Author Topic: Well, the GTI is going :(  (Read 4304 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Well, the GTI is going :(
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2018, 10:41 »
The police stopped handling lost property in a meaningful way a long time ago now - just more budget cuts.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 01 August 2018, 10:43 »
I think you are all being rather unfair on the police. The simple fact is they don't have the man power they had so things like this (lost/stolen) keys just aren't going to be a priority. They are doing an incredibly difficult job in increasingly difficult circumstances. Lets all be a bit more supportive.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 01 August 2018, 10:49 »
fredgroves - this is more than 'lost property'. The fact that 2 keys were found together from luxury marques indicates organised crime. Sure the local plod won't be interested in lost keys but if they find their way back to their rightful owners the location of where they were found and when, and that they were together, plus the other bits with them might help an on going investigation.

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2018, 10:50 »
Similar thing happened to a friend of mine, he has a golf r estate and has been broken into three times, the last time he was in bed and heard the thieves on his landing, he chased them off but was obviously shaken up. His golf Was on a lease deal and it cost him a lot of money to walk away from the deal and hand the car back but at least he sleeps easier.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2018, 11:40 »
I think you are all being rather unfair on the police. The simple fact is they don't have the man power they had so things like this (lost/stolen) keys just aren't going to be a priority. They are doing an incredibly difficult job in increasingly difficult circumstances. Lets all be a bit more supportive.

I fully agree.

Asked to do more and more new things (some very complex) and with less and less money. Something has to give even if they themselves don't want to back off. The decision is a political one, not one made by the guys on the street who in every case I've ever met have always just wanted to solve crime and make society better.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2018, 11:46 »
How much would it cost to do a search on their data base to see if any reported break ins had certain items taken?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2018, 12:04 »
thats why I have a small tag on my keys with my mobile number.

A little off topic, but somewhat related. I was cycling at the weekend and came across a bunch of keys on the road, miles from anywhere. There was a Porsche and BWM key, a mortice lock key, what looked like a garage door key and one of those internet back access keypad things. When I got home I rang 101 to see if they would send someone round to collect them and take some details. They said they wouldn't do that, but I could make a 50 mile round trip to the station and drop them off if I wanted. They would be kept in a drawer, then if not claimed in 28 days, binned. If I wanted to keep them and someone reported them missing, they would put them in touch with me.

Now I don't no about you, but keys like that don't end up on the road in the middle of nowhere without good reason. The likeliest being they were stolen in a break in, but the cars not taken at the time. I'm sure that Porsche and BMW are able to extract owners data from the keys, so even tho' they shouldn't tell me who they belong to, the police ought to be able to find out easily. Someone, somewhere is missing these keys but the police don't seem to be bothered about trying to put 2 and 2 together.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2018, 12:08 »
How much would it cost to do a search on their data base to see if any reported break ins had certain items taken?

The cost is not the issue, it's man power and priorities. This will be one of 10s if not 100's of thousands of seemingly insignificant reports they will get a year. There just isn't the capability to look at everything as much as you might like them to. Sad, but true. Think about things like the recent visit by Trump. Police forces will have been shunted around the country and stretched to the max to cover that. Cancelled rest days, cancelled leave. Then the ongoing issues around the poisonings. Huge pressure there too. Plus how many murders have there been in London alone this year? Ongoing in depth investigations into potential terrorist plots? The list is truly endless but the resources aren't.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2018, 19:07 »
How long would it take an officer to go to the local BMW garage and hand the keys in and ask for the owners info as they wont /shouldn't give details to Dubber .?I wouldn't think to long and it may help find the scroates who pinched  the car.

Cossiegaz So sorry to hear about this , but you and family are ok which is the priority.
Did your neighbours not do anything when the alarm went off ?

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2018, 23:01 »
Thanks for the kind words folks  :smiley:

It's not all doom and gloom, I always try to put a positive spin on things where I can. Ok so I've had to give up a nice car which I really liked and am now driving something nasty to drive in comparison to my Golf (honestly my work van feels like a damn missile compared to the Leon! Lol!) but I've still got my Sapphire Cossie in the garage and with no more monthly payment to fork out it means my new engine build should come on a bit quicker  :cool:

Pinky1959 - my next door neighbour heard the alarm as soon as it went off and went straight out into her back garden, looked over the fence and saw my living room window smashed to bits and called the police straightaway. My neighbours 2 doors up got a good look at the 2 guys that broke in as they saw them run
out of my driveway and get into a BMW 135i before flying down the road like lunatics. The police found the BMW a few miles away crashed and abandoned (obviously their driving skills are about as good as their morals) and turns out the BMW was also stolen and on false plates so obviously car thieves. Bastards  :angry:

To be fair to the police, according to my neighbour who called them, they were at my house in minutes so can't complain at that. They missed the thieves by about 4 minutes which is frustrating but hey ho. They were really helpful but am I confident they'll catch them? No not really, scumbags always seem to get away with what they do  :angry: I never wish bad things on people but I honestly hope the scumbags die a slow, nasty and agonising death!  :angry: