Author Topic: Full House!  (Read 31348 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Full House!
« Reply #100 on: 19 January 2019, 08:46 »
You'll be publishing your memoirs next. Put me down for a copy

Get in the queue!
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #101 on: 19 January 2019, 09:12 »
Great write up Exonian, mirrors my thoughts on CS ownership perfectly.

Being of similar age and also mines just getting its 2yr service as we speak....or type....I've got 4750 on clock so not exactly day to day usage but more month to month!  :laugh: Owning this is probably longest I've had one for (until previous jobs motorway muncher arrived) but I still love it as much now and hand on heart cannot think of what I'd swap for.

Unlike you though this is my first Gti having wanted one since the MK1, maybe I'll be tempted when the new MK8 arrives....will I find a use for 10 gears??!   :tongue:

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #102 on: 19 January 2019, 10:32 »
Yes Exonian, great write up, I wouldn't expect anything less!  My CS is 21 months old and has only done 3,700 miles - I usually do about 2,500 miles a year but I've taken badly to bringing it out in bad weather so use the wife's T roc instead! 

Anyhow, like you, I'm still very happy with it and have no intention of parting with it yet - I spec'd the car from new so it has all the extras on it that I wanted, including a 5 year warranty.  The car is rare and special and the novelty of owning it still hasn't worn off. 

Since the CS was released I've only seen one other on the road and the exclusivity of it was one of the reasons I bought it to replace my 7R (as well as having owned the 20, 25 30 and 35 editions so it would have been rude not to have bought the 40th!!).  In fact the warranty will be just about running out when the 45th edition will be released, so maybe that will be my next car!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #103 on: 19 January 2019, 22:53 »
Thanks for all the positive comments.  :smiley:
It means a lot.

I’m glad I’m not alone in the low mileage use of the Clubsport, I feel less guilty about my months of having it locked away now  :grin:

Those of you awaiting my memoirs  :laugh: I’m afraid it would be a very boring read, it wouldn’t win any hearts and minds but might win awards for curing insomnia! I think my headstone will read “here lies Andrew, he gazed at his navel a lot but achieved little”  :grin:

I wonder how the TCR will stack up against the Ed40.
To my eyes the TCR gains quite a few things the Ed40 lacks but there’s something important missing. Time will tell. Both will herald the end of an era.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 20 January 2019, 20:52 »
Personally, I don’t think the TCR will be as special as the ed40. The anniversary models just have something extra for me. The ed40 being a great example of these. I would have loved an ed40 but the timing wasn’t right and when I found a really good one it went before I could see it. First world problems eh?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #105 on: 20 January 2019, 21:16 »
Can’t help feeling all these low mileage CS’s are a bit of a waste. The Golf is an everyday car. Always has been, always will be. CS surely must be crying out to be driven. Everywhere! Could half understand it with a CSS as can imagine someone buying that a 2nd or 3rd fun car for track days.

Got a mate with a GT4 with less than 500 Miles on. One of the best modern Porsche’s sat doing not much  :rolleyes:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #106 on: 20 January 2019, 21:33 »
To even it out, mine has over 22,000 on it as I do 350 fun miles a week :-)
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 20 January 2019, 21:44 »

Good man Andy!  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #108 on: 21 January 2019, 10:13 »

That's more like it! You have a decent car, drive it!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #109 on: 23 January 2019, 16:56 »

:cool: :afro:

Can’t help feeling all these low mileage CS’s are a bit of a waste. The Golf is an everyday car. Always has been, always will be. CS surely must be crying out to be driven. Everywhere! Could half understand it with a CSS as can imagine someone buying that a 2nd or 3rd fun car for track days.

Got a mate with a GT4 with less than 500 Miles on. One of the best modern Porsche’s sat doing not much  :rolleyes:

It is a waste of a good car but it’s the type of car that is bought as a Sunday Best or for occasional use in the main. Same as a Focus RS is often bought by die hard fast Ford fans but not used every day.

It depends on how the car fits in the household too. Not everyone uses a car for business or gets a business allowance. Many of us finance and run it fully privately and don’t cover massive mileage full stop but still need a 5 door practical hatch occasionally. To me a Clubsport is the perfect blend of sports car agility and performance but still does family chores perfectly. Mine has had its back seats folded flat for three months and is a very quick mobile skip transporting flat pack from city to coast every week!
In hindsight I should have bought a CSS but at the time they were released I was being aimed by my employer toward a role that involved travelling all over the country so my R would have been the perfect car for the job. Alas, life changes by the month, I dodged that job but things have moved on and on again since!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner