Author Topic: Running costs  (Read 13092 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Running costs
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2019, 22:29 »
If anything I actually prefer the gti interior. Not a fan of leather for a start even the Audi leather which is actually really nice. I find the whole mmi a bit old fashioned in the Audi too. The gti seats are also far more supportive. Also not sure the plastics are better. There’s a really awful bit in the S3 that my knee generally rests against which really annoys me. I hear the FL S3 interior quality has suffered from penny pinching too. Only what I’ve read on Audi sport. Didn’t notice it myself on a test drive.

Then again all my mates say the S3 interior is special. It’s so subjective. I looked at an i30N which I though was ok inside until I jumped straight into an R afterwards.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2019, 11:09 »
Thinking of taking the plunge - what can I expect for typical running costs with regards to tyres? Does it churn through a pair of fronts in 10k? I’m used to getting 20k+ out of mine, albeit in my 150ps Audi A3. Also what about MPGs? Audi S3 is also on my short list as it will cost the same on pcp but I expect with much higher costs? Any GTI owners who’ve come from an S3 for comparison?

None of the 4 cylinder VW group engines vary much in running costs.
The low powered ones tend to have to be driven harder to keep up with traffic so only really gain much MPG significance on long steady slowish runs without too many steep hills.
The GTI is not much worse on fuel than a 1.4 in many respects. The R and S3 are worse on fuel than a GTI  but not by huge amounts over low to average mileage use. The latter two do require premium high RON fuel to be at their best too.

The factory Bridgstones last forever on GTI’s, which is beautifully ironic as most owners hate them.

Servicing costs are much of a muchness with all the 4 cyl cars. Add in a Haldex service for the S3.

If it were me, I’m not a huge fan of the S3 but if the PCP costs were the same I’d have a very hard choice myself. I think I’d plump for the S3 so long as it didn’t have the chrome window surrounds. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2019, 11:19 »
Having literally just been through the same exercise myself I went for a new GTI 245, over a new RS3, S3, R and A43.

PCP costs aren't the same, because the higher GFV on the more expensive cars means there is more interest payable over the term. You are always better off with a lower GFV if you plan to keep art over the whole term. Also don't forget a a decent (and equivalent specced) Golf sits under the £40k luxury tax threshold meaning road tax for the first 5 years is only £140 a year rather than £450 on the other cars.

The GTI manages to give 99% of the other cars, for a smaller price. The red in the GTI cabin, IMO, makes it feel a lot more special than the R. Plus there's also the thievability factor, 4WD hot hatches are magnets for theft right now, so the FWD Golf reduces that risk (although doesn't eliminate it due to them still going walks, just less so).

Discount on the Golf currently sits at a healthy 15%, so you can throw some options at it and still sit comfortably under the £40k barrier and just a smidgen above £30k.

c£30k for a GTI with a good spec, good MPG and a nice feeling cabin - no brainer to me.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2019, 11:21 »
The S3 I spec’d came to around £37k so was also under the 40k threshold. Also, the keyless entry as standard is a security risk on the Golf. Suffice to say that’s a £500 option on the Audi. Other than that, I do tend to agree on all other points. The only reason going S3 for me, would be for the badge.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2019, 12:23 »
The S3 I spec’d came to around £37k
So pretty much just the paint then?!?  :grin:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2019, 12:24 »
Agreed.

Re the 19” Brescias - does it need DCC to make the ride bearable or is it ok without? The model I took on a test drive had DCC so hard to tell.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2019, 12:33 »
Re the 19” Brescias - does it need DCC to make the ride bearable or is it ok without? The model I took on a test drive had DCC so hard to tell.
In my opinion, yes it is needed, but others will have a different view depending on personal circumstances. Whilst I suspect most would spec DCC for it's sporty ability, I specced it for the "comfort" setting I can switch the dampers into. Amongst the a/b-road blasting, I mainly do two types of trips, short(ish) trips around London's pot-hole and speed bump laden roads, plus I also do 2x 400 mile round trip motorway journeys each month. Even switching between "normal" to "comfort" is drastically noticeable.

I test drove a non DCC car on Brescias and after 25mins my back ached badly, specifically in the area where the manual lumbar support was, so I put it down to a combination of the 19's, the manual lumbar, and my body shape. This meant the leccy seats option (which gives the 4way lumbar support) and DCC were a must for me.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2019, 12:36 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2019, 15:11 »
Discount on the Golf currently sits at a healthy 15%, so you can throw some options at it and still sit comfortably under the £40k barrier and just a smidgen above £30k.

Remember that the higher road tax threshold uses the list price of the car including options before any broker or dealer-negotiated discounts. So if you go crazy with the options, it’s possible to get to a list price that’s in excess of £40k, even though you may actually pay significantly less.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 07 January 2019, 15:17 »

Remember that the higher road tax threshold uses the list price of the car including options before any broker or dealer-negotiated discounts. So if you go crazy with the options, it’s possible to get to a list price that’s in excess of £40k, even though you may actually pay significantly less.
True true, but I was talking about the GTI, not the R. On a GTI you'd have to go mega-silly with options to get it over £40k (the £40k limit excludes OTR costs BTW). I meant you could have some nice options on a GTI and still be under the £40k, then the icing on the cake would be the 15% discount taking it to £30-32k.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2019, 17:04 »
Also, the keyless entry as standard is a security risk on the Golf.
I use a Disklok and a faraday pouch, but I've just discovered you can turn Keyless off on the Golf.

Lock the car with the fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place.

:cool:
« Last Edit: 07 January 2019, 17:06 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021