Author Topic: GTi 1.8T, strange rythmic noise, revs pulsing lightly, lights dimming.  (Read 4935 times)

Offline jlbrown3

• Not said much yet
Popped into Kwik-Fit on the way home from work to get the battery checked but as soon as the cover was lifted from the battery a problem was clear; one of the three fuses on the battery looked like it had been on fire!?  Kwik-Fit guy wasn't keen to touch it so I will have to take the car elsewhere.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Having read your reply in the other thread those fuses are a likely culprit for your cutting out/losing all electrics. Same happened to me at 60mph on a dual carriageway.. at night in the rain, while overtaking going round a bend :grin: brown trouser moment..

Offline jlbrown3

• Not said much yet
Looks like the ABS (hydraulic pump) fuse has spectacularly blown, I don't know whether this is a symptom of my power-loss/cutting out problems, the cause, or a new unrelated problem.  I have the car booked in with VW to have fuse and fuse holder replaced, I wasn't inspired with confidence when the guy I was speaking to didn't seem to have a clue what the fuses on the battery were for?

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
Having read your reply in the other thread those fuses are a likely culprit for your cutting out/losing all electrics. Same happened to me at 60mph on a dual carriageway.. at night in the rain, while overtaking going round a bend :grin: brown trouser moment..

I bet you must have made a proper mess on your seats mate.  :shocked:

That is scary I wouldnt leave quick fit alone with my motor
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!

Offline theshrew

• GTI forum regular
I doubt if the ABS fuse has blown that thats the problem although if the fuse holder has been on fire then this could of caused some.

The Aircon pump kicking in will change your revs for a second because when its you do so its suddenly putting a load on the engine that wasnt there before. The ECU will then alter the air/ fuel etc and the engine should run as normal but uses more fuel because of teh extra load.

Offline jlbrown3

• Not said much yet
Sick of pumping money into this so just got a bypass done on the offending fuse connection and had the alternator checked (which was fine).  Car is running normally today but I'll just have to wait and see.

Offline jlbrown3

• Not said much yet
Cars been running with absolutly no problems since I had the burnt out fuse connection bypassed, so I would recommend that anyone who is experience cutting out and power-loss problems to have a quick check of the fuse-box on their battery just in case.  What I wouldn't recommend is to drive you car into a wall like I did yesterday :cry:  Just waiting for the derisory offer from my insurance to write it off.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Cars been running with absolutly no problems since I had the burnt out fuse connection bypassed, so I would recommend that anyone who is experience cutting out and power-loss problems to have a quick check of the fuse-box on their battery just in case.  What I wouldn't recommend is to drive you car into a wall like I did yesterday :cry:  Just waiting for the derisory offer from my insurance to write it off.

ah that wasn't a good move lol

gutted mate - as long as you're in one piece and no one was hurt thats the main thing  :smiley:

Offline perd999

• Here all the time
HUH, was that down to the the problem u were having ???

Offline jlbrown3

• Not said much yet
HUH, was that down to the the problem u were having ???

Nah, it snowed in Belfast yesterday morning and I was on an untreated road, hit a patch of ice, lost the back end and couldn't get it back under control.  Impact was pretty low-speed but there's plent of damage.