Author Topic: Cadiz vs Santiago vs Pretoria Weight in kg?  (Read 10892 times)

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
Re: Cadiz vs Santiago vs Pretoria Weight in kg?
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2017, 00:12 »
I can see the logic and you might be correct, but you can buy a decent set of say Cadiz with tyres for under £700 and either sell your stock set or keep them as spare or keep them for them you finally sell.....so it could cost you almost nothing and you could gain 4x 2kg...which isnt much admittedly but because its off the wheels it has a bigger than expected effect on mpg.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2017, 07:30 »
You'd probably be better off strictly controlling extra junk that you carry in the car. Remove everything from the boot,  the glove box and maybe replace the spare with an inflation kit.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2017, 08:09 »
I'm not sure I really understand why you would want to do this, other than for cosmetic reasons. Replacing alloys is a waste of money unless you really don't like your current alloys.

Which Golf is it you drive?

To a purist like me, if you have Cadiz alloys on anything other than a Golf R, it will look wrong. My wife noticed me frowning at a car at the weekend and asked me what was wrong. I replied - that car is not an R. As we got closer I realised it was an R LINE :rolleyes: In our local seaside town at the weekend, I often find myself playing a game of 'what Golf is it really?' It amazes me the length some people will go to to make their cars look like a performance Golf.

If fuel economy is you main concern then driving mode and driving style will have a much bigger impact. Though if you have a GTI or Golf R then you really bought the wrong car. Thought for the performance they offer the fuel economy is reasonable. Even the GTD can be uneconomical in certain conditions - short journeys, sport mode, heavy right foot.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2017, 08:18 »
Weight difference of the wheels will equate to no notable difference in performance in a heavy road car.
Go for the wheels that you think make it look the best.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2017, 08:24 »
I want something that looks good but doesn't sacrifice economy
... ahhhh... suddenly it becomes clear...

... alloys will have a negligible effect on economy.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2017, 08:28 »
We may be able to provide better advice if you could let us know which variant of the Golf it is that you have, and which wheels are currently on it.

As Daz says, if you put wheels on that don't really suit the car this could defeat the purpose of swapping. It may not cost too much now, but have you thought about how easy it will be to sell on? Your taste may not be the same as the majority, and in my experience most people generally prefer to buy cars that haven't been tinkered with or that have non standard parts on. If it's fuel economy and saving money you're most concerned about it may be best to stick with what you have and do the basic things right such as regularly check tyre pressures, driving conservatively etc.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2017, 08:37 »
I can see the logic and you might be correct, but you can buy a decent set of say Cadiz with tyres for under £700 and either sell your stock set or keep them as spare or keep them for them you finally sell.....so it could cost you almost nothing and you could gain 4x 2kg...which isnt much admittedly but because its off the wheels it has a bigger than expected effect on mpg.

Also bear in mind that you need to declare to your insurer that you've changed your wheels, as this is a modification. They may charge you an additional premium for the modification; if they do, this would offset (at least in part) any negligible economy savings you might gain.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2017, 08:52 »
hi thanks. I was thinking of with the "additional" effects of rotational mass and unsprung mass The following site claims weight savings are multiplied by 5 times (when saved in wheels) https://magnesiumwheels.com/roi.html. However I agree effects are likely to be very small, I could only find one real world study of heavy vs light wheels on fuel economy and the effect was 0.5mpg. https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=108

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2017, 08:57 »
Yes, I believe 0.5mpg is about right...

As I said, just putting your car on a diet and chucking out the junk we all carry probably adds to the same amount. Dumping the spare wheel probably alone is the same amount of weight!

I used to be into sports bikes as a younger man and people I know used to spend loads of money on weight reduction parts - titanium/carbon fibre this that and the other... I suggested instead removing keys, wallets etc from your pockets and a little diet would save more weight and cost less :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2017, 09:14 »
deleted
« Last Edit: 20 July 2017, 09:18 by Daz Auto »