Author Topic: GTD Fuel/Additives?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline CodeMonkey

• Just got here
GTD Fuel/Additives?
« on: 22 October 2018, 18:45 »
Hi all
Newbie to the forum and VW.
I bought a Mk7 gtd dsg last year and I love it. With it being 2 years old and the fact that I only do short journeys I've been putting more thought into the fuel I use and if I should be adding any extra additives or once a year engine cleaning products. For reference most of my journeys to and from work the engine just gets warm, I do long drives and least once a week including motorways, a roads and b road blasts to try and reduce the risk of dpf issues and before anyone says I should have bought a GTi, I wanted to but the misses didn't like it so we compromised and got a gtd :).
Sorry I'm guessing this has been asked many times before however I'm unable to find any that relate specifically to a gtd. From the articles/forums I've read it sounds like it's down to personal opinions however I'm interested to know what fuel brand other people put in their car? the stations that are on my daily route are shell, BP and asda and further out there are Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons. Does anybody have any opinions in regards to these brands and/or thier premium fuels? Also does anyone have experience using additives/cleaning products which you add to the fuel? I've been looking at miller's diesel power ecomax and it seems to get very good reviews. Anyway sorry for the essay and thanks for all your help in advance.
Cheers
Tom

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
Re: GTD Fuel/Additives?
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2018, 19:18 »
Use Shell V-Power diesel for cleaner running - less regens  :wink:
2016 GTD

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2018, 12:08 »
Another vote for V Power, or take a look at Miller's Diesel EcoMax.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2018, 08:25 »
P/x the wife and get a GTI? :wink: How on earth though was a GTD a compromise, what was the criteria? Unless you bought the estate I suppose.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CodeMonkey

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2018, 11:11 »
Thanks for the replies guys I think I'm going to try shell with miller's and shell v power and see which feels better. Is there any specific reason you both chose shell rather than BP ultimate? Haha the thought had crossed my mind about the misses, she wanted a bog standard slow golf and I wanted a quick 1, we couldn't afford the extra cost of the R at the time so I wanted a GTi pp but she didn't like the red grill or brake calipers (honestly how can someone not like 2 of the defining characteristics of the car?) So we settled on the GTD, I get the power(sort of) and she gets the looks

Offline CodeMonkey

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2018, 11:48 »
Any other votes? I've done some googling and I've not found any evidence but apparently shell has a higher cetane rating than others diesels, 53 compared to 51, which may explain why it feels smoother, v power is another step up at 55-57 although it doesn't make any difference above 55.