noise into the cabin.  Took a while to work it out!
Noticed the noise is only really audible inside the car.  Took it out just now and noticed it also does it over bumps - when not on throttle - that can't be a bearing!  Parked on a slope and the noise stops, where I guess the engine weight is transferred elsewhere.  Panic over in that regard!

Remains up for sale right now.  Now got to decide whether to repair prior to sale, or sell with this minor fault.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 21:52 by Mr_Orange »

Build thread clicky