Author Topic: Unwanted attention... In a Golf GTi???  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Unwanted attention... In a Golf GTi???
« on: 30 December 2018, 21:51 »
So tonight I was driving down the A1 heading towards the in-laws in Sheffield, cruise set at 70. The roads were pretty quiet and i was just taking it steady, I then came to overtake an old Merc that was doing about 65 and as I got alongside it he floored it to stop me overtaking so dropped in behind and let him get on with it, I was in no rush.

A minute later I caught him up again, I'd still got my cruise control on so he'd obviously slowed back down. Went to overtake... Same thing happened.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? Didn't really expect anything like that to happen in a Golf GTi, it's not exactly a car that screams race me like a Focus RS etc.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
Re: Unwanted attention... In a Golf GTi???
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2018, 22:06 »
I get it quite often especially when I'm in the 44 tonner that I get use to but when it happens in the car I just smile to myself uttering the words ars- ---e lol :tongue:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2018, 22:36 »
Had it last night coming back from family meal out, pretty much the same thing- cruise control set at 70 pulled out to overtake a Dacia Duster and boom suddenly puts his foot down, pulls back in and he slows down again - just kept a safe distance behind from that point as was coming off motorway in a few miles - my daughter who is just turned 17 and starting to have driving lessons was highly intrigued by it all.

I am lucky in that I also have a Focus RS - same sort of clowns try it on but I don’t bite, past all that nonsense so I am used to it but Why ??
« Last Edit: 30 December 2018, 22:39 by Philb280 »

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2018, 22:59 »
I get it quite often especially when I'm in the 44 tonner that I get use to but when it happens in the car I just smile to myself uttering the words ars- ---e lol :tongue:

Nothing more frustrating than a car doing 54mph when you're in the lorry.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2018, 23:28 »

Nothing more frustrating than a car doing 54mph when you're in the lorry.

Yep, some tool doing 54mph, sees a hgv overtaking them then wakes up or gets off there phone and speeds up. Happens everyday, just smile and wave boys, smile and wave

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2018, 07:44 »
I always found that I never had any issues until I bought a red gti and my white ed35. You want to try driving an Audi. I can’t believe the issues I had in it, from people not letting me on motorways to random people just hurling abuse at me. Ah, the great British public...
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2018, 10:33 »
I doubt it had anything to do with your car. Some other drivers are just as..oles. It may have had more to do with their car. Mercedes, BMW and Audi drivers in my experience tend to be driven by the biggest as..oles.

On Friday night I was driving home about 8pm. It was dark and raining. I rounded a sweeping corner and could see car tail lights way ahead of me. I glimpsed something on the road in between so put on my full beams. It was a black volvo hatchback driving with no lights on. :shocked: I played back the dash cam footage later. I could hear my self exclaim, "Jesus Christ!" when I saw the black car in my headlights, driving 100 yards in front of me. About 500 yards up the road they put their lights on. I still can't believe what I saw.

Unfortunately, the dash cam footage was not good enough to identify the car. Or I would have contacted the police. I spent quite a bit of time at weekend researching how to get better night footage on a dash cam. Turns out the dash cam I have is about as good as it gets. I have updated the firmware, changed some settings and cleaned the lens, polarizing filter and windscreen. Dash cams are just not good in complete darkness with dipped headlights. Apparently no dash cam will allow you to capture oncoming car number plates at night.

Does anyone know if a rear facing dash cam will capture a car number plate in the dark when it passes?

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2018, 11:11 »
Yeah I think it's just the great unwashed British public.......not specifically related to the car although I'm sure there are a few more instances with the GTI badge......

I had exactly the same in my Shogun last night driving back at 11:30 pm from Wetherby, Yorkshire to near Chester..........deserted motorway Tiguan in middle lane, nothing on nearside as far as you could see, each time I went to overtake he put his foot down......i then pulled back to inside lane and a few minutes later i'm back in outside overtaking the middle lane hogger who's speed keeps drifting ....again put his foot down.........in the end I just ran past at well over the speed limit and kept that up for about 10 minutes until I was well clear of the idiot, but why do people do this......if others want to overtake me I move over.

I wonder whether they think I'm doing the speed limit  " he's " not allowed to overtake me because I'm going as fast as the limit says I can go so I'll try and stop him or make it difficult?  Wouldn't mind I was only trying to run on gps 70......it's a truck afterall !!
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2018, 11:17 »
What dash cam have you got Dazauto? I get really good and clear images from my Thinkware cam.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2018, 13:58 »
Nothing to do with the car, just idiots. The same ones who park right next to you in an otherwised deserted carpark or do a u-turn via the left lane entering a roundabout nearly removing the front of your car.

The only attention I can confirm was for my car has only ever been positive and plenty of it. Not sure quite what it is about the GTI but people really do like it! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.