Author Topic: gti exhaust  (Read 7786 times)

Offline 4overpar

• Just got here
gti exhaust
« on: 12 February 2020, 14:30 »
Hi Guy's,
First post on here so please be gentle :smiley:
Just bought a 1999 1.8 GTI with a few little problems needing seeing too so will probably be on here quite a bit in the future...!!
First up is the exhaust - where is generally the best place to buy a good quality complete exhaust (plus cat) system?
I just want to replace with a standard like for like (non sports, it's a daily!)
I would imagine VW would be very expensive so is after market the best way to go?
Any input would be very much appreciated.

cheers

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: gti exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2020, 19:30 »
What is up with your own exhaust as a full new system including cat is probably more than cars worth

Offline 4overpar

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2020, 23:02 »
Hi, thanks for the reply.
There is a blow coming from the front and rear of the exhaust but due to the recent weather I cant get under to have a proper look.
I have access to a ramp tomorrow so should see exactly what is up, I am just considering the worst case scenario of a full exhaust (aftermarket) which can be bought complete with cat and brackets/clamps for £220 !!??

Hope the car is worth more than that... :smiley: :smiley:

cheers

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2020, 23:25 »
aftermarket cats are useless. they don't flow properly and you'll be lucky to pass an mot emissions test after 12 months usage.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2020, 06:59 »
Hi, thanks for the reply.
There is a blow coming from the front and rear of the exhaust but due to the recent weather I cant get under to have a proper look.
I have access to a ramp tomorrow so should see exactly what is up, I am just considering the worst case scenario of a full exhaust (aftermarket) which can be bought complete with cat and brackets/clamps for £220 !!??

Hope the car is worth more than that... :smiley: :smiley:

cheers

Not worth much more if anything

Offline 4overpar

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2020, 09:33 »
Thanks for that Topher, hopefully the cat is ok when I get a look today.

barrym
My car is a one owner, 62k miles with FVWSH, apart from slight corrosion on the bottom of the front wings and the odd age related mark the car is immaculate!
Exhausts like brakes, general servicing are wear and tear that every car will have at some point.
I think this one deserves at least an exhaust.. if needed :smiley:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2020, 15:53 »
Thanks for that Topher, hopefully the cat is ok when I get a look today.

barrym
My car is a one owner, 62k miles with FVWSH, apart from slight corrosion on the bottom of the front wings and the odd age related mark the car is immaculate!
Exhausts like brakes, general servicing are wear and tear that every car will have at some point.
I think this one deserves at least an exhaust.. if needed :smiley:

All that means nothing in a world where mk4 gtis  are worth peanuts regardless of mileage and history and if you’ve just bought it I’d been keen to hear what u paid for it

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2020, 16:19 »
On a massive mk4 downer Barry?! So if anything at all needs spending on a mk4 you just bin it?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2020, 16:27 »
On a massive mk4 downer Barry?! So if anything at all needs spending on a mk4 you just bin it?

Or buy another for 50 quid  :grin:

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2020, 16:28 »
Bad man  :evil:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity