Author Topic: My very brief(ish) MK7.5 review (from the point of view of a diesel owner)  (Read 8432 times)

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
I had no idea what a PedalBox was. Now I do. Very interesting alternative to a remap or tuning box. Thanks for the recommendation.

I will drive the GTI PP for while before making an decision on mods like a PedalBox. As I do expect a significant performance increase over my 1.4 A4; I think I need to take it easy as I get used to a 245 ps car.

Counter-intuitively, the current A4 1.4 is actually very slightly lighter than the Golf GTI (1,320 kg vs 1,327 kg).

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
Ok so what exactly does a pedal box do..and how much are they etc ??

Thanks..
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
A pedal box changes the throttle response of your car and has a number of different settings which allow you to tailor it to your liking. As the throttle is controlled via wire, the box interupts the signal and changes it to make the car respond to less input. In practice it means putting you foot down less for the same amount of acceleration, but that doesn't do it justice. Although it adds no power to the car, it makes the driving expirence much more enjoyable, and does away with the dead area at the start of the peadal's travel. DTUK's version is the most popular and are around £200. They are also very simple to install.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Watts

• Forum addict

Thanks..

A rather lengthy thread on the subject but you'll soon get the idea...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278239.0
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict

Thanks..

This shows you how they fit to the pedal.  This is the older style pedal box as there’s now pedal box plus which would be the one to go for.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276517.0

Discount code RF80 usually works on the DTUK website unless there’s already a deal on.

It’s the single best value for money mod you can do to your performance golf.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
If you want to roughly know how it will feel.... set your car to normal engine mode, have a drive. Then set the engine mode to sport..... thats the same idea - its a different fly by wire throttle mapping.

The pedal box gives you more granular control though, including effects beyond OEM "sport" mode.

Don't forget insurers can get sh*tty about it though and refuse to cover you with it.... and you should declare it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
It's been said numerous times on here that new cars from the factory appear to be restricted until 1000kms have been done and then the engine loosens up. And I must be the only one that thinks a pedal box is a waste of money  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
It's been said numerous times on here that new cars from the factory appear to be restricted until 1000kms have been done and then the engine loosens up. And I must be the only one that thinks a pedal box is a waste of money  :whistle:

It looks like we agree on something mcmaddy :grin:

I bought one and had a play around with it and decided that it wasn’t for me. It has plenty of great reviews though so I would recommend people to buy it, try it and then return it if not happy. It does what it says on the tin but I just think it’s pricey for what it is.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
 :grin: :grin:👍 only issue people will have is trying to get a full refund  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
I know the engine is a little different to the R but when I collected mine and gave it a gentle run in for the first 300/400 miles you could really feel that the car wanted to go.

The way it starts to rev out once the boost comes on is crazy. I guess the larger turbo must help. The R engine really is a joy even from low revs.

I wonder how the PP engine feels? Does it have a bigger turbo to the non PP?
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints