Author Topic: Which head unit ?  (Read 3056 times)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Which head unit ?
« on: 17 September 2005, 13:37 »
Right then, as some of you may or may not have seen, I recently lost a Sony CDX M800 headunit to a set of thieving druggie scumbags, so I need to replace it now but I'm certainly no head unit expert and if I can grab a bargain off e-bay then I may as well, the only thing is I dont know which are good makes these days or what to search for. The stipulations for the HU are that I have an amp and a sub to go into it so it needs to be compatible with that and also needs to be face off as the previous one wasnt. I'm not bothered about it being a stacker, just a single Disc player will suffice, so what are your recomendations ? What should I look for on ebay etc ?

Thanks.  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
Re: Which head unit ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2005, 13:45 »
you want an alpine if you got the extra cash lying about  :cool:

i had a sony mp3 CDX-F7700 which looked good with the dash leds and had 3-4 in/outputs but the only down side was that it was silver. sounded good too
http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=sony+mp3+cdx+f7700&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-img-t&fl=0&x=wrt
:)

Offline Bazzer

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2005, 15:15 »
I've got a Sony one for sale if you want it PM me! it's a cdx l580 (also in for sale section)  :grin:

EDIT - doens't do MP3s though... D'oh!
« Last Edit: 20 September 2005, 07:02 by Bazzer »

Bazzer

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2005, 00:17 »
If you want pure quality sound and reserved looks I'd go for a Pioneer 77mp. They're about £220 I think. MP3 playback hi-volt pre-outs for amps.

if you want racing cars on the screen and all that the Alpine 9855 is a good buy and the top seller at the moment. These are about £200 too.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline j_s

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2005, 12:02 »
I would also say the Pioneer, I nearly bought it for my girlfriend's car but opted for a slightly cheaper Pioneer in the end as I just couldn't get the rest of the cash for it (I needed it for my own install  :tongue:)

There is a 2nd hand one on Talk Audio's Forum Exchange for £150 if you look in their head unit section of the exchange.
James

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2005, 16:10 »

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2005, 22:42 »
yes. the sound quality is very very high which makes up for the lack of eye candy. I think the look of those is superb. I'm putting one in my next car defo.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2005, 09:21 »
It does look sweet though, I like it but it's just a multi cd isnt it so I'd have the extra expense of getting a stacker, was after just a single CD player really.  :undecided:

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2005, 09:38 »
I'm with blue on this one........alpine
Build and sound quality are excellent on their headunits.
As soon as I can afford it I'll be having another alpine.

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2005, 19:09 »
It does look sweet though, I like it but it's just a multi cd isnt it so I'd have the extra expense of getting a stacker, was after just a single CD player really. :undecided:

it is a single cd player  :tongue:  a very good one :)

noticed on that pioneer link that finally someone has done a decent head unit with integrated bluetooth:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/files/eur/DEHP70BT/index.html
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity