Author Topic: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.  (Read 12009 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.
« Reply #40 on: 14 October 2018, 14:14 »
I went in a testdrive of a Q3 and a T-Rocc. I actually think overall that the Vw was better. Maybe it’s just that the q3 felt really old inside.

I was really disappointed with the T-Roc interior. One of the cheapest feeling and looking VW interiors I can remember. Way below what i've come to expect.

The Q3 interior is just long in the tooth, the new Q3 fixes that.
7.5 GTD

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 14 October 2018, 14:19 »

Outside of the official dealer market they are approaching 50% of list pricing

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809270938890

Or pay more from a dealer for an extendable warranty. It comes down to how to finance £15,000 vs £30,000, the dealer make it really easy to finance a new one!

Unless you use your money as working business capital, you might as well buy the £15k car outright. That way it's all done with. No monthlies and no need to have to make a decision about what car/deal to get when the finance reaches term.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 14 October 2018, 15:45 »
Guzzle -I wonder if Mk8 Golf wil also suffer the downgrading in interior feel?
This is one of the things I pondered before I decided to order a 2019 7.5
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 14 October 2018, 16:27 »
A very good point about the Mk8 interior. Personally, I don’t think Vw will compromise on their flagship model in terms of volume.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 14 October 2018, 16:35 »
Hopefully not, i'd expect the Mk8 to at least be a step up on the new Polo, which is actually pretty good for a small car. Better than the T-Roc anyway.

I expect nice soft touch tactile materials in all the places you'll touch or where they'll be easily seen. Then there'll be swathes of hard cheap plastic wherever they think the average punter won't notice.
7.5 GTD

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #45 on: 14 October 2018, 18:32 »
From 1998 for all your inflation enthusiasts.

An "R" cost £20,000 versus £32,000-ish today

If you spent an arm and leg over those 20 years to keep it nice, then expect to get about £4000 back

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808199651519

Are they MK4 prices there?

Not really comparing apples with apples. The VR6/R32 were a lot more expensive than the GTI of the same era because they had a V6 engine as well as the haldex set-up, as opposed to now where it's using a very similar engine to the GTI with the same displacement, but with a bigger turbo and injectors (a few other small differences i'm sure), and the haldex. A better comparison of VW inflation is 2.0GTI to 2.0GTI.

The R is basically a GTI PP that's had a remap and half of the £1100 cost of a haldex unit (the price differential Audi change between quattro and non-quattro variants of the same car on the A3) offset by not having the PP's diff - for that reason, the MK7 R is relatively little more than the GTI compared to the VR6/R32 of old.

To be honest, the MK7 GTI looks very expensive compared to the outgoing MK5 price, but compare MK5 to MK6 and MK6 to MK7 and you'll see that it was the introduction of the MK6 where VW really hiked the prices up, MK7 came in with a ton of extra tech and was only a few hundred quid more than the outgoing MK6 RRP.

The MK6 added about £200 of equipment over the MK5, saved a lot of assembly time and cost by introducing a massively simplified multilink rear suspension, and cost about £4k more. It was a move that pushed me to the well equipped Scirocco, as it looked a steal next to the MK6 Golf.

Now all the lease specials have left the leasers hands and been resold, R used prices are looking pretty solid again - I was surprised to see 15 Reg manual Rs going for between £21k and £22k at most franchised dealerships - was expecting it to be more in the region of £18k. On that basis, i'm hoping to get £16-17k for mine in p/x next march if I do chop it in for the wife to have a Polo GTI+, when i'm presuming it will have depreciated by less than £2k at retail between now and then.

I thought the R had a different turbo and other engine upgrades like better pistons, oil jet cooling, stronger head and valve springs to the GTI PP? Not just a map...  :undecided:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 14 October 2018, 20:16 »
^ It does. I was being simplistic and highlighting the need to compare a 2.0 4cyl to a 2.0 4 cyl, not a 2.8 or 3.2 V6 when doing inflation checks. Old VR6 was a markedly more expensive car than the GTI of the time for those reasons.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #47 on: 15 October 2018, 00:19 »
Surely a bit of perspective is the order of the day.

