Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245282 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #670 on: 23 May 2019, 22:18 »

As for the CSS spoiler, I really think the special edition stuff should stay on those models. Can look a bit daft on other versions. Suppose it’s all personal taste.

I think the CSS spoiler is pretty discreet. I hate the look of the Oettinger one that's offered as an option (or was).

Personally, don't mind mods that borrow from the look of a model like the CSS. I think where I draw the line is when people start reproducing the decals and pretending the car is something it's not.

Know what you mean. There’s a gtd on my daily commute with CS decals. Poor.

Although I have to call out my neighbour for good effort. He has a debadged C63 and put a 180D badge on it to poke fun at the wannabes. The people who you want to impress know and those that don't know, probably don't care!
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #671 on: 23 May 2019, 22:34 »

Although I have to call out my neighbour for good effort. He has a debadged C63 and put a 180D badge on it to poke fun at the wannabes. The people who you want to impress know and those that don't know, probably don't care!

Cheaper insurance?  :grin:
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #672 on: 23 May 2019, 22:50 »

Do the new badges count as a modification? If so, it could now be considered as a ‘modified’ car by the insurers, so they might have increased the cost of insurance! :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #673 on: 24 May 2019, 06:08 »

Do the new badges count as a modification? If so, it could now be considered as a ‘modified’ car by the insurers, so they might have increased the cost of insurance! :grin:

Nothing would surprise me with an insurance company. It was an OEM part though....  :whistle: :grin:

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #674 on: 24 May 2019, 08:22 »

Know this is a gimmick but be good to see the TCR puddle light logo when lights go down

I did a quick video for my wife which will show you the puddle light. You can download it here: https://app.box.com/s/mm2whhla5ib69kd41rwrdhsuk0lg1jjw

It's a 22.1MB .MOV file so just be warned on size if you're downloading on a mobile connection. It's set to expire on Saturday as I don't want Box hitting for bandwidth costs.

The TCR logo isn't a puddle light, it's actually a little gobo of the logo under the door. The puddle lights remain on the mirrors as before so it's not where I thought it was positioned. You still have the LED lights on the underside of the mirrors per the GTI PP etc.

I completely misunderstood that also, and as soon as off the company network will download and have a peek, thank you!!
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #675 on: 24 May 2019, 08:26 »
Given my parking conditions, particularly in winter, dark, tight spaces, high kerbs I have a few nicks on my alloys, and do not bother to refurbish as likely to nick them again at some point, so I just live with them and they not bad enough to spoil the effect, you have trouble seeing damage from any standing distance, I am not that clumsy, but upon close inspection they are obviously there to see.

One hope, with the Reifnitz being a matte finish is that I can do my own spot repairs periodically, so AGB do they look like that would be easy to do if had the correct paint pen?

Also, for those more connected, any idea as to what the code for the reifnitz matte black would be?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #676 on: 24 May 2019, 08:46 »
I completely misunderstood that also, and as soon as off the company network will download and have a peek, thank you!!

No, VW didn't explain it or document it very well. They didn't give enough context to the pictures so it was easy to assume that they had modified the wing mirror.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #677 on: 24 May 2019, 08:58 »
Given my parking conditions, particularly in winter, dark, tight spaces, high kerbs I have a few nicks on my alloys, and do not bother to refurbish as likely to nick them again at some point, so I just live with them and they not bad enough to spoil the effect, you have trouble seeing damage from any standing distance, I am not that clumsy, but upon close inspection they are obviously there to see.

One hope, with the Reifnitz being a matte finish is that I can do my own spot repairs periodically, so AGB do they look like that would be easy to do if had the correct paint pen?

Also, for those more connected, any idea as to what the code for the reifnitz matte black would be?

They don't look like a difficult wheel to repair and I must say, they're much better looking in the metal than they appear in photographs. I was going to go for another Pretoria wheel but I'm glad that I went with the newer wheel in the end.

Repair is easy, way better than diamond cut. The paint is a standard VAG finish (I have the code) but touching it in versus sanding/filling/priming and spraying is likely to look worse as you'll never match the surface profile with a pen/dabber.

Tyre choices can help minimise damage or take superficial brushes based on the profile of the sidewall. I need to look at the Pirellis on that basis actually - you've given me something to do later.  :smiley:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #678 on: 24 May 2019, 09:13 »
I thought there would be lots of chat about how great the car is not how easy or hard the wheels might be to refurb  :rolleyes: Get the car, drive it, enjoy it. You don't think I wonder how painful a hip replacement will be. You go cycling and play tennis and whatever else and enjoy doing it!!!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #679 on: 24 May 2019, 11:05 »
I thought there would be lots of chat about how great the car is not how easy or hard the wheels might be to refurb  :rolleyes: Get the car, drive it, enjoy it. You don't think I wonder how painful a hip replacement will be. You go cycling and play tennis and whatever else and enjoy doing it!!!

Jim, actually completely agree, and wrote something similar to this on the VWROC forum recently in that it was a long time ago since worried about how pristine the car looks as you simply drive yourself nuts doing so

In the coming 3 years of present R I have had someone rear end me (light, split bumper but not plate behind it) a lady reverse into the rear door as I watched (new door) and most recently a young girl reversed back into me, splitting the number plate surround - and me? spent most of the time comforting the very apologetic folk who caused the damage stating its only metal etc

Add in a few door dink and my self inflicted kerb damage and the R has been under a bit of fire in its time with me

But, the accidents are a bit freaky to have so many in one cycle, and the door dink are unavoidable and the kerb rash less avoidable if you see the conditions have to park in

The car itself is well looked after, use the correct fuel, ran it in, drive it sometimes as it should be driven but definitely nothing silly and if look over the cosmetics whoever gets it next will be getting a really sound car thats had no mechanical issues in its time.

I would not be fixing the reifnitz everytime have a minor rubbing, but maybe yearly it be nice to give them a tidy up, and again not showroom, but likely only visible to close inspection.

My car gets a collonite pre-winter and does not get washed till spring aside from a jet wash if too mucky, based on fact after a couple of days on mucky winter roads it makes all the effort pointless

So agree, I have freed myself from worrying about the car as after a wash it still looks great to walk up to even with the described imperfections, and do just enjoy the getting in the cabin and driving the car most and R has never let me down in that department

Do understand other like to really look after their cars, detail etc, and do get and respect that, its just with so many other things have to get around in my days a  more relaxed approach works best for me

If the car was to be a keeper, which the GTi TCR might, then likely at the 3 year mark I would pay for a full detail and restoration of any minor body work - till then, its going to be out there under fire in car parks and taking its war wounds :)