Author Topic: Rust/Painting  (Read 62737 times)

Offline Ashley

• I live here
Re: Rust/Painting
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2008, 17:54 »
depending on how bad it is you need to gring it/sand it and put some kurust on it

Offline Ant

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2008, 22:16 »
What about stone chips?

I've got one or two that a previous owner hasn't dealt with, the chip exposed the bare metal and so it's a little rust, don't know if it's worth the risk of me 'having a go' vs further damage.

Is there some simple way of dealing with these instead of grinding back?

Offline bundy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2008, 23:08 »
in the how to, what do you mean by "tack cloth"? 

Offline voiceNFC

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2008, 15:31 »
Hi guys
I've got quite a deep bit of rust by the petrol cap (inside the door around the screw cap) when I pressed my finger in to it it went in a bit, not all the way through! Any ideas on what to do with this? Obviously I'm not that bothered how it looks cosmetically seeing as though it's behind the petrol flat but Im a bit concerned that it's going to get worse and cause major probs.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers  :sad:

Offline benjer182

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2008, 17:19 »
at my work we do alot of rusty mercs and other rusty sh!t wot we do is
grind the rust off with a grinder or belt sander
once every trace of rust has gone sand the area bak
then apply a good filler
sand this bak untill the filler work is right
once it is corrrect prime it i dont no y people say to flat the primer in between coats but i dont no of anywer that duz this
once the primer has gone off flat it off mask the area and paint
once the paint has gone of flat dirt out of the paintwiv 2000 and buff up with a polisher

but ffs dont get the repair wet b4 u paint because primer lets water in and the filler holds it like  a sponge agenst the metal and this makes it rust agen                    and also dont ask people who work at halfords (no offence if u do)     but they ent panel beaters or painters       ur beta off askin a body shop

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2008, 19:44 »
What about stone chips?

I've got one or two that a previous owner hasn't dealt with, the chip exposed the bare metal and so it's a little rust, don't know if it's worth the risk of me 'having a go' vs further damage.

Is there some simple way of dealing with these instead of grinding back?

i also would like to know how to deal with stone chips, anyone got any tips?

Offline samjac68

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2008, 12:19 »
i saw a guide for repairing stone chips on detailing world, they showed them touched up with a touch up stick, flatted back with 1500 grit wet n dry and then rubbing compound and a good polish :smiley:

looked good as new :smiley:

Not got a golf yet! did have a 1.6 driver plan to have another project car soon ;)

Offline Dan Gleebits

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2009, 20:03 »
if you have to leave the paint to dry for 2 weeks something is wrong.
i have painted in 2k paint left to air dry and polished/mopped it the next day or painted 2k in a oven(morning) and polished late that same day, or the 1k stuff for smart repairs and polished after a few hours.
i use 2k high build primer, i dont sand between coats, no point.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 19 January 2009, 23:07 by Dan Gleebits »

Offline e11ie

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2009, 18:02 »
If you have rust that you are just going to cover up with plastic trim...(which i wouldnt recommend because rust doesnt just go away!) then coat it in waxoil. That should do something towards halting it but never as good as grinding it back and coating it in Krust.

Even if you don't re-paint it just do the above and paint over the Krust with some hammerite and then stick the plastic trim over it.....you dont want to be a couple of years down the line with the trim falling off because the holes have totally rusted out!
« Last Edit: 06 April 2009, 17:49 by e11ie »

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2009, 02:20 »
Here's a link to a guide I did some time ago, Not a VW, but very relevant http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=93525.0
Thom