Author Topic: How To: Replace GTI High Level Brake Light WITHOUT REMOVING SPOILER  (Read 139187 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Maybe a Mod could sticky this then  :smiley:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline timfranco

• Just got here
found this forum last night after garage failed my car its MOT 'cos the high level brake light wasn't working.

followed the instructions and BINGO ! it's now fixed.

I also put a bead of silicon around the joints and re-directed the rear wash jet as it was aimed right in the crack.

Thanks a lot UB7RM you saved me a fortune !

Offline celica

• GTI forum regular
found this forum last night after garage failed my car its MOT 'cos the high level brake light wasn't working.

followed the instructions and BINGO ! it's now fixed.

I also put a bead of silicon around the joints and re-directed the rear wash jet as it was aimed right in the crack.

Thanks a lot UB7RM you saved me a fortune !

third brake light isn't necessary to pass MOT though

Offline bacillus

• I live here
afaik if the car comes with a third brake light as standard, to pass the mot it must be working. 
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
^^ Indeed, I did a bit of research into this and found it was a very grey area.  Probably comes down to what your tester had for breakfast, but:

If its fitted, it has to work.  BUT you can disconnect it and theoretically you could pass.

But then, type approval for mk5 golfs includes them having a working third rear brake light...

Clear as mud and like I say probably comes down to the individual tester.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
^^ Indeed, I did a bit of research into this and found it was a very grey area.  Probably comes down to what your tester had for breakfast, but:

If its fitted, it has to work.  BUT you can disconnect it and theoretically you could pass.

But then, type approval for mk5 golfs includes them having a working third rear brake light...

Clear as mud and like I say probably comes down to the individual tester.

Type Approval is the crucial bit!  :wink:

Great initial post BTW, thanks for sharing. :afro: :afro:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline AndyGTImk5

• Just got here
Just thought I'd comment and say a big thanks for this post, having suffered with a similar story.... MK5 GTI, just out of warranty (2month) and the rear high level LED went pop due to water ingress!

To cut a long story short, VW customer services would offer 30% discount on the £415 repair bill :undecided: (based on age of car, mileage, servicing history etc), which I politely declined.
Next day, purchased the parts direct from VW and following instruction posted here, completed a repair in 20 mins as suggested.
Not bad considering the £380ish saving and minimal effort!!

Any one else suffering from the same- give it a go (unless in warranty- although you risk a new sprayed spoiler being attached)

Cheers!!!  :smiley:

Offline Upperoilcan

• GTI forum regular
Woke up this morning to find my upper brake light hanging from the spoiler(No joke),got the old unit out which was obviously no problem at all....lol

However looking at pic 7 from this excellent thread ive noticed that my car does not have the fitting bolts as it appears my light was broken at both fixing points resulting in the light being stuck on.... :evil:

Now im off to vw tomoz to source the new light but will it come with the fixing bolts or will i need to get these as an extra ?

Any help will be a blessing cheers..
Mk7 GTI in black,DSG,fully loaded.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Answered in the main board but if this helps with any future questions ...

Do you mean the picture that shows the metal bit sticking out of the slot?

This is the bit thats left in when you 'rip' the old unit out, the bit you are seeing in that picture used to be inside the light unit and is what the screw from the back of the spoiler tightens into.  Its a stupid design and its why VW say you cant replace the light without taking the spoiler off.  The replacement unit will have this integrated into it but of course you cant put the screws in.  If you were to follow my method you just slide that up out of the slot and discard.

Must be about a year since I did this repair and all I did was connect up the cable, then push the light into the housing, it snaps into place and even a year on is absolutely rock solid.  HTH
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline wuker

• Not said much yet
Hi All

The fulty light symbol is on on my dash board at the moment.

It says its the rear right light - I assume that is the drivers side?

Out of interest how do you get the old bulb out to replace it?

Do you have to take the entire light out to replace the bulb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers