Author Topic: GTi or R  (Read 15769 times)

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: GTi or R
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2018, 06:52 »
GTI is cheaper to insure, better on fuel and cheaper to service = cash saving = more time in the air = no brainer

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2018, 09:03 »
I'd be looking one of vast amount of 2018 year models currently on AT and grabbing a bargain.

GTI Manual from £24k - 12 to choose from
GTI Performance manual from £24k - 25 to choose from
R from £26k - 133 to choose from
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2018, 10:24 »
What’s AT??
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2018, 10:33 »
What’s AT??

Just short for AutoTrader
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2018, 10:46 »
Ah, thanks. These are not new unregistered ones then....
I wonder why there are so many 2018s on the mkt? Are they pre-regs being moved on by dealers?
If so, have sales of performance Golfs crashed?
And has the R had a fall from grace? There certainly seem to be a lot more used Rs for sale.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 August 2018, 11:16 »
Ah, thanks. These are not new unregistered ones then....
I wonder why there are so many 2018s on the mkt?

The 2018 cars advertised as new on Autotrader have to be registered before September if they’re not WLTP compliant (I think the actual date for registering pre-WLTP compliant cars is 15th August), so a big push by dealers to get these shifted. Probably some decent bargains to be had in view of the 15th August deadline.

Some dealers may have cars in stock that aren’t WLTP compliant but have registered them already in anticipation they won’t have sold them before 15th August. So there’s likely to be quite a few new, pre-registered cars for sale on dealer forecourts during the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 11:43 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2018, 11:35 »
I am totally biased but of an age that fuel economy, servicing costs don't come into it.
I've said it before on this forum the Mk7.5 R is nothing short of sensational. And IMO an absolute steal.
Then I got mine at 70 years of age having owned 50 plus cars from a Mini van '63 to 2002 Turbo lhd! 911E and everything in between, all bought with cash. HP was a joke. Then there was no peer pressure so to speak.
Most of you guys are spoilt for choice with PCP's
My advice to OP (age?) get what you can afford all good things come to those who wait. And always keep some cash in reserve.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2018, 12:15 »
:wink:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2018, 13:01 »
My wife likes the DSG Golf R...
So you are getting a Golf R then! :evil:

With the ACC (adaptive cruise control) fitted as standard - I cannot recommend the DSG enough. They work brilliantly together and make driving much more relaxing.

I also had to decide between the GTI and R. I made a long list of pros and cons and settled on the GTI(spec below). It just ticked more boxes for me.

3 things to be aware of with the R. It has a smaller boot. It has a much larger turning circle. Many people have noticed that it has better ride comfort in back to back tests with the standard GTI suspension.

1 thing to be aware of with the GTI. It can suffer from tramping/wheel hop. Especially in the wet with poor tyres. You may have experienced this with the GTD. I did with my GTD. The GTI PP (performance pack) ELSD (electronic limited slip differential) does not completely eliminate tramping. Though it is much less of an issue.

There are people who will try and tell you that the Golf R is much better in poor weather. They are partly right. The Golf R with four wheel drive will accelerate much better when traction is an issue. However, four wheel drive does little to help with cornering and does nothing to help with braking the car. Ultimately grip comes from your tyres and not your drive system.

Two great cars whatever you both decide.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2018, 13:23 »
Having had a R 3 door, R estate and still having a R door I would got for the GTI PP.

I get why people like the R, they are very easy to drive quickly with out much talent and safe (which is why my wife loves it), you then drive something that is a bit more engaging and realise its missing that something.

The Up GTI is a breath of fresh air after boRedom, huge fun, a chassis where you can decide how it handles and running costs halved over night.

Edition 40 Clubsport for me is the pick of the crop.