Author Topic: Leather vs Cloth Seats  (Read 16087 times)

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
Re: Leather vs Cloth Seats
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2018, 12:49 »
I do really like the standard tartan cloth in mine, and its easy to clean with a damp cloth, but if budget had allowed I would have definitely gone for the art velour.  I think that looks really smart  :smiley:
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2018, 13:42 »
It's a pity the tartan doesn't have the same leather bolsters and arm rests as AV. Then again, if it did probably fewer would spec AV and VW wouldn't make the mark up.....

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 04 September 2018, 15:42 »
you may also want to consider the wear on the side edge of the seat for cloth - the part where there's usually more contact between body and seat every time we enter/exit the car.  I loved the tartan in my previous car but it was ripped apart after 5 years and I had to saw it.  Apart from that, it's cloth for me any day of the year but then again it's 42 celcius today down here so a no brainer really
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline Briggs

• Just got here
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2018, 17:25 »
I had leather but hated it nearly asked to swap it with someone else’s car if you do get leather then I would have heated seats and tinted windows I prefer the tartan cloth just my opinion

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 29 September 2018, 09:37 »
I spec'd black leather on my Oct 66 TDI 2L  (my own car, not rented)
It remains completely faultless, not a scrape of sigh of wear anywhere.

I drove +5000km down to Spain and Portugal and never once did the seats feel hot or sticky and despite all the warnings from those without leather it isn't cold in the winter.
Any mud spats get wiped off with spit and tissue, likewise coffee spills, either way you cant see any signs once dry.
I had the car Pro Detailed by Envy from new which included some sort of leather treatment but what it was I haven't a clue.

It always seems that those who criticise leather are the ones who would like it but wont/cant afford it.

All my future cars will have leather, £2k well spent IMO.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2018, 09:45 by Mike J »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 29 September 2018, 10:05 »
It always seems that those who criticise leather are the ones who would like it but wont/cant afford it.

And that's the usual unsubstantiated statement made by those that can't accept others can have a differing opinion :rolleyes:

By the way, check your "leather" and see just how much of it actually is leather...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 29 September 2018, 11:01 »
MikeJ if you want to spend 2k of your own money on plastic fake material that's fine but don't assume anyone else can't afford it, it's probably they have more sense than to waste money on something that's not even real.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 29 September 2018, 12:19 »

All my future cars will have leather, £2k well spent IMO.

So presumably you ticked every option when you ordered yours? Or were there options you didn't pick because you didn't think they were worth paying for?

We all like different things, and if someone chooses differently to you, don't assume it's because of affordability. More likely it's a case of different priorities.
7.5 GTD

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2018, 22:04 »
Had my GTi PP for over 4.5 years, 36K miles, 2 kids, 1 husband. After all the school runs, children taxi service work, and a few holidays up & down the country....Tartan seats look as good as new. And I still love them. Had leather seats before, too cold (initially) in winter, too hot in Summer (& legs stick to it if your wearing shorts or a skirt!!!).
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 30 September 2018, 10:37 »

I could have afforded it, it's just sh!t :whistle: