Author Topic: high level brake light cracked stopped working advice please  (Read 5119 times)

Offline kane1210

• Here all the time
Hey guys hope were all enjoying our brief summer!

Noticed a small crack in my high level brake light last week and some condensation.
The unit has now stopped working completely  :cry: Went to see the divs at service and enquired about warranty as I dont have a clue how it cracked, obviously they dismissed that and said its been damaged fair enough so next step....

You cant just clip out the unit and replace the whole spoiler has to come off that means possible paint work and a bill approaching 500 english pounds mega lols!

Any body had to deal with this?! Any advice would be grately appreciated

Ben

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Anyone with ETKA help with this? A blown apart parts drawing might confirm this?

Offline mike.

• I live here
The spoiler doesn't need removed on the MK6.

I have put a HOW TO in the MK6 maintenance + info section HERE

If you look under the brake light you should see the two release clips on either side of the light.

The old part number 5K6 945 087 B was superseded on 01/02/13 by 5K6 945 087 C and is £35.23 inc vat.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Removing and installing additional brake light bulb -M25-, Golf GTI from 06/2009
Note   Failure of LEDs in additional brake lights:
  • The individual LEDs (light-emitting diodes) in the additional brake lights are comprised in groups of four LEDs and are supplied with current in groups.
  • The additional brake light is designed in such a way that the legal requirements are still met in the event that one LED group fails.
  • If a further LED group fails, these requirements are no longer met according to the legislator.
  • Due to the failure of one LED group, the intact LEDs are placed under increased strain; it must be anticipated that further LED groups will soon fail.
  • If more than four individual LEDs in the additional brake light have failed, the additional brake light must be renewed (repair measure).

Removing:

–   Switch off ignition and all electrical consumers and remove ignition key.
–   Insert a suitable plain slot screwdriver in the opening under the additional brake light bulb -M25-.
–   Swing screwdriver in direction of -arrow- and pull retaining clip -1- downwards out of fastener.
–   Repeat this procedure on the second retaining clip of additional brake light bulb -M25-.
–   Carefully take additional brake light bulb -M25--2- backwards out of roof spoiler, taking connected wiring length into consideration.
 –  Carefully pull rubber seal -1- out of installation hole.
–   Release and disconnect connector -2-.
–   Remove additional brake light bulb -M25-.

Installing:
Installation is carried out in the reverse order. When installing observe the following:
  NoteWhen installing roof spoiler, ensure that rubber seal -1- is seated correctly between wiring harness, additional brake light bulb -M25- and body.
–   After pushing in retaining clips, check if additional brake light bulb -M25- is securely engaged into roof spoiler.
–   Perform functional check of additional brake light bulb -M25-.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
I was just... to slow.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline mike.

• I live here
LOL... Snap  :grin:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline kane1210

• Here all the time
Why have vw advised on the removal of the whole spoiler?!

Offline Philip James

• Not said much yet
^^^ They probably think it's the same design as the Mk5.
Just found the perfect GTi...

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here

Douche bags.

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here

Douche bags.

+1!