Author Topic: BP Ultimate Diesel  (Read 15235 times)

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
Re: BP Ultimate Diesel
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2014, 11:00 »
Yep, I've just been using any old fuel now that I'm using the Millers  :smiley:  I've found the effect is noticeable quite quickly i.e. within 10 - 20 miles of adding it.  None of this having to wait 2 - 3 tank fulls etc.

The centrifuge tubes looking interesting.  How are you decanting into them from the 5L can?

Are you happy with the performance of yours now?  Mines now got 9k on it and is nicely loosened up... and with the Millers it's become a real hoot.  Although I keep thinking a tuning box would be the icing on the cake!
Tornado Red GTD ordered 25th April, confirmed BW34. Built sometime in BW36, now in the UK and delivered 27/09 :-)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2014, 11:11 »
The centrifuge tubes are because the missus can get them from work, they’re 50mL (handy for a normal measure), they’re graduated, got quite a wide opening, a good seal, and most importantly – the Millers doesn’t rot them like it does with the polystyrene based plastics (your typical hard/brittle plastic containers that break like glass when hit – Millers will eat right through those like Acetone.

The Can has an extendable plastic nozzle which you pull out by the cap and it’s about ¾” diameter, so not too bad for pouring into the tubes which are just over 1” wide, you get a slight drip down the nozzle (we are talking 3 drops, not a lot).

The performance is much closer to expectations since ditching the V-power for normal diesel and dosing with Millers – still doesn’t feel any faster than the Scirocco, I do think it was punching well above its weight. Tuning box (DTUK) is a real possibility, the insurance implications are looking very favourable and I’ve got the money for the box this month after doing some good ebay trading. If they’re open tomorrow I may well take a look as I’ll be within 10 miles of their place tomorrow morning. 
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2014, 13:06 »
Not long until winter ends and we will see an MPG gain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel

:smiley:

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline NumberedJester

• Not said much yet
  • Oh Hello!
« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2014, 17:23 »
BP DMATE (Ultimate Diesel) is not designed to give any major increase in performance at all.

The additives used are for engine protection/longevity as opposed to brute power, better MPG comes with a cleaner more efficient engine. A small increase in power can possibly result from the fact the additive is Exothermic, which basically means it can go boom easily.  Probably why the raw additive is kept in buried tanks.  :smiley:

Been using it in my MK5 GT TDi for about 3 years and plan to use it in my MK7 GTD when it arrives.

How much extra per litre is it? Might be better off using Millers Ecomax which does the same as premium fuel additives - Cetane boosting/detergents/lubricity enhancers, for a 60p cost per tank if you buy a 5L can of it - adds 1.2p/L to the cost of fuel.

It really depends on the station and area, I think here in Norn Iron its 4-5ppl more than standard.

"In any case, you can certainly tell the difference without it. When I filled up with Jet yesterday (because I knew I didn’t have enough diesel  to get me home after work), I didn’t have any Millers with me (I usually have 2 polypropylene 50mL graduated centrifuge tubes with the stuff in the boot, kept in a small black bag because the stuff is light-sensitive), and the car felt (comparatively) like a sluggish bag of spanners (it’s not that bad, but you can tell the difference) and I only got 43mpg with no regenning. Put my 100mL in when I got home last night, the stuff has mixed overnight, and this morning the car felt far better and did 45mpg on the way to work."

If thats a general warning and not a quality warning on the packaging I would definitely be making sure it stays away from sun light and heat sources. The raw additives that we have are buried because if the temperature of the liquid starts increasing it will reach a point that the exothermic reaction starts and it will begin to generate its own heat. Once at that point theres only one outcome and that is generally not very good. Not 100% sure of the flash point, but you dont want to be near any sort of quantity of it when that happens. I definitely wouldnt be keeping it in the car. :undecided:

Ordered GTD, Tornado Red 27/09/13

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2014, 18:00 »
Numbered Jester:When I said "kept in the car" I meant literally pouring some into the tubes just before my journey that would see me fill up (not that clear on my part), or get some made up and put in the car the night before the morning I would be filling up. The black bag is as much for making sure the stinky stuff is contained as for photosensitivity. Not sure why I make it a black bag. The stuff isn't that unstable - it'd probably be fine for days without degradation.

The can lists it as a pretty strong irritant and nothing more, it's not particularly volatile - I suppose it has to be comparably stable to diesel otherwise you'd get it combusting way before the diesel in the compression stroke and causing real problems. I only know it's light sensitive because someone on Amazon (looking at the reviews when I was shopping around) moaned they got their 5L in a can (as it came for me) instead of a plastic bottle (as pictured in the style of a 5L plastic oil bottle) and the manufacturer said it was to protect the product from light.

Offline NumberedJester

• Not said much yet
  • Oh Hello!
« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2014, 18:07 »
Haha, good job on that. Not that it was ever going to be as ropey to work with as the raw stuff.

To give an idea about the raw additive we use. I think theres about 1.3L of it injected into a 7500L truck compartment.

Mind you, some time later this year the additive is changing to some "green" version. Probably to keep the eco-mentalists happy.
Ordered GTD, Tornado Red 27/09/13

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2014, 18:14 »
NumberedJester: Millers (and probably all the equivalents) is massively toxic to aquatic life, so they're probably doing something to improve that with the new version.

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 08 March 2014, 08:45 »
As I've run out of Millers my last couple of tanks have been on standard BP.  The car feels noticeably more lethargic and less smooth in comparison.

I've just ordered 5L from Wilco Direct using a 10% voucher code from http://www.dontpayfull.com/at/wilcodirect.co.uk. £62.99 inc free delivery seems pretty good as that makes it about half the price of the 500ml bottles :smiley:
Tornado Red GTD ordered 25th April, confirmed BW34. Built sometime in BW36, now in the UK and delivered 27/09 :-)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 08 March 2014, 10:24 »
As I've run out of Millers my last couple of tanks have been on standard BP.  The car feels noticeably more lethargic and less smooth in comparison.

I've just ordered 5L from Wilco Direct using a 10% voucher code from http://www.dontpayfull.com/at/wilcodirect.co.uk. £62.99 inc free delivery seems pretty good as that makes it about half the price of the 500ml bottles :smiley:

Andy: That's as good as an offer as i've seen recently - 5L is by far the cheapest way to go. You can definitely feel the difference without it.

Filled up from almost empty last night and didn't have any Millers to put in until I got home. The difference is apparent. I have been adding 100mL to a tank in the winter, where ambient temp is usually between 0 and 5C, in the Summer it'll probably be 50mL, and yesterday I added 80mL just because it has warmed up a bit recently.

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 03 April 2014, 09:49 »
I never looked into Millers until reading this thread and you guys have now convinced me to go and buy a bottle!