Author Topic: WLTP Golf GTI Performance petrol particulate filter query  (Read 16242 times)

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
Hi all,

New to this forum, have ordered the above.....delivery end March 19, trading in my loyal MK4 Tdi 190,000 miles.....all by me and serviced by me, other than timing belts. The MK4 has been totally reliable and is still on the same clutch but the rust is setting in and it's time to move on.

Ordered with DSG, 7 speed wet clutch model.........anyone know if this is the wet clutch DSG that has added another gear.....I'm hoping it's not made by LUK that make the old 7 speed dry clutch model ( I think that is the maker of the dry clutch DSG that was fitted to lower powered engines)

Anyone been able to get a complete understanding on the PPF fitted to these new one's ....specifically where the filter is mounted and what triggers and controls the regeneration cycle when the passive cycle hasn't been able to clear the filter.

Or even better has anyone been running one for > 4K miles and noticed anything?

Cheers in advance
« Last Edit: 30 December 2018, 15:18 by Grahamt »
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Re: WLTP Golf GTI Performance petrol particulate filter query
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2018, 15:21 »
Won't be anyone has been running a GTI with particulate filter long enough to have 4000 miles. They only recently passed the new emissions regulations and to deliveries have only started in the past couple of weeks.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2018, 15:37 »
Won't be anyone has been running a GTI with particulate filter long enough to have 4000 miles. They only recently passed the new emissions regulations and to deliveries have only started in the past couple of weeks.

Thanks for that.....Will just have to see if others can shed light on my other questions 🙂

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2018, 15:38 »
From what I was told at Progressive Parts, my 2018 Performance which I got in June has the the petrol particulate filter. You can see it in this picture.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2018, 16:26 »
I wouldn't have thought anyone will have any issue with a PPF. Don't petrol engines get hotter than diesels?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2018, 18:07 »
From what I was told at Progressive Parts, my 2018 Performance which I got in June has the the petrol particulate filter. You can see it in this picture.

Wow that's quite a large unit, I was expecting a small filter like my wife's DPF which is tiny.
Thanks for posting the picture

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2018, 18:13 »
I wouldn't have thought anyone will have any issue with a PPF. Don't petrol engines get hotter than diesels?

Yes they do run hotter than diesels and from what I've read on a bmw site then don't add addition fuel to generate a regeneration sequence.

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2018, 18:20 »

Yes they do run hotter than diesels and from what I've read on a bmw site then don't add addition fuel to generate a regeneration sequence.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2018, 18:51 »
The UP! GTI has been running a GPF from launch (although strangely, 115ps 1.0TSI engined variants of other models didn't - but probably do now since Summer shutdown). My May build Polo GTI+ certainly doesn't have one.

Petrol engines don't run hotter than diesel engines (diesel combusting at 700C under pressure induced autoignition  Petrol ignited at about 400C by spark ).

The petrol engine being much less efficient kicks out a lot more heat to the exhaust as less kinetic energy is produced. So the exhaust warms up quicker  which is what you need for particulate filter regeneration and burning off those particulates. Petrol particulates are smaller/finer than diesel ones, so are also easier to burn off.

There should be very few people getting GPFs clogging up in use, unless they literally have a 2 mile commute.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2018, 20:47 »
I belive the search for the missing dsg fart endeth here!  :whistle:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.