I'd agree that generally the overall reliability & build quality isn't what it was (but as an 'outsider', I wasn't convinced as far back as the Mk5). I'd also agree with people about the Mk7, very good in some aspects, but not anywhere close to the perception of what the quality should be for what it is perceived it should be for the absolute list price).

However, in real terms, along with progress, the price isn't that bad. The problem is a combination of price Vs wage inflation, the impact of PCP and the German manufacturers attitude to direct Vs indirect discounts.
Admittedly not a direct comparison on the face of it, but first one that popped into my head, a 1990 Merc 190E 2l, with better build quality, but no more space, far less power/performance & a desert worth of kit shortage (a radio as standard by that point, maybe?) was in today's money 40k with likely few discounts available.

Even allowing for differences, badge etc, that's a lot of money for some solidity (or extra warranty, repairs etc). I haven't checked, but I wonder how much a fully loaded Cosworth would be compared to a GTI or R. Or, better still, an UrQuattro compared to an R.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 15 October 2018, 13:35 »
The wife's R is three years old in January so I've been considering options. We borrowed out of a very low rate mortgage to pay the PCP off 18 months ago so now need to decide whether to start again with a new car (by which we pay the mortgage back) or keep the car and pay the mortgage back as if we were paying a car loan off.
As it's been 3 years nearly I've not really been keeping an eye on VW's prices. She has a 5 door manual but I think we'd go for a 5 door DSG this time. Off I go to Drive the Deal's website to find out such a car with metallic paint is £35485!!!! Chuff me, that's a lot. Admittedly, their discounted price is £29 595 but even so, it's a hell of a lot for a Golf. And judging by the waiting time thread elsewhere on here we'd have to wait months for it for the privilege. All this is assuming you can still order them with the Mk8 being imminent.
Much as we love the R that we have (it's been faultlessly reliable although the Lapis blue paint quality isn't great) I can't see me stumping up £30k for a Golf anymore. I know the R is a bit of a Q car but it looks a bit too bland for me, especially at that price and, as I've said before, it's got to the point where the VW badge simply isn't worth that sort of money anymore.
The wife won't have anything other than an R (I suggested a nearly new 335 Beemer but she was having none of that) so I reckon we will just pay this one off and keep it a good while. The point is, however, I can't see us buying another VW which is a shame. But ultimately, no Golf is worth that sort of money in my book. Can you imagine how much a 5 door Mk8 DSG R will be? I know everyone buys these on PCPs but they'll end up being hundreds of pounds a month more than what we paid last time (and that was with a low balloon payment so we paid a reasonable amount on our PCP).

I'd be really interested to know how much your current R was new (list price) 3 years ago??

The R with DSG is a hell of car in terms of useable, serious sports car performance, standard kit and a level of class that a sporty Focus or Megane just can't match.

I'm not sure what you are expecting that kind of car should cost??
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 15 October 2018, 13:46 »
Just been pleasantly surprised (more relieved, was hoping it would be this much, based on used forecourt prices) by p/x price offered against another new Polo GTI+ with broker discount for delivery around March next year.

Given the GFV of £15600 at 3 years when I bought it, to be £1900 up on that at 3 years and 5 months is excellent.

Dealer has stated they're prepared to give it an October value of £17500 and £300 off that value per month thereafter until it arrives. Assuming March 19 delivery with the car just under 4 years old, it'll have lost £3k a year (I paid £28k for it). Not bad at all.

Looks like we'll be fully DSG converted as still no news on the Polo gaining a manual box option as it was supposed to in September.

The coarseness of the R's manual box has put me off another, and VW seems to be doing all it can to stop manuals on performance models (emissions under test conditions to nlame, no doubt).
« Last Edit: 15 October 2018, 15:00 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.