Author Topic: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'  (Read 94396 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'
« on: 28 November 2005, 13:10 »
Here you go :)
« Last Edit: 20 January 2006, 13:07 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Re: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - BLACK SOY'
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2005, 13:24 »
Hi all,

Short story for you - bought the car early in 2005 (April 2005) with a light rear end smash (mainly bumper damage)- got it repaired, then had engine issues - replaced bottom end, lots of upgrades and replaced parts throught out.

Spec of car

1992 (K reg) Black Mk1 Golf Cabriolet / Convertible – (Black code: L041)
Electric Hood - works perfectly and hood in A1 condition
59,000 miles (at least 45k under average!!) – April 2005 (61,600 miles in Dec 2005)
Karman interior – perfect condition
14” Snowflake Alloys - they have been refurb now - so they look like new :)
Immobiliser / Alarm installed, Plus some other devices :)
Central Locking
Excellent bodywork
1.8 GTI engine
5 Speed Gearbox

Work done on the car from April - August 2005

New rear bumper, flog light, rear end boot lid put on car - when repair to rear was done - see pictures below see difference :)

Installed the VW Scuttle cover
Replaced all broken side trim clips
Installed my three pedal covers - I will always buy all three of these now - they look wicked...
Complete service on engine - oil and air filters, spark plugs, spark plug leads, dist cap and rotary arm, plus oil flush and new oil, brake fuild top up, including Timing belt and fan belt changed - checked all gaskets on car - just need to replace rocker cover gaasket... will do sunday...

Parts brought for servicing of car

Installed new front disks and pads (Mintex brake pads front and rear - bought from http://www.atozmotorspares.co.uk/suppliers/mintex.htm)
Checked rear brakes - cylinders were completely shot - so replaced them with new items
Fresh brake fluid as well - always good to do.

New front brakes set-up (old and new)

New and old pads

Rear brake repairs

Tune the car after service - it runs even smoother now.  :smiley:

Feel alot better now driving the car knowing that all new parts installed (always worry about timing belt... - you should check if you are unsure when it was last changed, they don't cost alot to replace, but if they snap - say good-bye to your engine...

Bought full set of Carpets matts interior and boot matt from JustMatz with GTI design in middle of all 4 interior matts - A1 quality products.

So I went to London VW show in August and meet up with Lewy from the forum and here is picture of our cars  :smiley:

Work done Aug - Dec 2005

Wasn't happy with the way the front of the car was - plus I noticed the battery tray was rotten and wanted to smooth off the front of the bumper. When I took off the front bumper to work on - drove the car around for a week with no bumper and some lovely person in a shopping car park smashed in to the front of my golf and ripped the front slam panel on the right hand side in - so that was it - new front slam panel going on the car - you can see picture below were I took the front of the car apart.

So I replaced front slam panel - VAG part

Replaced battery tray panel - VAG part
cleaned up rad/fan cover and other parts and painted

I ordered new front badge less single lights Mk1 grill

New crystal main lights

New crystal front bumper (same spec of VAG ones - not the smaller bumper ones) indicators

New arch inside and outside screws

I prepared and painted the whole front of the car including wings, front arch's and bonnect as well as inside engine bay area and front slam - looked great. :)

Put car back together again and then was off to US for work and then on holiday to Egypt in Nov 2005.

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:13 by Madone_si »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2005, 22:48 »
Picture below is work I did on car in August 05 - strip off front car to do a complete replacement of front panel and battery tray, and respray complete front of the car. Fun fun - full details of car will be updated in a few days to see what the car looks like now..

Poor front panel.... hehehe

New front panel installed and new battery tray as well - all ready for going into garage for respray

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:06 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2005, 15:16 »
Front of car sprayed up after completing the prep work. Also smoothed off the front bumper and relocated the front number plate. Also changed the rear lights too :)

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:08 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2005, 15:43 »
Work for Jan/Feb 2006 on the black cab

Install new suspension
Install new wheels....?? Let you all guess on that!! hehe
Find and install new Hand brake switch - playing up last few days
Find and install A Pillar Trim - one of them is broken
Finish off install of Electric windows - cabling

Had issues with front CV joint the other week - so had that replaced while up north :)
Also second gear in gearbox is playing up - so got to take gearbox out and work on that when got suspension off.

Cleaned car today :)
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:15 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2006, 18:06 »
So over the Xmas period I thought I would install and finally create my boot area stereo panels for my new amp, 6x9 and sub.

In short I made up from MDF - boot floor (with cut out for getting to spare wheel), sides and special speaker shelf to hold 6x9 and 12" sub with amp cover - so you can't see any cables and everything is locked into the boot with hidden large blots.

A few days later all was completed and I have to say its looking rather professional finish!

From this;

To this;

Ordered a few bits today - so can install new suspension next week.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:20 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2006, 14:46 »
So my new parts for my suspension turned up today - I'm trying to keep the car to standard spec if poss.

New VAG Front Pair of (heavy Duty) Uprated Gti struts (will sell the dampers on ebay... as replace them with Weitec dampers)
New VAG 2 Top spring carrier plates
NEW Uprated 2 bump stops fitted with VAG gaiters
NEW VAG 2 spring steel washers
NEW VAG 2 strut top locking nuts
NEW VAG top mounts

Have Weitec Ultra GT Suspension Kit front and rear - 35MM drop - kicking around in the garage - so will use this. This includes new springs, and dampers for front and back. I'm only going for 35MM drop as I don't want to loss to much of the smooth ride of the car (K&W Coilovers may go on the car if I'm not happy with the end result....!!  :grin:)

Weitec kit..

New front suspension parts..

New Top mounts

So the old and new against each other!!!

So I've sent my new wheels off for refurb - due back in 2 weeks time....

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:27 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2006, 16:45 »
So I've had issues with my hand brake light in the dash staying on. So a few weeks ago I tried the following out;

1. I've checked the switch itself with another one - all fine. 
2. I've taken the one cable off the hand brake switch - good connection and switch itself is fine as well.(The wire or switch on the handbrake lever is just an earth wire)

From the lovely people at golfgti.co.uk - thanks all that replied  :smiley:

Was told to check all wires to light/switch as the wire might have worn down to the wire somewhere and be touching bare metal thus making an earth.

Was also told if the brake fluid level if low this will make the hand brake switch stay on. Light doubles up as a low fluid level indicator.

So the fix is.....

Well after getting a tad bored with working from home - I thought what the hell - lets fix that hand brake switch issue on the car.

Before I started to take the dash apart... (got that down to 20 minutes now   ) I thought I would double check switch itself again and the dash board switch - all worked fine.

So I then thought lets check the brake fluid level - all OK up to Max level, then I noticed the cable onto of the brake fluid chamber was slightly off - so I pushed it back - checked the light switch in the dash and guess what????? The light went out - pulled the hand brake up and the light come on - took hand brake down - light turned off.......   

It's fixed and all due to cable on brake fluid chamber not being on correct.... happy again... another item off the list to do.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2006, 16:47 by Madone »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2006, 16:50 »
Suspension update....

Ok so I've installed the new suspension in the car its 40mm drop at front and back not 35mm as I said before - I've got loads of pictures and I have to say alot of write up on it as well - so I'll get pictures uploaded this week and get write up down this weekend - car looks much better now and the ride is still smooth - Weitec Ultra GT Suspension Kit is A1 and a bargain.  :grin: :grin:

Pictures of car lowered...

Items I bought this week.

Second hand rear window frame - as mine is starting to rust in one corner - for a bargain £25.00 - will get it professional restored so will last forever.
Also got two sets of A pillar trim covers - £10 each set - one of mine was broken so replaced that today as well  :grin:

On the look out for Electric Recaro front seats to install in cab - so please keep a look out and tell me if you find any? thanks
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:33 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
Re: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2006, 12:12 »
Whole project Section updated with more details for all  :grin:

Work for Jan/Feb 2006 on the black cab - update

Install new suspension - COMPLETED
Install new wheels....?? Let you all guess on that!! hehe - keep changing my mind now...
Find and install new Hand brake switch - playing up last few days - issue Fixed - COMPLETED
Find and install A Pillar Trim - one of them is broken - installed - COMPLETED
Finish off install of Electric windows - cabling - will be in Feb 2006

Today I'm off to get my exhaust sorted - front down pipe is making alot of noise...
« Last Edit: 26 January 2006, 12:23 by Madone »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92