Author Topic: Cabrio weather  (Read 5172 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Cabrio weather
« on: 18 April 2003, 17:23 »
I can't believe we have weather like this and my cabrio is still in the garage >:(
Won't be long though, engine is in now and I'm currently cleaning the gearbox. Just got to replace all the seals (already purchased) and I'll be away.......can't wait  ;D
Trouble is they forecast its going to get much colder and its going to rain by Sunday.........typical  :(
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

ows

Re: Cabrio weather
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2003, 17:43 »
Hang in there mate we still have a few more months of long evenings and great driving conditions..

At least you can take the audi out for a spin at the moment, im stuck with being a passenger  :'( and this is just after ive gotta lift from a mate with a 51 reg scooby preza wrx...

Maybe ill need the diagrams for a 20v turbo lump instead  :D

Take it steady

Ows

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2003, 21:58 »
Cheers 'Ows', yeah the Audi's running well, now that I've got the radiator sorted.
At work now but managed to get the gearbox all cleaned up......its all nice and shiney now......don't think I have ever seen one so clean.
Tomorrow I plan to replace the differential output seals, the main shaft seal and the pushrod seal and bush. Then it'll be ready to go in.....not long now.  :)

A9WYN

« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2003, 01:04 »
here in S.WALES been using my cabriolet every day for the last two weeks weather has been great but the last few days it,s been superb. haven,t used the TTC for at least ten days....long may it last  8)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2003, 22:32 »
Mk2 engine and gearbox now fitted to the cabriolet. Just got to finish installing everything and connecting everything up........nearly there.  ;D

'a9wyn', have you still got the original exhaust manifold/downpipe fitted? Only I'm looking to upgrade mine in the future with maybe a 4 into 2 manifold as per the earlier Mk1 GTI's and the Mk2's. I would have tried it sooner but the Mk2 exhaust manifold that I have is cracked.

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2003, 23:24 »
changed the downpipe 3years ago had one fited by my local tyre and exhaust centre had problems with it blowing after about a week found the weld had cracked rather than fit a replacement seeing the hastle they had fitting the first one i agreed for them to weld up the replacement,since then (touch wood) no problems..as regards to the exhaust system had a genuine original system fitted by my local vw dealers a year ago they had to do a dealer search for the centre box and found one. ?the total cost of the exhaust system supplied and fitted was cheaper than KWIK-FIT was for a 'CRAP' after market one....the exhaust manifold is the original!!  ?
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2003, 22:41 »
I've refitted the manifold and downpipe for the moment so that I can get it up and running. I too had to weld the downpipe.........right at the top where it splits into 2.
I've read somewhere that going to a 4 into 2 manifold instead of the 4 into 1 is worth about 5 BHP. Definately a mod I'm going to look into doing.  

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2003, 23:41 »
richandhazel....hope youv'e put lots of anti-seize compound on the downpipe to manifold attaching studs i would hate to hear you've sheared one when removing your downpipe..did you refit the heatsheilds around the downpipe because the garage that changed my downpipe didn't refit mine because they broke the studs lucky icould repair them because their an obsolete part now from vw, the garage response was "you don't need them anyway"...bull***t......WYN

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2003, 23:12 »
richandhazel....hope youv'e put lots of anti-seize compound on the downpipe to manifold attaching studs i would hate to hear you've sheared one when removing your downpipe..did you refit the heatsheilds around the downpipe because the garage that changed my downpipe didn't refit mine because they broke the studs lucky icould repair them because their an obsolete part now from vw, the garage response was "you don't need them anyway"...bull***t......WYN

Yep, I've applied loads of anti-sieze compound, I get it free from work  ;)
Mine was all in pretty good nick when I went to take it all off, in that everything undid without drama's.
I have now managed to get hold of a good Mk2 manifold (thanks to Ben aka Project87) and downpipe. Once I have the car up and running I'll see whether I can get them to fit and then I'll have a downpipe back exhaust system  fabricated by 'powerflow'  ;D

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
:DRe: Cabrio weather
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2003, 02:56 »
All the engine and gearbox side of things are done.  ;D
Changed the engine oil and put some cheap oil in (to give it a good flush through). Took the spark plugs out and turned the engine over until I had oil pressure, put the plugs back in........it fired and started straight away.  :o
Took it for a spin, just round the block......its running great. Just got to sort out all the electrics and other bits and pieces now.
The Audi sailed through its MOT today.....not one advisory.  :D
I've had a good day today.  :) :) :)