Author Topic: R Throttle Travel  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: R Throttle Travel
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2015, 17:23 »
Flipping heck Mr Ex, there's a masterclass!  You've even got me thinking about a pedal box now. :whistle: 
Am I right in thinking a pedal box has no effect on warranty?

Food for thought!   

Maybe it's my imagination but on a DSG car, I find the throttle response is better with the box in Sport and the best it can be (stock - without bolt-on enhancements) in Sport-Manual.  That's fine but the problem is when you do want to just stick it in Drive to pootle around for a bit, after Sport/manual it feels sluggish and quite reluctant.  My partner's only driven my R twice on short 'nip to the shops' trips but his first comment on the car was "feels a bit sluggish compared to the GTI" (Mk6), and I'm convinced this is the reason.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2015, 17:37 »
I've fitted a pedal box to my DSG GTi and its made a very noticeable difference, I also think the adjustability of it through the winter will be invaluable. As regards the cars warranty, its easy to take off before your visit. I declared to my insurance company, who once they understood what it was, were happy to include it without additional premium.

I bought mine second hand and I'm really pleased with it, going to treat my wife to one for xmas  :rolleyes: for her Merc as that accelerator suffers from a lot of travel
« Last Edit: 18 November 2015, 17:40 by Eccie »

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2015, 20:59 »
Thanks Mr Ex, you have answered my questions in terms I can relate to - I also go back to cables and butterflys, guess I will order one as soon a Christmas is over
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2015, 06:06 »
Sorry, yes, hopefully my disjointed ramble made some sense.
I find it hard typing long replies on the phone as the text box is a bit small, especially if people disturb me half way through and I lose my thread (excuse pun), and as for multi quoting messages on the phone...  :embarrassed: the thing just conspires against me.

Oh, as for warranty, no it won't effect any of your car's settings in the ECU. It's on another circuit and just amplifies the message coming in at certain pedal depression positions. I'd suggest switching it off when going in for servicing though in case a techie gets a bit carried away on a test drive!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2015, 13:02 »
I've fitted a pedal box to my DSG GTi and its made a very noticeable difference, I also think the adjustability of it through the winter will be invaluable. As regards the cars warranty, its easy to take off before your visit. I declared to my insurance company, who once they understood what it was, were happy to include it without additional premium.

I bought mine second hand and I'm really pleased with it, going to treat my wife to one for xmas  :rolleyes: for her Merc as that accelerator suffers from a lot of travel

Eccie,  The more I search the more confused I become, DTUK are now apparently not recommending that DSG Golfs fit their Pedal Box and the more I dig I am finding that some DSG owners love them and others have removed them after finding them unsuitable.

Could you expand on your experience please, how long have you used it, what settings do you use, does it work well in both Normal and Race modes.

I really want this to work for me but do not want to buy and then find I have wasted my cash.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2015, 13:30 »

Eccie,  The more I search the more confused I become, DTUK are now apparently not recommending that DSG Golfs fit their Pedal Box and the more I dig I am finding that some DSG owners love them and others have removed them after finding them unsuitable.

Could you expand on your experience please, how long have you used it, what settings do you use, does it work well in both Normal and Race modes.

I really want this to work for me but do not want to buy and then find I have wasted my cash.

Ive been running it for about a couple of months without any issues, had the car about for 5 months in total. Can't remember the setting I use, think its P1. I use it in normal and Individual (which I've set up as eco, but with soft suspension - for motorway cruising) I don't use race setting, it hangs on to the gears for too long, prefer to use manual instead.

I've played around with P2 setting but found it to hunt around for the gears more than I liked, less relaxing - all I can say is it takes the excess travel out of the pedal for me, so my right leg/foot isn't working that much (maybe I'm getting lazy as I mature)

I don't drive fast or accelerate hard from the traffic lights (not my style) but I do like the smooth linear effect it produces in everyday driving

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 19 November 2015, 14:10 »

Ive been running it for about a couple of months without any issues, had the car about for 5 months in total. Can't remember the setting I use, think its P1. I use it in normal and Individual (which I've set up as eco, but with soft suspension - for motorway cruising) I don't use race setting, it hangs on to the gears for too long, prefer to use manual instead.

I've played around with P2 setting but found it to hunt around for the gears more than I liked, less relaxing - all I can say is it takes the excess travel out of the pedal for me, so my right leg/foot isn't working that much (maybe I'm getting lazy as I mature)

I don't drive fast or accelerate hard from the traffic lights (not my style) but I do like the smooth linear effect it produces in everyday driving

As another who is interested in this with DSG, that's very useful info.  Thanks.

Need to get a few more views from other DSG users who might drive or set the box up differently to see how it behaves in other driving modes/scenarios.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 19 November 2015, 16:10 »
Agree - thanks for the feedback, it a seems the plan is not to use a too aggressive setting, all I want to do is eliminate the dead throttle travel and it sounds like that how you have it set up.

I will keep searching for others experiences with a view to ordering after Christmas.

Offline deco

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2015, 21:48 »
Mine seems fine, but perhaps being permanently  in Race mode makes a difference?

When maintaining a speed of less than 40mph and just giving it a little or backing off a little with the traffic flow, I find the first inch of travel very useful with plenty of control. Maybe it''s a DSG thing? The DSG box does generally prefer to knock it down a gear for all but the tiniest of acceleration rates.

Could be a DSG specific issue.

But even with DSG I find the pedal travel issue more apparent in with the gearbox in Drive. Feels pretty numb for the first inch and then the response starts to kicks in but you've still got to put in some effort.  You get used to applying greater foot pressure as necessary, but that first inch is still a dead inch.

With the box in Sport I find the delay greatly reduced and the pedal more responsive from the off, reacting quicker to lighter foot pressure. Much prefer that and might explain why I’m driving the R in S or S-manual most of the time, more so than I ever did the Mk6 GTI where the pedal response was immediate.  Might also explain the cars thirst and my decreasing mpg.  :laugh:

Observations of throttle travel in my DSG are:

In D - numb/ lack of response for first inch.  Effort required.
In D/manual (using stick or paddles) - slight improvement in early throttle response, but still some initial delay.
In S - response almost immediate, less pressure required, less pedal travel.
In S/manual (stick/paddles) - response immediate - quickest and most reactive of all, no pedal travel.

Offline deco

• Just got here
« Reply #19 on: 20 November 2015, 21:49 »
Mine seems fine, but perhaps being permanently  in Race mode makes a difference?

When maintaining a speed of less than 40mph and just giving it a little or backing off a little with the traffic flow, I find the first inch of travel very useful with plenty of control. Maybe it''s a DSG thing? The DSG box does generally prefer to knock it down a gear for all but the tiniest of acceleration rates.

Could be a DSG specific issue.

But even with DSG I find the pedal travel issue more apparent in with the gearbox in Drive. Feels pretty numb for the first inch and then the response starts to kicks in but you've still got to put in some effort.  You get used to applying greater foot pressure as necessary, but that first inch is still a dead inch.

With the box in Sport I find the delay greatly reduced and the pedal more responsive from the off, reacting quicker to lighter foot pressure. Much prefer that and might explain why I’m driving the R in S or S-manual most of the time, more so than I ever did the Mk6 GTI where the pedal response was immediate.  Might also explain the cars thirst and my decreasing mpg.  :laugh:

Observations of throttle travel in my DSG are:

In D - numb/ lack of response for first inch.  Effort required.
In D/manual (using stick or paddles) - slight improvement in early throttle response, but still some initial delay.
In S - response almost immediate, less pressure required, less pedal travel.
In S/manual (stick/paddles) - response immediate - quickest and most reactive of all, no pedal travel.