Author Topic: Keyless car hacking  (Read 22175 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Keyless car hacking
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2017, 09:36 »
I bought a pair of Faraday bags on Amazon (link below) and leave the keys in them when in the house.
They seem to be overpriced but are good quality.
Hard to know which ones are good and which ones are junk on Amazon or eBay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JNWH83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_af87zbT3S7PVT

£30 for a bag with a bit of tinfoil in the lining,  :rolleyes:

On another matter did I tell you about my uncle in Africa who has been left $40,000,000 and needs an account to hold the money in?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2017, 09:39 »
I bought a pair of Faraday bags on Amazon (link below) and leave the keys in them when in the house.

Just to repeat myself.... the threat isn't just in the house... it can happen in a car park just as easily.

So, if you have to put your keyless fob in a bag that is sealed and then take it out to use it... haven't you just effectively stopped using keyless entry? Its actually easier to hit the blipper on the standard remote lol.

How is the threat the same in a car park?

The reason people put them in the bags at home is so that "Signal repeaters" can't pick up the signal from the key and re-transmit them to the car. Signal repeaters have limited range. I somehow doubt that (unless they're tailing you, which I'd be more worried about) they'll be able to re-transmit a signal from when you're walking round the shops back to the car park to open and start your car.

Unless I'm not seeing a further 'hidden danger' with walking round with the keys to my car in my pocket.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 25 October 2017, 10:13 »

Just to repeat myself.... the threat isn't just in the house... it can happen in a car park just as easily.

So, if you have to put your keyless fob in a bag that is sealed and then take it out to use it... haven't you just effectively stopped using keyless entry? Its actually easier to hit the blipper on the standard remote lol.

The reason people put them in the bags at home is so that "Signal repeaters" can't pick up the signal from the key and re-transmit them to the car. Signal repeaters have limited range. I somehow doubt that (unless they're tailing you, which I'd be more worried about) they'll be able to re-transmit a signal from when you're walking round the shops back to the car park to open and start your car.

Unless I'm not seeing a further 'hidden danger' with walking round with the keys to my car in my pocket.

Because whilst you're stood at the ticket machine paying your parking, they are stealing your car using the same principles of signal boosting.
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 25 October 2017, 10:34 »

Watch this video on this link (that I posted previously):

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/

Instead of a shop, imagine its a car park.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 25 October 2017, 11:02 »
They seem to be overpriced but are good quality.
Hard to know which ones are good and which ones are junk on Amazon or eBay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JNWH83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_af87zbT3S7PVT

£30 for a bag with a bit of tinfoil in the lining,  :rolleyes:

On another matter did I tell you about my uncle in Africa who has been left $40,000,000 and needs an account to hold the money in?

:grin: :grin:
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 25 October 2017, 11:17 »
So it is defeating the whole idea of easy access to your car when you need to mess around taking it out of a foil lined baggy to get in the car when others just need to press a button. :whistle: :grin:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #26 on: 25 October 2017, 11:37 »

Because whilst you're stood at the ticket machine paying your parking, they are stealing your car using the same principles of signal boosting.

Didn't think of that. That said, I never leave the golf in pay and displays. The one's I use are all pay at machine before you get back to your car
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #27 on: 25 October 2017, 11:50 »
So it is defeating the whole idea of easy access to your car when you need to mess around taking it out of a foil lined baggy to get in the car when others just need to press a button. :whistle: :grin:

Yep :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 25 October 2017, 17:40 »

Just a bit.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 25 October 2017, 17:50 »
Here is how I roll these days, total cost feck all.