Author Topic: Main Beam Control doesn’t work  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Main Beam Control doesn’t work
« on: 29 December 2018, 08:31 »
Took delivery of new GTI PP last weekend. It has dynamic cornering lights which, as I understand, should include main beam control.
The cornering lights work fine but I can’t seem to get the main beam control to work- I have to manually dip the headlights when vehicles ahead, and no “A” in instrument cluster to indicate it is on.
I have checked headlight function is “ auto “, speed has reached 37mph, travel mode is “L- hand traffic “, driver mode is “sport”. I have tried turning dynamic cornering light function on and off in the settings menu but still can’t get main beam control to work.
Have I missed something, should the car be equipped with this function or is there a fault?
Any advice would be appreciated.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Main Beam Control doesn’t work
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2018, 08:45 »
Dynamic Curve Lighting does not include Dynamic Light Assist. So is your car a MY18 or MY19?

On MY18 it was an option (in conjunction with Dynamic Lane Assist), but for MY19 the Lane assist and Dynamic Light assist is now standard on the Performance (still an option on the normal 230 GTI).
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2018, 08:58 »
It must be MY18- though when I collected, i was given another brochure for my car with the full MY19 spec ( though it doesn’t have lane Assist/camera/keyless).
I do know it was a week 46 build.
It’s all a bit confusing what it does and doesn’t have. Sounds like it’s a MY18, which you are saying won’t have main beam control?

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2018, 09:02 »
It must be MY18- though when I collected, i was given another brochure for my car with the full MY19 spec ( though it doesn’t have lane Assist/camera/keyless).
It’s all a bit confusing what it does and doesn’t have. Sounds like it’s a MY18, which you are saying won’t have main beam control?
If it doesn't have Assist/Camera/Keyless then it's a MY18 car, and sadly Dynamic Light Assist was an option. Here's the MY18 brochure page (bottom row) which gives detail of what was included in the option...

It is that option which is now standard on the MY19 Performance.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2018, 09:22 »
No camera means no Headlight assist. It is crap anyway so you are not missing anything. Too slow to react and that is when it does eventually.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2018, 09:26 »
Thanks very much for that. It’s a a useful option on the family Alhambra, but i’m sure i’ manage without.
Great pics of your Isaac Blue car, btw- very nice
If it doesn't have Assist/Camera/Keyless then it's a MY18 car, and sadly Dynamic Light Assist was an option. Here's the MY18 brochure page (bottom row) which gives detail of what was included in the option...

It is that option which is now standard on the MY19 Performance.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2018, 09:49 »
You can tell if your car has dynamic light assist by the fact that when low beams are on, all 4 headlights are on (both the inners and the outers on both sides). Without DLA, only the outside headlamp units on each side are functional on low beam.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2018, 10:03 »
I have had success in activating high beam assist in a 2017 audi Q5 via OBDEleven. For £125 I doubt they are adding any hardware to the car so it should be easy to enable.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2018, 11:04 »
I'm sure it uses a different camera so it won't just be a tick box exercise.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2018, 11:25 »
You can tell if your car has dynamic light assist by the fact that when low beams are on, all 4 headlights are on (both the inners and the outers on both sides). Without DLA, only the outside headlamp units on each side are functional on low beam.

Just checked mine- only outers on so no DLA.
I did notice when I was driving that i do have sign post recognition. Seems a bit arbitrary to me!