Author Topic: Autoglass Windscreen Replacement  (Read 4459 times)

Offline neepy7.5

• GTI forum regular
Autoglass Windscreen Replacement
« on: 30 December 2018, 22:15 »
Less than 350 miles on the clock and just over a week into ownership, driving down the motorway earlier today I heard a massive stone chip my windscreen. Just my luck!! Noticed the chip right in front of me and it was quite large but it’s now grown into an 8 inch crack. Anyone had their windscreen replaced by Autoglass on their 7.5? Also does it have any effect on my insurance if I do it through them?
'68 7.5 Golf GTI Performance 3dr DSG, Isaac Blue

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Autoglass Windscreen Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2018, 06:46 »
You would just pay your glass excess and autoglass will sort with your insurance. If you want a genuine or VW stamped screen you need to request it but as was discussed in a previous thread screens are made by Pilkington and then stamped with the VW logo.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2018, 08:09 »
I had a screen replaced on an old 7, by Autoglass, due to a huge crack.

Painless process... booked a time over the phone, paid the excess, they came out a few days later and in a couple of hours the new screen was fitted. There’s no impact to insurance premiums or policy.

A word of caution though, the screens fitted by these glass companies are not VW branded, but if you request one they will order it for you, it’ll just take a bit longer.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2018, 08:36 »
Out of interest, what would happen if you needed a new Climate Windscreen replacement.  Would you still be able to go to Autoglass to get this done, or would you have to get VW involved as it may need to be a genuine VW part? 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2018, 09:20 »
No idea about VW climate screens but over the many years of having Fords with heated windscreens, its never bothered Autoglass, you just mention its a heated one and they supply...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2018, 09:38 »
Autoglass will replace whatever screen is fitted as stock, standard, graduated, climate through your insurance. Just make sure they have the correct screen before they take the damaged one out.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2018, 09:56 »
cheers for the info guys, its worth knowing for future reference. 

Offline neepy7.5

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2018, 10:16 »
Thanks guys. Spoke to Autoglass and they’ve ordered an original, just waiting to hear back from the manufacturer and they’ll confirm an appointment
'68 7.5 Golf GTI Performance 3dr DSG, Isaac Blue

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2018, 13:17 »
My last windscreen replacement on a previous car was done by Nationwide Motorglass and I would say make sure the screen is correct before they take yours out. Also once fitted make sure you are entirely happy with the repair before signing off as I found they had broken a seal which I didn't spot until after they had gone and also on the way home from work there was excessive wind noise. After complaining they sent a senior fitter out to check it over and also found the screen was fitted off centre which resulted in the wind noise.
It took me 2 months to get it sorted as they had to re-order the oem Mini screen and the broken seal trim at their own expense, to compound matters they also had to pay to have the trim replaced at my local Mini dealer as they didn't know how to remove it.
So definitely make sure your happy with the repair and hopefully you get a decent fitter not like the cowboy who did mine   :whistle:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2018, 13:24 »
My last windscreen replacement on a previous car was done by Nationwide Motorglass and I would say make sure the screen is correct before they take yours out. Also once fitted make sure you are entirely happy with the repair before signing off as I found they had broken a seal which I didn't spot until after they had gone and also on the way home from work there was excessive wind noise. After complaining they sent a senior fitter out to check it over and also found the screen was fitted off centre which resulted in the wind noise.
It took me 2 months to get it sorted as they had to re-order the oem Mini screen and the broken seal trim at their own expense, to compound matters they also had to pay to have the trim replaced at my local Mini dealer as they didn't know how to remove it.
So definitely make sure your happy with the repair and hopefully you get a decent fitter not like the cowboy who did mine   :whistle:
I’d concur with this. The biggest reason for bodged jobs is the targets the fitters are now given.

When mine was being fitted I positively commented on how much care he was taking, to which he responded that he now misses all his bonus targets due to unrealisticly set expectations. He went on to tell me that when he started fitting screens his targets were 4-6 a day. That’s now risen to 8-10 a day with a max allocated time of 45mins per screen! He said those targets were impossible if he wanted to keep good quality work and a reasonable working day, plus if he messed up and a client complained he didn’t get paid for the job. He now takes the approach that it’s better financially for him to miss his bonus targets and simply give good quality service, rather than rush and hope the client doesn’t complain.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.