Author Topic: Decision time looming  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Decision time looming
« on: 17 January 2019, 17:05 »
will have to select changeover at start of May and up until very recently it was going to be another Golf R in Indium with the Black Pretoria. Previous car was a 63 plate pure white GTD and present is a 66 plate Lapiz R with Pretoria.

The dilemma is the GTI has been turning my head in recent times, they seem to be stalking me and the wonder is how much would I really miss the R if switched to the more iconic GTI Performance as well as save a few ££ in the process.

Quite like the 'Art velour' interior and basically the whole trim package, it does make the GTI stand out and particularly now the red stripe aesthetic has been so greatly improved on the MK 7.5 with the DRL. (The R has lost one of its signature pieces with all performance Golf now having these twin DRL, which was one of features that added to why went R originally over the GTI)

even tempted to stay on the Parker and not option the DCC

The one real concern is the tramping as got very used to the AWD and pulling into traffic without any feathering of the throttle. Does the Performance Diff make any difference to that at all (suspect not)

As much as love the 300 BHP do suspect in the real world the 245 BHP would not give a feeling of much loss? and thats more so in the dry - do remember my previous GTD and that was sure footed in all conditions, though tramping was an issue in the damp and one of the reason went R

So the question is, has anyone gone back from the R to a GTI? and if so please can you share your thoughts.

Similarly interested in those who went from GTI to R but think those going back to GTI would be the experience to really understand in what lost/gained.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline MarkHowells

• Not said much yet
Re: Decision time looming
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2019, 18:38 »
Hello Hertsman,

I have come from a 2014 Golf R manual that I had for 4 years to a 2018 Golf Gti Performance manual which I have had since June 2018 and covered 4,500 miles in.

This is my opinion.

Exterior Styling
I prefer the styling of the GTi, the red lines in the headlights that are continued from the grill look really good, especially with the Atlantic Blue finish to the car. I do prefer the quad exhausts at the rear end of the R than the twin exhausts of the GTi. I think that the front and rear end lighting on the 7.5 is a major improvement from the 7.
Although I have nothing against the standard GTi alloy wheels, I really think that the 19” Santiago wheels look really good on the GTi.

Interior styling
I decided to go for the standard GTi classic cloth seats and I think that they look great! The interior styling gives the GTi a bit of character compared to the R and the quality cannot be faulted, it is fantastic. I find that all of the equipment is positioned conveniently and also easy to use. I found the larger centre display much better and I like the active dash but just wish that it was more configurable to be able suit everyone’s needs. The ambient lighting is also good with nice touches on the door handle, footwell and red strips on the door and sill. I have added my own red LED lighting under the front and back seats.

Driving & comfort
There’s no doubt that both cars are great to drive. I am finding that in comfort mode, the GTi gives a much smoother ride than what the R did even though the ride in the R was good. The GTi feels lighter when driven and without feeling that it cannot be controlled when driving around corners at higher speeds. As with the R, I normally drive in the individual mode so that I can select the best set up that suits me for everyday driving. Not a big fan of the sound being generated into the cabin, but as it is adjustable it is not a problem. The LED headlights are much better than the Xenon headlights on the R.

Practicality
Both the R and this GTi are very practical cars. The boot is a little deeper in the GTi, but that was never a problem for me with the R.

Engine, drive and performance
The exhaust sound on the GTi seems to be louder than that of my R. I personally prefer the sound of the R (especially the interior sound as the R sound is much deeper). The R has a grunt, but the GTi just doesn’t. The R feels more planted. The GTi feels lighter but not unstable.

Acceleration - The R did have a bit of a delay in acceleration between 2000 and 3000 revs and I have not noticed this in the GTi. The R is obviously quicker on acceleration and just seemed to go forever, whereas the GTi seems to run out of steam at the higher end of the revs.

Running costs
I averaged 32 to 35 mpg in the R and am averaging between 38 and 42 mpg in the GTi I have decided to use Shell V-Power Nitro+ every couple of months, but I tend to use Super Unleaded to make some cost savings (20p per litre). Can’t say I have noticed much difference to performance or economy. Car tax is £50 per year less and the insurance is also cheaper (£30).

Issues
None.

Conclusion
This is a really good car. It looks good, feels good, sounds great and goes like a rocket. OK it does not have the grunt or sound as good as the R and although the 0 – 60 is slower than the R, the acceleration is in incredible and is still a fast car. It is cheaper to run than the R without having to sacrifice too much on the performance. I do like it, and the reason why I did not get another R is simply because at the time of ordering the R, it was only available as a DSG. Now, I know that the DSG system on the R is great, but I have been driving manual cars for over 40 years now and I was not sure that I can adapt from a manual to an auto. So, I decided to go for the GTi PP manual with a view of using the cost savings to be able to order the Mk8 R when it becomes available.
Hope this helps.

MarkH

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2019, 20:04 »
There are worse decisions to have to make!

Golf TCR?  :cool:

If both wheels are pointing straight ahead then the VAQ can’t aid traction and the TCS light will flicker on the AID. Add in a bit of steering lock and the VAQ adds a sharpness the R lacks and the grip is almost on a par though. Almost!

The best question to ask yourself is how often you use high revs and what sort of driver are you?
The R has a slight low rev torque hole but once the turbo is on song over 2500 then it’s in a different league to the GTI. Yet if you don’t use high revs then the smaller GTI turbo spins up much quicker and it’s more flexible at low to mid revs. The R is very revvy where the GTI isn’t, yet the GTI is still surprisingly quick once rolling.

Styling is subjective.
The GTI looks sporty inside and out, the R looks purposefully understated which a lot of owners love.

I think a few extended test drives are the only answer to see which engine and chassis suits your driving style best. They are quite different beasts despite sharing the same basic platform and engines.

Did I say TCR?  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2019, 22:33 »
I suspect you'll find the gti less planted over bumps and bumpy roads.... My theory is that the awd diff over the rear keeps it more planted... The extra weight. A fwd golf has a very light rear end. It's not dangerous or bad handling but you will notice the difference... But try it!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2019, 08:26 »
You have a pretty new R, why do you feel the need to change it? Has it done galactic miles or something?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2019, 11:14 »
Thanks everyone - Good comments for the melting pot.

Mine is company lease and though was hugely tempted to purchase this time around it will just be little too much in costs and has unfortunately been a magnet for rear end and door damage and front bumper scrape - none my fault, all repaired and all cosmetic opposed to anything structural - Do take care of my cars and do not drive like a madman and so at 22,000 miles it will be a well run in and mechanically sound. (actual changeover is on October so expect that to be 28,000)

But have decided to just changeover this time around as its a no worry package where everything is catered for aside from the fuel,

Though the GTI is a little more frugal, fuel and cost is not a consideration really as given my demographic of mixed driving I manage 27-28 MPG as an average and where used to put about £110 a month in my GTD its circa £160 -180 in the R and one tank extra for all the R gives you is an ok trade off.

Always been manual, but the GTD converted me and doubt ever go back from DSG.

Quite like the two prominent exhaust of the GTI - The R obviously work on more is better philosophy but its not a huge difference maker for me and given how much soot are on mine at moment its hard to make out any of them! :)

My driving style is that am happy to cruise around with everyone else when have to in the commute and local traffic and in comfort so do not race about and am quite relaxed and love that the Golf Performance cars have this ability - What do like is the ability to getaway into the flow of traffic quickly and also have the ability to accelerate in traffic to re position myself quickly and the R is rapid in these moments.

Think the GTI will do all of this and very well in the dry but the damp/wet is my concern and the tramping.

Would refer to my GTD as comparison, but realise the engine weight and set up is different from the GTI and that the GTI is lighter on its toes

Also understand the comment on the GTI feeling lighter to drive and maybe there is a better driver feel when pushing it along as the R is extremely planted and goes around bends as one solid entity - There is definitely less lightness/feeling than the other FWD driven and the previous GTD

There is a delay on when the R responds, and many have pedal boxes - but have to keep mine stock and you do get used to your point of acceleration on the pedal and so its not something thats an issue as you intuitively hit the sweet spot to get away quickly - but presume from the comments the GTI responds much quicker and there is not as much need for a pedal box

Love the Pretoria on the R, makes the car but not as sold on the 19" options on the GTI and hence likely stay stock on the GTI

Prefer the interior of the GTI and even with standard seats but maybe more so with the art velour, so one thing sure of the cockpit experience will be good.

Think the GTI really won with the DRL style change as stripe looks perfectly blended now and also the uplift to twin DRL - Like the R also so its not an area of any real worry on selecting the GTI

There is of course the iconic nature of the GTI, to this day the less informed have no idea what an R is and it plays up to that stealth status perfectly, but everyone knows and recognises the GTI and that red stripe - So it might be nice to complete the set of having driving all three of the range

If i was to option the GTI up in price to close to the R I may as well stay with the R so the sway would be a significant cash save but convinced myself not lost too much in selecting the GTI this time around

as rightly stated there is worst choices to have and appreciate that completely, none of us would be unhappy with any of the range if given to us and its because it we like to work into the details that these forums exist :)

Definitely going to request a GTI test drive this time around straight after getting out of the R so will let you know what feel soon after - thanks for comments more useful than think and appreciated.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2019, 11:16 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2019, 12:54 »
Report back with you opinion when you have done your GTI test drive - I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2019, 13:37 »

Golf TCR?  :cool:

Did I say TCR?  :grin:

Doubt would even get a look at a TCR but if it was somehow miraculously there and just had to push the buttons I would not hesitate Its iconic and amazing looking with its subtle but still prominent style lifts  - would not worry about any of the dilemma discussed you just drive adapt and enjoy  :drool: :cool:

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2019, 13:40 »
Report back with you opinion when you have done your GTI test drive - I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts!

Never took the option to test drive previously as felt could not really go wrong with decisions and thats proved right but this is quite different as would be choice might regret and so want to be sure and its a definite that ask (will get for a weekend) and will literally drive them back to back for fresh and honest comparison and the decision.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2019, 14:03 »
Not driven an R but reckon in most situations, the GTI Performance wouldn't be far behind an R. Have been very impressed with both my 7.5 GTI's and now loving my current with the extra noises from my recent res delete.

Traction is always going to be an issue - mostly when setting off but it does struggle this time of year if you try too hard in 2nd. But on a drive over some great back roads this week, I was genuinely surprised how much performance I was able to use considering the time of year.

One of the best drives in my previous one, a FL 230bhp GTI was during a weekend of driving in Wales when me and a friend got separated from the others on a really nice twisty road. I was out in front, with new tyres and warm weather and the GTI was as quick as you could travel on that road. My friend behind kept up. Just. He was in a 991.2 Targa GTS. With 450bhp  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey